• 5(current)
Port XBMC for Linux to run on the ASUS O!Play (O'Play / OPlay) media player hardware?
aos007 Wrote:Yep, that was me. In retrospect my suggestion would be to mount /opt to an external hard drive. Or otherwise be damn sure there's enough space on the internal flash memory. The problem is that you can't easily find that out - because of dependencies. I wanted to install mpd which is normally small but it wanted a whole bunch of space hungry dependencies and it blew up, taking the O!Play with it. Perhaps you can mount /opt externally, try to install ftp or whatever software you want and then AFTER seeing how much space is needed, you should be able to determine if it'll fit on the O!Play's internal flash.

So how exactly would that work? Do you mean make one ext3 partition and put /opt and the rest of the directories in there and then have some kind of symbolic link to /opt/...? Could the external drive just be one ext3 partition?

I don't know enough about Linux to do this. Don't you have to worry about swap partitions and so on...? You don't want the internal ram to be overwhelmed by swap files.

I'd really like to do this, but your experience has made me less reckless Smile

pmcd
Well, I wouldn't want to be the one giving out advice, seeing how I bricked mine and I don't use linux on a daily basis. But I think you'd only need to mount / as rw for a moment and create /opt directory (mkdir /opt) which will be a mountpoint. Then remount / filesystem back as read only. And then mount any external drive or directory - even a network one - to /opt as rw. You'll be using /etc/fstab to do it permanently so you may need to on occasion to temporarily remount / as rw to modify a file or two. I believe I've seen others on this thread doing something like that so just follow their lead.
mount -n -o remount,rw /
cd /
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/ opt
mount -n -o remount,ro /
mount -n -o remount,rw /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/
hijack204 Wrote:mount -n -o remount,rw /
cd /
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/ opt
mount -n -o remount,ro /
mount -n -o remount,rw /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/

Is the link statement ok?

Does it matter how I format the external drive? That is, would it be better to format it as ext3 or does it even matter? When things get executed don't they have to running on a linux formatted disk?

philip
pmcd Wrote:Is the link statement ok?

Does it matter how I format the external drive? That is, would it be better to format it as ext3 or does it even matter? When things get executed don't they have to running on a linux formatted disk?

philip

What do you mean is it ok?

Format your key to ext3.
hijack204 Wrote:What do you mean is it ok?

Format your key to ext3.

By ok I meant that there didn't seem to be a link between /opt (which would be created on the O!Play in the read only part) and

/tmp/usbmounts/sda1/opt

Wouldn't the link statement be something ( am guessing) like

ln -s /opt /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/opt

or

ln -s /opt /tmp/usbmounts/sda1

Sorry for the pickiness here but am on slippery ice :

Thank's...philip

philip
pmcd Wrote:By ok I meant that there didn't seem to be a link between /opt (which would be created on the O!Play in the read only part) and

/tmp/usbmounts/sda1/opt

Wouldn't the link statement be something ( am guessing) like

ln -s /opt /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/opt

or

ln -s /opt /tmp/usbmounts/sda1

Sorry for the pickiness here but am on slippery ice :

Thank's...philip

philip

Oh I see what your talking about. Your missing the SPACE between opt

cd /
ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/(SPACE)opt

make sure no /opt exists first
Updated CPU info .. RTD1073 400MHZ ..
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Hi guys,

I just got my ASUS O!Play yesterday and have been looking for mods. Would love to have XBMC running on it. I found this thread on another forum that discuses loading optware packages on the O!Play though it might be helpful to those that know more than me.
Question 
Guys, is this possible to mount an FTP share from the o!play? or create a shortcut to an FTP share in the usr/local/etc/dvdplayer/NetworkBrowser.ini?

or do I have to go with the whole optware thing to get some FTP client first?

total noob here, so be easy on me Smile

appreciate the help!
whoops
davilla Wrote:Humm, interesting, not much in the loadable driver area. The rest have to be compiled into the kernel. dmesg seems very lean too but I'd expect this on an embedded device.

thanks.

Are the XBMC-developers working on a kernel for the O!Play? That would be amazing...
New Firmware:
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/Digital_M.../Firmware/

Also it did not brick it as someone has reported.
Looks like they partitioned it with less space;

/ # df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 86.8M 85.3M 1.5M 98% /
/dev/mtdblock/2 16.0M 1.5M 14.5M 9% /usr/local/etc
/dev/rd/0 40.0k 40.0k 0 100% /mnt/rd
/ # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 1027 MB, 1027604480 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 124 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 125 1003488+ 6 FAT16
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(123, 254, 63) logical=(124, 237, 49)
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC for Linux to run on the ASUS O!Play (O'Play / OPlay) media player hardware?2