Strange video speed until pause pressed for the first time
Hi,

I have a weird problem with some scene captured HD content where the speed of the video is wrong (always seems to be 1.5 to 2x fast) until I press pause and then play again and it goes back to normal. Eek If I stop the video and play it again it does the same thing until its paused again.

I have captured a debug log where this is happening and at the end you can see where I pressed pause/play (I added some extra line breaks to make it obvious).

Debug Log

OS X 10.6 (Happened on 10.5 as well though)
DVI -> HDMI out, 1080p60
SPDIF -> Denon AMP capable of ac3/dts etc
XBMC -> svn r23185
Sync Playback to Display -> enabled/disabled (however all sub-options seem to have the same effect)

Anyone got any ideas? Do you need any more information to debug the issue?

Thanks!
Code:
*** MediaInfo Mac // Plain text file report
2009-10-02 23:50:07 +0100
Information for File: S03E06.mkv

General / Container Stream # 1
    Total Video Streams for this File -> 1
    Total Audio Streams for this File -> 1
    Video Codecs Used -> AVC
    Audio Codecs Used -> AC3
    File Format -> Matroska
    Play Time -> 47mn 32s
    Total File Size -> 1.09 GiB
    Total Stream BitRate -> 3 291 Kbps
    Encoded with -> mkvmerge v2.9.8 ('C'est le bon') built on Aug 13 2009 12:49:06
    Encoding Library -> libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
Video Stream # 1
    Codec (Human Name) -> AVC
    Codec (FourCC) -> V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Codec Profile -> [email protected]
    Frame Width -> 1 280 pixels
    Frame Height -> 720 pixels
    Frame Rate -> 23.976 fps
    Total Frames -> 68397
    Display Aspect Ratio -> 16/9
    Scan Type -> Progressive
    Colorimetry -> 4:2:0
    Codec Settings (Summary) -> CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
    QF (like Gordian Knot) -> 0.129
    Codec Settings (CABAC) -> Yes
    Video Stream Length -> 47mn 29s 875ms
    Video Stream BitRate -> 2 841 Kbps
    Video Stream BitRate (Nominal) -> 2 905 Kbps
    Bit Depth -> 24 bits
    Video Stream Size -> 965 MiB (86%)
    Video Encoder -> x264 - core 61 r938M 9881ffd
    Video Encoder (Settings) -> cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=6 / psy_rd=1.0:1.0 / brdo=0 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=12 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=0 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=2905 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=2:1.00
    Video Stream Language -> English
Audio Stream # 1
    Codec -> AC-3
    Codec (FourCC) -> A_AC3
    Audio Stream Length -> 47mn 32s 725ms
    Audio Stream BitRate -> 384 Kbps
    Audio Stream BitRate Mode -> CBR
    Number of Audio Channels -> 2
    Audio Channel's Positions -> L R
    Sampling Rate -> 48.0 KHz
    Audio Stream Size -> 131 MiB (12%)
    Audio Stream Language -> English
Having the same exact issue.
Anyone else see this issue? Any dev's have any ideas what's causing it? I don't see the issue under VLC so I don't think its the source material.
Still present for me in r23524.

Noone with any idea's about what could be causing it and why pause/play would fix it? I imagine it must not be a widespread issue...

Thanks
I'd need to get a sample of 100MB or so. I don't see this.
OK sample file available here (I have also PM'd you a dropbox location of the same file):

http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/87411077/file.html

Some further observations while testing the sample:

1) Playing the file the first time does not normally show the problem.
2) Subsequent plays mostly (but not always) have the problem.
3) Restarting XBMC cures for the next first play.
I can confirm that this definitely not due to the source file. I see this issue in every single one of my x264 files. most of them in an .mkv container. Would be great if we could find a way to resolve this, even though I'm kinda used to always press pause and play again when I start watching a new video it is starting to get annoying.

Let me know if I can do anything to help.
Weavus Wrote:OK sample file available here (I have also PM'd you a dropbox location of the same file):

http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/87411077/file.html

Some further observations while testing the sample:

1) Playing the file the first time does not normally show the problem.
2) Subsequent plays mostly (but not always) have the problem.
3) Restarting XBMC cures for the next first play.

MM, nice 720p too. Smile

Well, plays just dandy here as a local file (2.4GHz MacBook) at svn 23507. Played and replayed many times.
Is there sound when the file plays too fast?
same thing under r23539. plays fine.
Actually this happened to me the other day. I think it was an episode of Freaks and Geeks - half way through there was an audible glitch, and then everything started sped up. There was audio, just it ran almost 2 times the speed. Plain AVI though, not MKV.

Pause + Play fixed it. I didn't have time to check the log (these things only ever happen while the wife and I are watching something, damnit!).

The log probably still exists - I'll fish it out and see if there's anything interesting + build details etc. The build is a couple of months old I should think.

Cheers
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

bobo1on1 Wrote:Is there sound when the file plays too fast?
Yes, sound plays but is sped up like the video. It's really strange. The most confusing thing is why a pause/play combo can fix it and also why it does not do the speed up 100% of the time (especially the first play).
jmarshall Wrote:Actually this happened to me the other day. I think it was an episode of Freaks and Geeks - half way through there was an audible glitch, and then everything started sped up. There was audio, just it ran almost 2 times the speed. Plain AVI though, not MKV.
I've never seen it happen to me once a file is playing at the correct speed. I've also never seen it happen on SD content. I always thought it was something to do with 5.1 channel sound...

davilla Wrote:same thing under r23539. plays fine.
Are you using digital out or analog?
lol, it happens to me a few times too, but is not a very easy error to reproduce.

to me it happens sometimes if am watching an episode at normal speed and it ends and I quickly start browsing the video library like quickly pressing the directional to the right and select another it start to play at like 1.5x , pause and play again fix it.

I always though it was something related to keep pressing too quickly the right directional button while browsing (the same one you press to fastforward) and quickly select/play another video.

to me it happens with sd video too.
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strange video speed until pause pressed for the first time0