Textures.xbt ?
PM3.HD now ships with both Textures.xpr and Textures.xbt

i have no idea what the difference is between the two, so i'm wondering if there's any info available somewhere?
should other skins also add a Textures.xbt file, and if so, could someone provide a precompiled XBMCTexXBT.exe?
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
This will be the new format, once all the kinks are worked out. For now, the quality is suboptimal.

We'll make a detailed announcement when we would like all skinners to switch.

TheUni
cheers, that's all i needed to know. :-)
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
theuni Wrote:This will be the new format, once all the kinks are worked out. For now, the quality is suboptimal.

We'll make a detailed announcement when we would like all skinners to switch.

TheUni

any benefits of that new format you can already talk about? at least the goal?
cheers,azido :;):
compressed textures - less memory usage, less cpu during rendering
spiff Wrote:compressed textures - less memory usage, less cpu during rendering

more compression than there is already applied/usable in xpr?

without quality damages?

sounds good.
search for libsquish, this is what's used to compress the new textures file.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
To clear some things up:

1. It's essentially exactly the same as what we used to use on xbox (i.e. DXTc compression).

2. There may be some slight improvement for opaque textures (via DXT5-YCoCg) perhaps.

3. Texture quality will NOT improve over what there is currently, and filesize is unlikely to drop all that much. In some cases (lots of animated gifs with repeat frames) it may infact increase.

4. The code is much cleaner, thus the interest in switching.

5. When it's ready, I'll let you guys know. It'll probably involve a skin version bump, as I don't want to have the old stuff in SVN any longer. There'll be a period of backward compatibility with the XPR stuff.

6. The hope is that DXT1 or DXT5-YCoCg will be usable for fanart and thumbs rather than saving to jpg. I converted a bunch last night to DXT1 (1:8 compression) and couldn't spot the difference unless I looked really hard on the vast majority of them. Once I have something ready to test in this regard I'll first consult you guys to do some quality tests.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:6. The hope is that DXT1 or DXT5-YCoCg will be usable for fanart and thumbs rather than saving to jpg.

i see and follow your interest here. will there be also a change in media-assigned images like movie thumbs, season thumbs, related fanart handling or is that change only for everything that goes with the skin?

hopefully this will not prevent users to

a) drop in the one or other replacement for skin default images (like i.e. default thumbs for audio/video/files by putting them in skin/media

b) add images for additional usage (genre backdrops and thumbs come in my mind here as an example, but also studio and source flags)

c) make use of supplemental tools for fanart and thumbs without the need to deal with that compression method.

also please don't cut our (the skinners) playground to "hack" in additional images Wink
azido Wrote:i see and follow your interest here. will there be also a change in media-assigned images like movie thumbs, season thumbs, related fanart handling or is that change only for everything that goes with the skin?

hopefully this will not prevent users to

a) drop in the one or other replacement for skin default images (like i.e. default thumbs for audio/video/files by putting them in skin/media

b) add images for additional usage (genre backdrops and thumbs come in my mind here as an example, but also studio and source flags)

c) make use of supplemental tools for fanart and thumbs without the need to deal with that compression method.

also please don't cut our (the skinners) playground to "hack" in additional images Wink
I think your misunderstanding from the user point of view it will be no different at all what jmarshall means is that instead of caching the images in png format like we do currently it will store them in DXT1 or DXT5-YCoCg instead so hopefully they load faster and better.
The users will still use the same old original png and jpg images they do currently its all internal
Jezz_X Wrote:I think your misunderstanding from the user point of view it will be no different at all what jmarshall means is that instead of caching the images in png format like we do currently it will store them in DXT1 or DXT5-YCoCg instead so hopefully they load faster and better.
The users will still use the same old original png and jpg images they do currently its all internal

thanks for correcting my thoughts..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Textures.xbt ?0