XBMC and Squid
For various reasons I had to rescan my video-library and this can take a lot of time
In my network I have a headless P3 Linux machine doing all kind of server tasks (SMTP Anti-spam proxy, Webserver, MySQL, vmware) and in the past I installed squid on it to just see how it runs.
I now have my 3 XBMC-clients configured to use that squid as its proxy so I don't need to download all that fanart and thumbnails from the Internet again and again.

Having both my xboxes scraping the newest content on my 2 NAS's I noticed almost everything is a cache miss. Is there anyone on this board who knows the tweaks I should make to reach my goal? I don't mind if I have to install another package.....

BTW. I'm only using this squid for XBMC so I don't mind if the cache contains old data.
I've been reading this and am a bit wiser now...
http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/153221

After looking at logs and experimenting I found the "key parameter"... It was "ignore_reload" which tells the proxy to ignore the client's request for fresh data. I don't know if the scraper should be less picky, but it can be taken into account by the devs...

Part of my squid.conf looks like this. Do study yourself on the subject as this is entirely new for me too. Please comment if you think it can be done smarter....

Code:
refresh_pattern ^ftp:           1440    20%     10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher:        1440    0%      1440
#refresh_pattern (cgi-bin|\?)   0       0%      0
#refresh_pattern .              0       20%     4320
refresh_pattern -i \.index\.(html|htm)$ 0 40% 10080
refresh_pattern (/cgi-bin/|\?) 0 0% 0
refresh_pattern -i imdb\.com             10080 90% 43200 ignore-reload override-expire ignore-no-cache ignore-no-store ignore-private
refresh_pattern -i thetvdb\.com             10080 90% 43200 ignore-reload override-expire ignore-no-cache ignore-no-store ignore-private
refresh_pattern -i themoviedb\.org       10080 90% 43200 ignore-reload override-expire ignore-no-cache ignore-no-store ignore-private
refresh_pattern -i impawards\.com        10080 90% 43200 ignore-reload override-expire ignore-no-cache ignore-no-store ignore-private
refresh_pattern -i movieposterdb\.com    10080 90% 43200 ignore-reload override-expire ignore-no-cache ignore-no-store ignore-private
refresh_pattern -i uitzendinggemist\.nl  10080 90% 43200 ignore-reload override-expire ignore-no-cache ignore-no-store ignore-private
refresh_pattern -i \.(html|htm|css|js)$ 1440 40% 40320  ignore-no-cache ignore-no-store ignore-private
refresh_pattern -i \.(gif|png|jpg|jpeg|ico)$ 10080 90% 43200 ignore-no-store ignore-private
refresh_pattern -i \.(iso|avi|wav|mp3|mp4|mpeg|swf|flv|x-flv)$ 43200 90% 432000 override-expire ignore-no-cache ignore-no-store ignore-private
refresh_pattern -i \.(deb|rpm|exe|zip|tar|tgz|ram|rar|bin|ppt|doc|tiff)$ 10080 90% 43200 override-expire ignore-no-cache ignore-no-store ignore-private
refresh_pattern . 0 40% 40320 override-expire ignore-no-cache ignore-no-store ignore-private
Isn't there anybody who tried to put XBMC behind a proxy to speedup library search? I'm glad with any info...
I still don't know if it's a good idea in the long term and am getting mixed results.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and Squid0