• 11(current)
Port XBMC for Linux to run on the ASUS O!Play (O'Play / OPlay) media player hardware?
I installed version 1.24N on my Oplay.

I was able to create a custom install.img to expand /dev/root.
Now I have enough space to create the /opt link.

/ # df
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 87424 85488 1936 98% /

/ # cat /proc/cmdline
mtdparts=rtk_nand:120576k,87424k(/),40960k(/usr/local/etc),13184k rootfstype=yaffs2 root=31:01 console=ttyS0,115200n8r ip=192.168.0.9::192.168.0.254:255.0.0.0:::
wisam Wrote:I installed version 1.24N on my Oplay.

I was able to create a custom install.img to expand /dev/root.
Now I have enough space to create the /opt link.

/ # df
/dev/root 87424 85488 1936 98% /

/ # cat /proc/cmdline
mtdparts=rtk_nand:120576k,87424k(/),40960k(/usr/local/etc),13184k rootfstype=yaffs2 root=31:01 console=ttyS0,115200n8r ip=192.168.0.9::192.168.0.254:255.0.0.0:::

would you like to share how you did that Big Grin
i am a novice in linux

best regards
HP
So I went and tried to modify the root partition size explained in

http://minimodding.com/blog9-Custom-Root-Partition-Size

Downloaded 1.18P install.img and untarred it

changed the values in configuration.xml to 0x8000000

and used the image on flash the box that is now a brick.

Value seems to be too high and there is no room in the flash for it.

Even if I reset or reboot I only get a message

"Preparing for update. It takes a few seconds."

and nothing happens.

So if you rascals try this method I would suggest a more conservative value...

Is there anyway to get the o!play booted or is there any way to flash the o!play again?
wellu Wrote:So I went and tried to modify the root partition size explained in

http://minimodding.com/blog9-Custom-Root-Partition-Size

Downloaded 1.18P install.img and untarred it

changed the values in configuration.xml to 0x8000000

and used the image on flash the box that is now a brick.

Value seems to be too high and there is no room in the flash for it.

Even if I reset or reboot I only get a message

"Preparing for update. It takes a few seconds."

and nothing happens.

So if you rascals try this method I would suggest a more conservative value...

Is there anyway to get the o!play booted or is there any way to flash the o!play again?

Thank god the reset worked and when I put a fresh install.img on a stick it installed that back to the unit.

Now I'm trying to find a value that would make the root partition larger, but it is not working Sad

<image type="yaffs2">
<fileName>package2/yaffs2_1.img</fileName>
<mountPoint>/</mountPoint>
<sizeBytesMin>0x5DA5380</sizeBytesMin>
</image>

This should amount to 98194304 bytes but my root is still 94 megs. What gives?

/dev/root 94208 94208 0 100% /
/dev/mtdblock/2 61440 1356 60084 2% /usr/local/etc
/dev/rd/0 40 40 0 100% /mnt/rd
/dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 974940 221796 753144 23% /tmp/usbmounts/sda1
I can confirm that atleast on the O!play air and with 1.18P firmware you can modify the values in the 1.18P install image and the file configuration.xml

<image type="yaffs2">
<fileName>package2/yaffs2_1.img</fileName>
<mountPoint>/</mountPoint>
<sizeBytesMin>0x61bd040</sizeBytesMin>
</image>

resulted in free space on root partition to make directories for optware

/dev/root 97152 95480 1672 98% /
/dev/mtdblock/2 61440 1360 60080 2% /usr/local/etc
/dev/rd/0 40 40 0 100% /mnt/rd
/dev/scsi/host3/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 974940 221796 753144 23% /tmp/usbmounts/sda1
wellu Wrote:Thank god the reset worked and when I put a fresh install.img on a stick it installed that back to the unit.

First, great work. Thanks for sharing your info.

Question about reset. When you said "the reset worked", what exactly did you do. I want to try this, but in case things goes back, I want a way to unbrick the unit.
I have broken the install.img twice now. First with the too large <sizeBytesMin> and second time it seems some files were missing from my install.img.

I just put the original install.img on a USB stick and plug that in. Then I press the reset button and keep it down for 5 secs. Then I unplug the power cord.

When you plug power back you should get a text "preparing for update, it takes a few seconds".

This stayed on for 1-2 minutes and then I saw that the USB stick was being read. o!play searches the stick for install.img and installs that.

Currently I'm trying to find the max value for the root partition. Maybe I need to make the /usr/local/etc partition smaller.

After I get enough space on rot I will install ssh and few other programs to the root, so I'm safe to shut down the telnetd.

