Is there a media manager that lives up to this specs?
I tried a lot of the available media managers but now I'm reorganizing my tvshow and movie collection and I would have the following wishlist:

TV-Shows:

Parsing Filenames and scraping informations.

renaming and organizing in folders according to the scraped information

writing the nfo-files for every episode, downloading and naming of season/show-banners

is there a media manager out therek that could do that (or a combination - like building a workflow)
haifischjunge Wrote:I tried a lot of the available media managers but now I'm reorganizing my tvshow and movie collection and I would have the following wishlist:

TV-Shows:

Parsing Filenames and scraping informations.

renaming and organizing in folders according to the scraped information

writing the nfo-files for every episode, downloading and naming of season/show-banners

is there a media manager out therek that could do that (or a combination - like building a workflow)

Just my .02 cents... but that seems to be an AWFUL LOT of responsibility you're putting in the faith of regex and scrapers.

Yes. I can certainly see gathering and cataloging the TV series main data and even getting the nitty-gritty details on each and every episode. Collecting fan art and assorted other artworks.. Yea sure, no problem.

However, if I have a collection of 25 or so different shows each averaging 6 seasons with apx 24 episodes per season. Nine hundred and seventy, carry the 9.... Yea we're talking upwards of three THOUSAND six hundred!! unique VOB files lovingly (and carefully) ripped from countless stacks of DVDs.

Are you SURE you want to entrust the batch/automated renaming of you're life's work to a program where one teeny tiny * when there should have been a ^ could mean you finding all of you're movies plopped into a single folder called 'OOPS' and named Sorry.s99e0001.vob to Sorry.s99e3600.vob.

I dunno... I guess I shiver at the though of something going wrong and would much rather take the time to fix my own folder/naming issues then to trust the entire collection to an automated process.

Shiver... now I gotta look in on my raid and make sure the children okay.

Okay, *perhaps* if it was in a VERY controlled setting and before anything destructive was going to take place I was shown in a 'work order list' exactly WHAT was going to be renamed and WHERE it was going to be filed... Maybe I could learn to accept such a feature but it would have to be very explicit as to what was going to transpire and it wasn't something available from the main-window... I'd have to dive into a menu or something to access the feature.

Finally since I myself am a programmer (code hacker more to the point) I can't IMAGINE a developer implementing such a feature and giving out their software free to any/all who chose to download it. Even if his program was PERFECT there's STILL going to be people crying bloody murder that his application trashed their entire media collection. I'm sure this kinda stuff happens NOW even when programs don't do anything but read directory information and don't actually touch the media files. Far too much grief with little benefit - I'd imagine most developers wouldn't even contemplate such a feature.

Dave
I agree it's a huge undertaking to be able to handle the complex tasks associated with organizing entire collections and automation associated with those tasks.

This is one of the things that we are looking into with UMM, the unified media manager. Team umX is made up of alot of the dev's that have already created the media managers you use today, and we are serious about making UMM the media manager of tommorrow.

Yes we have plans to do just what your asking.

Is it done? no.
Do we have it in beta? no.
When will it be done? when it's done.

The best thing to do is get involved, make suggestions, try the alpha's (on test media) when they come out. Feedback, feedback, feedback, yup it's that important.

Most of it's done in c#, using mono, with multiple GUI's written in multiple languages (asp.net, mono forms, windows forms, objective j, php (pretty much anything that can handle either mono, asp, or SOAP)). Server/Client, client only, web client.. all are in progress already.

And thanks to scraperXML we can use all the scrapers that xbmc can, as well as anything that we used in our own applications to get data. (plugins, addon's)

So i guess the answer is no, nothing can do it all yet, but with some help, and some time, it's something that's in the works.

- fekker
Ill have a look at umm, maybe I can contribute something back - since Im familiar with c#
Well I have been using tvrename http://www.tvrename.com and I am very happy.

It organise all my file (couple terabytes) quite nicely.
It renames all my file nicely with titles season and episode number
It even tell me when there is a new episode out.

It does not scrap information, but after organising my folder correctly it is much easier to scarp information with other software
michaelcdf Wrote:Well I have been using tvrename http://www.tvrename.com and I am very happy.

It organise all my file (couple terabytes) quite nicely.
It renames all my file nicely with titles season and episode number
It even tell me when there is a new episode out.

It does not scrap information, but after organising my folder correctly it is much easier to scarp information with other software
Same here. It also makes all my TV show naming uniform. (I had no trouble with the SxxEyy format but I never would had bothered adding episode names, myself

The one thing it doesn't haddle is episode stacking (example - 1st episode of Heros this season was a two parter but aired as one. Media info Plus catches it if I name it S04E01E02
Does it also add some fanart??
yes it does
JackieBrown Wrote:The one thing it doesn't haddle is episode stacking (example - 1st episode of Heros this season was a two parter but aired as one. Media info Plus catches it if I name it S04E01E02

It does handle stacking, in a rather elegant way if I must say so. Browse to your show in TVrename, and expand. Right click on the season (in this case season 4 of heroes) and choose "Edit". Add a MERGE RULE for episodes 1-2, and then it'll pick up your episode and rename as, for example: Heroes - S04E01E02 - Title1 + Title2.mkv.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there a media manager that lives up to this specs?0