• 3(current)
High CPU Usage on SVN Build
puck3d Wrote:How many of you that are affected by this are using the Nvidia PPA in your sources list?

i was looking into what was upgraded when I last updated XBMC and a few stuck out at me, they were upgrading to newer versions than the official Ubuntu release. Turns out the Nvidia PPA was upgrading xorg binaries to work with newer nvidia drivers.

Once I downgraded the packages below, XBMC started working again at it's normal speed.

I have an intel card and the packages below are what was upgraded and what I downgraded back to official packages.

libdrm2
xserver-xorg-video-all
xserver-xorg-video-intel
libdrm-intel1

Can you post what versions work correctly? As mentioned above I am on an ATI system but might have the NVidia PPA in my sources.list (not sure right now and not at home).

Also, what release are you on? I am running karmic/9.10....
I'm also with this issue with xbmc 9.04 (stock) and with svn versions

Using arch linux i686.

100% cpu usage and extreme slow experience. Changing to the old low def skin solves the problem.

Using an ATI 9250se gpu with ati open source drivers. pentium 4 3.0ghz HT
ERamseth Wrote:Can you post what versions work correctly? As mentioned above I am on an ATI system but might have the NVidia PPA in my sources.list (not sure right now and not at home).

Also, what release are you on? I am running karmic/9.10....

This is all on Jaunty

When I first upgraded,
libdrm2 2.4.9-1ubuntu1~xup~1 was replaced with 2.4.14-1ubuntu1~xup~2
libdrm-intel1 2.4.9-1ubuntu1~xup~1 was replaced with 2.4.14-1ubuntu1~xup~2
xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.7.1-0ubuntu1~xup~1 was replaced with 2.9.0-1ubuntu2~xup~3

I can't find video-all version.

Now I have the following versions installed, and these are working:
libdrm2 - 2.4.5-0ubuntu4
xserver-xorg-video-all - 7.4~5ubuntu18
xserver-xorg-video-intel - 2.6.3-0ubuntu9.3
libdrm-intel1 - 2.4.5-0ubuntu4

I tried solving my problem originally by use the non-HD PM3 skin, but it didn't change anything.
drivesoslow Wrote:I'm pretty sure the bug has something to do with the legacy nvidia driver.

I have an older hyperthreaded P4 system that is experiencing this on any newer build. 9.04 works perfectly, but any recent SVN or 9.11alpha pegs the CPU at 100% and renders at about one frame per 30 seconds. The only way to get my system back is to switch to another terminal and kill -9 xbmc.bin.

Switching out the XBMC binary, from the SVN build to the 9.04 build solves/re-creates the problem very consistently.

I first noticed this with an ATI card, so I swapped it out for an NVIDIA card (also using Legacy driver, 5700Ultra with some freshly re-soldered capacitors) and had no change in behavior.

I'm running the alpha on a newer, dual core machine, and it plays smoothly, but pegs one core completely, and runs the other core at 0-15%.

Could be a threading issue? I'm trying to diff the revision numbers you posted earlier to see what changed, and if I can pinpoint the exact version that fails.

(off-topic): 24376 (latest trunk) doesn't even build for me! I will post back when I have more information...
I get this as well, 100% CPU usage running a Celeron 1,2Ghz and a Geforce 5500FX. Older version ran well.
Hey, I got a problem, xbmc is not working, can you fix it?

Oh, and I'm not going to provide any xbmc.log so a dev can see how xbmc is setup, they will just have to guess.

See how silly that sounds? We get this over and over in posts and there's just no way to even begin debugging any issue without a pastebin post of xbmc.log with debugging enabled.
I also have CPU consumption problem.

In my case (not already sure it's the same problem as you), the interesting point is that it's not XBMC that consume all the CPU, it's Xorg. Looking at the log, Xorg seems to be in an infinite loop, querying for the capabilities of the monitor (a full-HD LCD TV in my case).

When running Xorg alone or TWM, I do not have any problems. I'm using an up-to-date Fedora 12 (kernel = 2.6.31.5 ; xorg-server = 1.7.1 ; intel driver = 2.9.1). Graphic card is an Intel G45.

I attach the log of XBMC [1] with an empty .xbmc (just advancedsettings.xml to enable debug) and the log of Xorg [2]. The CPU consumption started after few seconds, at approx 20:50:08.

People with other graphics cards, can you confirm/invalidate that you have the same symptoms? If yes, I will add this to the ticket.

[1] http://pastebin.ca/1661393
[2] http://pastebin.ca/1661403 (cutted because Xorg create 1M of log per minutes)
Hmm, I also have this issue. Here is my xbmc.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/312796/

I have a GeForce FX 5200.
davilla Wrote:Hey, I got a problem, xbmc is not working, can you fix it?

Oh, and I'm not going to provide any xbmc.log so a dev can see how xbmc is setup, they will just have to guess.

See how silly that sounds? We get this over and over in posts and there's just no way to even begin debugging any issue without a pastebin post of xbmc.log with debugging enabled.

I'm sorry, forgot the pastebin, here it is:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/313214/

Cheers!
OK I have this problem too.

I have a P4 box with Xubuntu 8.10 and xbmc 8.10-final1 from the ppa.
It has an nvidia FX 5200 and the nvidia 173.14.12 driver. This box works like
a charm.

2 days ago I decided to install the new ubuntu 9.10 on the same box but on a different
HD doing a fresh install.
I installed the new xbmc build 9.11alpha1-karmic and my nvidia driver was updated to version 173.14.20.
XBMC now runs very slow even the main menu is almost unresponsive and top shows that
XBMC is taking 98% of the CPU.

The strange thing is that before doing the fresh install I tried the new ububtu and xbmc in a
VirtualBox guest and it worked just fine. I'll post the xbmc logs as soon as I get to the box.
I should state that my system is a P4 with hyper-threading too
I get this issue with a damn 2 week old NEW AMD Athalon 64 1800mhz 2 core! The damn thing is using less then 256megs memory!

What do I need to do do downgrade my build?
Also have this problem, P4 hyperthreading and fx5200
I could be wrong, but I don't think the problem has been introduced to XBMC recently.

Until this weekend (updated to a 5th November build from the XBMC PPAs), I'd been running a build done from SVN in July last year. It worked fine until I put the Nvidia card in after getting irritated with the onboard Intel chip - that was when it cranked up to use a whole CPU. Unfortunately I seemed to need other Nvidia drivers than those included in the Ubuntu PPAs (I'm running Hardy, upgraded from Gutsy) for the graphics card support so am now running on Nvidia driver 180.11. (DIrect install with the binary from Nvidia rather than the PPAs).

If anyone can tell me what information would be useful for this bug I'll happy collect it.
word. This is a big issue!
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
High CPU Usage on SVN Build0