After that I need to find some udev magic to mount the USB devies in the same spot every time.
swordfish77 Wrote:It's possible to not work the "mount / -o remount,rw" command in 1.21 fw? because it seems to do nothing.. I know it's working for U but please help us to make same wonderfull things. Peace and respect!Nod

check my site http://asusoplay.kipase.com

Tutorials how to modify the firmware, install optware etc etc.

I'm currently working on new youtube support since the previous broke down (thanks youtube).

I can even make new tutorials on request.

-wellu
I recently put the 'HDP_R3_FW_118NTSC' firmware update on my media player; I don't get dts or dolby digital coming through my home theatre since I updated it. It comes in as linear pcm now. I'm using spdif raw in the audio settings. Anyone else have this issue? I found on another site I'm not the only one after this update. From what I read; 1.16 is the most stable right now.
Great thread, still curious if anyone has tried or if it is possible to put XBMC.

Looking through this thread, I see that a lot of people are trying to get certain items, well if your O!Play has bootcode >= 18 I would take a look at this site / thread: http://www.moservices.org/forum/viewtopi...f=12&t=121 guy named FarVoice set it up and has patched / modified the HD2 firmware (I just installed it on a HDP-R1 works fine) to include by default:

Opera
Torrent
YouTube
Samba
FTP
Web Remote Control
--And More (see site for details)--

I just installed it and so far so good, its still in Beta and that has a bunch of source files and links for the HD2 firmware version. I would say that would be a great start for anyone looking to hack it up a bit.

I just did not see a link to that site and yea, better to let people know about it Smile
Hello,

I'm trying to change the "/" to let write on it, and follow the optware installation instructions:

mount / -o remount,rw

It doesn't give my any error, but when I try to create a dir:
/ # mkdir opt

I get this:
mkdir: Cannot create directory `opt': Operation not permitted

Any idea?

Thank you!
Hi guys,

at first, my respekt to all in here. you do a good job to support.

I read this thread up and down, wondering what i´m able to do with my o play. But, as long there is no chance to get XBMC running on it, i wonder, if i can get access to online HDD´s like windows live ore livedrive like XBMC does. got my stuff in the clouds on livedrive, streaming it with XBMC on different divices in the house.

is it possible, that the O Play can get acces to my livedrive, via ftp, and do the same as XBMC?

please excuse my bad english, not native english speaker.
Below method to get some space is not working I've Asus O!Play HD2 version 2.05

(2009-10-11, 15:36)Koenradus Wrote:
CrashX Wrote:Looks like you are getting 45 MBytes/s on your network ( I presume you are testing from a network drive )

How easy was it to get into linux shell ?
Have you tried installing optware packages ?

Again, thanks for the tests ..

Okay, optware up and running:
Telnet in, first remount /:
Code:
mount / -o remount,rw

Then install bootstrap. ipkg-cl is extrated by someone on another forum from the xtreamer firmware
Code:
mkdir /opt
mkdir /opt/tmp
mkdir /opt/tmp/ipkg

cd /opt/tmp

wget http://www.kovari.priv.hu/download/ipkg-cl.tgz
tar -xvf ipkg-cl.tgz
mv /opt/tmp/ipkg-cl /usr/local/bin/
rm ipkg-cl.tgz

wget http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/uclibc-opt_0.9.28-13_mipsel.ipk
ipkg-cl install uclibc-opt_0.9.28-13_mipsel.ipk

wget http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_mipsel.ipk
ipkg-cl install ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_mipsel.ipk

rm *.ipk

/opt/bin/ipkg update

Ok that's it. Now, any package can be installed like: "/opt/bin/ipkg install mc"
Furthermore to make some room for the packages, and since i'm not chinese Laugh, remove those big (total +/- 30MB) fonts:

Code:
cd /usr/local/bin/Resource/
cp arial.ttf CHI.ttf
cp arial.ttf JPN.ttf
cp arial.ttf cwheib.ttf
cp arial.ttf cwyen.ttf

Before 92.5/203.6 MB free (55% used), after 126.6/203.6 free (38% used), thats better!
That's it for now. So to answer CrashX's question: Optware is working...

so how is this development looking?

i got a deal on a ASUS O!Play Air HDP-R3 ..

What are the chances i can run XBMC on it ?
(2013-04-29, 17:43)Krankdroid Wrote: so how is this development looking?

i got a deal on a ASUS O!Play Air HDP-R3 ..

What are the chances i can run XBMC on it ?

Absolutely zero.

Hardware was never capable of running XBMC in the first place. Realteks 1073 chip didn't even have a GPU which is something XBMC requires.

If you want a low cost XBMC set top box go take a look at the Pivos XIOS DS which is exactly that.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC for Linux to run on the ASUS O!Play (O'Play / OPlay) media player hardware?2