DLNA Media Renderer Issues (TwonkyBeam/Win 7 Play to device)
I am having issues with DLNA Media Rendering. I am looking to setup TwonkyBeam which allows media to be sent from my browser on another computer to XBMC (functioning as a Media Renderer) which is connected to my television. This is similar to the Windows 7 Play to device feature, which according to another thread is working with XBMC. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=56726

The software shows the XBMC: Media Renderer as a device it should be able to output to, but the play buttons are gray. Image

Could this perhaps be an issue with "Push" compatibility with XBMC?

Could anyone confirm if they have TwonkyBeam or the Windows 7 "Play to device" feature working?

Here is a great link (that includes a video) that tells all of the feature of TwonkyBeam.

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2009/09/27/t...b-browser/

Thanks in advance.
Windows 7 "Play to device" works for quite a few files. Not all thou..

Never seen TwonkyBeam, but seems like a nice feature. If it's free I may have a look at it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:Windows 7 "Play to device" works for quite a few files. Not all thou..

Never seen TwonkyBeam, but seems like a nice feature. If it's free I may have a look at it.

You were just the guy I was hoping would post in this thread. TwonkyBeam is free and is available for download here. http://www.twonkymedia.com/beam/

Could you tell me a bit more about how the "Play to device" feature works since you are familiar with it? Does XBMC require any configuration of the video source? Or when you hit the play to device does XBMC drop everything and begin playing?
If XBMC is a true DLNA DMR, it should work with TwonkyBeam. We'll look into this issue and see if anything can be done about it.

- Rick
fixed in svn.. TwonkyBeam didn't accept our wildcard mimetype for the renderer. So now we list atleast some of the mimetimes we can accept.. I bet i've missed a shitload.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Rick: You a twonky man?

A more explicit reason for this was that we listed supported protocol info as. "http-get:*:*:*" ie fully wildcarded. Yes lazy, but reasonably true for audio/video atleast.

TMM_Product_Man Wrote:If XBMC is a true DLNA DMR, it should work with TwonkyBeam. We'll look into this issue and see if anything can be done about it.

- Rick

I'm very happy to know that a representative of TwonkyMedia is on the forums and interested in XBMC. I am truly excited about the prospects of the TwonkyBeam software.

I have done some more tests to try to narrow down the problem and am leaning towards it being a problem on XBMC's side.

I installed Twonky's other product TwonkyMedia Manager. This program creates a software DLNA compliant media renderer very similar to what XBMC is doing. TwonkyBeam then sees the TMMPlayer renderer as well as XBMC: Media Renderer as output devices.

However, the TMMPlayer renderer works perfectly as an output device while the XBMC renderer again shows gray buttons. The same thing also happens in the TwonkyMedia manager server software. It sees the XBMC: Media Renderer as an output device but the Play button is disabled.

I currently am in the process of filtering through the debug logs and can see the upnp negotiation happening. However, at a quick glance did not see any ERROR lines that stuck out to me.

Again, if someone this using the "Play to device" in Win 7 could elaborate on the process of getting it working (ie does something have to be enabled in XBMC besides Upnp renderer) it would be appreciated.

I will continue to read the logs. I can't wait to get this working. Thanks everyone for their effort.
elupus Wrote:fixed in svn.. TwonkyBeam didn't accept our wildcard mimetype for the renderer. So now we list atleast some of the mimetimes we can accept.. I bet i've missed a shitload.

Wow. As I was typing my post elupus fixes the issue. Amazing! Thank you.
elupus Wrote:fixed in svn.. TwonkyBeam didn't accept our wildcard mimetype for the renderer. So now we list atleast some of the mimetimes we can accept.. I bet i've missed a shitload.

Again elupus, I want to thank you for working on the issue so quickly. The TwonkyBeam software seems to be working well so far with XBMC and I will continue testing.

Rick, the SVN nightly build (with aforementioned fixes) is available here http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/ If you were looking to do some testing with XBMC.

Unfortunately, The TwonkyMedia Manager software http://www.twonkymedia.com/manager_download.html is still unable to output to XBMC. Nulled play buttons as TwonkyBeam had before the fix. I would have thought this fixed both but perhaps they do different "hand shaking" / transmission of protocol/MIME type information.

I can provide you with a log if needed: one with a working connection with TwonkyBeam followed by one with a failed connection to Twonky Media Manager.

Feel free to hit me up the IRC.
First, off I'm thrilled that TwonkyBeam now works with XBMC. You guys are truly amazing!

I just created a trouble ticket for the issue with TwonkyMedia manager. This hopefully should be too hard for us to fix. To check status on this issue, ask me about MM-3102.

This fix is scheduled to be part of our TMM v1.3 beta which should be available for testing in a few weeks.

If you have future feedback please send it directly to [email protected], since I'm unable to check this forum every day. Thanks again for all of your help.

- Rick

P.S. Please DO send a log if possible to [email protected].
One more thing. I'd like to add a custom icon to Beam for XBMC. Should I use an Xbox icon, the icon for this site or something else?

- Rick
TMM_Product_Man Wrote:One more thing. I'd like to add a custom icon to Beam for XBMC. Should I use an Xbox icon, the icon for this site or something else?

- Rick

I personally wouldn't use the Xbox icon, as this narrows what XBMC is.

If I were designing the logo, I would use the current LCD TV icon you are using and photoshop the XBMC logo on its screen. However, the shadowed XBMC logo on its own would be good too Wink

The icon karatekickz put there should be good. The xbox icon is wrong as we are hardly even supporting xbox anymore.

I am so close but the last hurdle is escaping me. I have gotten twonkybeam to recognize the xbmc. I have even gotten as far as having xbmc wake up out of sleep mode when I click "play" on the twonkybeam toolbar. But I don't know how to get the stream to show up on the xbmc screen. What am I missing? Is there a setting on the xbmc I need to activate or something?
doesn't sound like you are missing anything. maybe you are trying to play something that isn't supported? post a debug log and we'll see if we can help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DLNA Media Renderer Issues (TwonkyBeam/Win 7 Play to device)0