Local folder.jpg not used for artist thumbs in library mode
I recently switched from MCE to XBMC and must say, it works like a charm. Except for one thing (off course :-) ): I cannot get thumbs to show when browsing the artist-list in library mode, even though I have local thumb images in each artist directory. I have tried finding an answer to this question, but even though I have seen this question posed before, I could not find an solution that worked for me.

To give some more details:

I have a music collection structured as My Music\<artist>\<album>\<no> - <title>
- All mp3s have embedded album art
- All mp3 tags for both artist and albumartist have been set correctly and reflect the folder structure
- All artist and album directories have a folder.jpg containing a thumb. The artist folder.jpg is equal to the first album folder.jpg sizes differ from 400x400 to 900x900

However, in library mode the artist view shows only 4 thumbs out of 80 artists or so. Apparently the the local folder images are ignored and the default scraper (discogs) does not work either. I can manually set the thumbs using the local folder.jpg images, but that is a lot of work, and I'm sure I want to rebuild my library somewhere in the future. So I would rather automate this

So, is there a way to force XBMC to use my local images for artist thumbs? Should I adapt/use a scripts?

Oh, and I'm running XBMC 9.0.4.1 R20672 for windows on Windows XP
Post your _exact_ filesystem for one particular artist. i.e. every single track you have that refers to that artist.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I will do so once I get home this evening. Would it be useful to also include a dump of the mp3 tags?

Thanks!
Thijs
I thought that this was normal Shocked, while in File view I can see a picture in all the folders that have a "folder.jpg" for the artist.

I got most of my art scrapped but the rest I had to manually add it just like you. When I put a folder.jpg for album and click on "Album Info" (library mode) I do see the miniature but it won't appear in the general listing until I specifically browse en "Get thumb" and choose the specific image.

So for me after adding the "folder.jpg" to an album it stills shows the "Generic Unknown" icon in any listing (Library Mode), the folder.jpg image in any Listing (File Mode) and the folder.jpg image in Library Mode when I click on "Album information".

Pretty convoluted. All it's reconciled though when I manually browse for a thumb and choose folder.jpg so perhaps it's a question of deleting the album/artist from the library and rescan.

* My setup is like yours: Music\Artist\Album\TrackNo - TrackName
* Running XBMC r23120 on Windows Vista SP1
jmarschall:

Here is the dump of the directory structure of one particular artist directory (containing only a single album)

Code:
D:\My Documents\My Music\Amy MacDonald\
   ======================================
   Folder.jpg                             158 KB    19-9-2009 07:23:10 PM      a
   Thumbs.db                                5 KB    24-3-2009 11:32:46 PM    hsa

Total 2 file(s);  Size: 168154 Byte(s)

D:\My Documents\My Music\Amy MacDonald\This Is The Life
   ======================================================
   01 - Mr Rock & Roll.mp3               5117 KB    19-9-2009 07:39:58 PM      a
   02 - This Is The Life.mp3             4426 KB    19-9-2009 07:39:58 PM      a
   03 - Poison Prince.mp3                4957 KB    19-9-2009 07:39:58 PM      a
   04 - Youth Of Today.mp3               5696 KB    19-9-2009 07:39:58 PM      a
   05 - Run.mp3                          5479 KB    19-9-2009 07:39:58 PM      a
   06 - Let's Start A Band.mp3           5810 KB    19-9-2009 07:39:58 PM      a
   07 - Barrowland Ballroom.mp3          5659 KB    19-9-2009 07:39:58 PM      a
   08 - L_A_.mp3                         5848 KB    19-9-2009 07:39:58 PM      a
   09 - A Wish For Something More.mp3    5369 KB    19-9-2009 07:39:58 PM      a
   10 - Footballer's Wife.mp3            7253 KB    19-9-2009 07:39:58 PM      a
   11 - The Road To Home.mp3             7771 KB    19-9-2009 07:39:58 PM      a
   Folder.jpg                             158 KB    19-9-2009 07:19:24 PM      a

Total 12 file(s);  Size: 65073355 Byte(s)

Total 1 folder(s); 14 file(s)  Total files size: 64 MB; 63712 KB; 65241509 Bytes

And here is the dump of all mp3 tags i think may be relevant for the scraper:

Code:
mp3tag export:

<artist>  -  <album>  -  <title>  -  <track>  -  <year>  -  <genre>  -  <band>

Amy MacDonald  -  This Is The Life  -  Mr Rock & Roll  -  1  -  2007  -  Rock  -  Amy MacDonald
Amy MacDonald  -  This Is The Life  -  This Is The Life  -  2  -  2007  -  Rock  -  Amy MacDonald
Amy MacDonald  -  This Is The Life  -  Poison Prince  -  3  -  2007  -  Rock  -  Amy MacDonald
Amy MacDonald  -  This Is The Life  -  Youth Of Today  -  4  -  2007  -  Rock  -  Amy MacDonald
Amy MacDonald  -  This Is The Life  -  Run  -  5  -  2007  -  Rock  -  Amy MacDonald
Amy MacDonald  -  This Is The Life  -  Let`s Start A Band  -  6  -  2007  -  Rock  -  Amy MacDonald
Amy MacDonald  -  This Is The Life  -  Barrowland Ballroom  -  7  -  2007  -  Rock  -  Amy MacDonald
Amy MacDonald  -  This Is The Life  -  L.A.  -  8  -  2007  -  Rock  -  Amy MacDonald
Amy MacDonald  -  This Is The Life  -  A Wish For Something More  -  9  -  2007  -  Rock  -  Amy MacDonald
Amy MacDonald  -  This Is The Life  -  Footballer`s Wife  -  10  -  2007  -  Rock  -  Amy MacDonald
Amy MacDonald  -  This Is The Life  -  The Road To Home  -  11  -  2007  -  Rock  -  Amy MacDonald

If you need anymore information, please let me know (for example, is there some scraper-logging I could look at?). Thanks!

adsoto:
Glad to hear the problem is reproducable. Indeed, in file view my artist images are also seen, but somehow they don't end up in the library when the library is build up. I think (or hope), this is due to something I missed or an bug, rather than intended behavior.
From the code it looks like it's only read in the case of looking up artist info from the web. Fanart on the other hand is picked up locally regardless of the online artist info setting.

Post a ticket on trac as IMO it should pick up local stuff regardless. Feel free to CC me.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

While browsing the trac database, I found a ticket #6209 that seems to describe exactly this problem However, that defect has been adressed in r19597 and closed. May be it is a regression bug. Since I do not have the rights needed to reopen the ticket, I created a new one: #7258. I added you as CC

Cheers, Thijs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Local folder.jpg not used for artist thumbs in library mode0