• 25(current)
Compressed textures for FanArt - testing here with XBMC 2009-10-05 (r23431) or newer
I have used the dds option for very long now and all the images are converted already but in the xbmc.log file i see this all the time.

20:31:49 T:2978995056 M:1342976000 DEBUG: Creating DDS version of: special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/2/223b069d.jpg
20:31:58 T:2978995056 M:1342689280 DEBUG: Compress - using DXT1 (min error is: 6.30:0.00)
20:32:02 T:2924743536 M:1341870080 DEBUG: Creating DDS version of: special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/c/c0015d94.jpg
20:32:10 T:2924743536 M:1342656512 DEBUG: Compress - using DXT1 (min error is: 11.87:0.00)
20:32:15 T:2914253680 M:1341534208 DEBUG: Creating DDS version of: special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/9/92397473.jpg
20:32:21 T:2914253680 M:1342185472 DEBUG: Compress - using DXT1 (min error is: 7.95:0.00)
20:32:28 T:2958355312 M:1341628416 DEBUG: Creating DDS version of: special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/4/44bfa1bf.jpg
20:32:32 T:2958355312 M:1341624320 DEBUG: Compress - using DXT1 (min error is: 3.96:0.00)
20:32:42 T:2978995056 M:1340977152 DEBUG: Creating DDS version of: special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/c/c8830825.jpg

Its still converting even if all the images are converted. We does it do that? I you the stable build 10.00
They're not all converted in that case.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:They're not all converted in that case.

I see this in my xbmc.log to is this something to ignrore or...
Can you be more specific.
Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro, Nvidia Shield 2015
What he is saying is that if they were already all converted like you said, your logs would not tell you that it's still converting images. The fact that these messagse are in the logs tells you that there remains work to do before all images are converted to DDS.
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
myrison Wrote:What he is saying is that if they were already all converted like you said, your logs would not tell you that it's still converting images. The fact that these messagse are in the logs tells you that there remains work to do before all images are converted to DDS.

Owk thx. I allready experienced that it is working perfect. No stuttering at all anymore.
Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro, Nvidia Shield 2015
I have tryed this now with just ten pictures as fanart and using alaska revisited skin. Everytime a use Alaska it converts the ten images when showing them but if I then switch to the skin Confluence and back it converts them again. I can see that they allready are dds because the fanart shows up wery quick but stil they are converted again.
Where are the .JPG Fanarts? I can't find them on my HDD.
Here's the code I use to make sure everything is converted. Requires nvidia texture tools.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

DIRS[1]=.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails

SAVEIFS=$IFS
IFS=$(echo -en "\n\b")

temp="/tmp/0.$RANDOM.jpg"
for DIR in ${DIRS[@]}; do
    for f in `find $DIR -type f -name *.tbn -o -name *.jpg -o -name *.png`; do
            dds=${f%.*}.dds
            if [ -f $dds ]
            then
                echo "$dds exists"
            else
                echo "$dds does not exist"
                if [ ! ${f#*.} == "tbn" ];then
                    jnk=$(file $f | grep JPEG)
                    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
                        cp $f $temp
                        /opt/bin/nvcompress -fast -bc3 "$temp" $dds
                    fi
                else
                    /opt/bin/nvcompress -fast -bc3 "$f"
                fi
            fi
    done
done
IFS=$SAVEIFS
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
After upgrading to xbmc 10.1 I cant see in the xbmc.log file that anything is converting. Is the a bugg or is logging of för DDS conversion?
do you have debugging enabled? In a non-beta release, that's the only way I've seen those messages in the logs.
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
Marcus263 Wrote:I'm in the middle of writing up a comprehensive guide for optimising the performance of Apple TV; so far I've taken the Alaska Revisited skin stripped it down to the core, repacked the textures for speed, written up some startup scripts to disable unnecessary services (Printer, Airtunes, Network Time, PBS etc) and given XBMC a 'nice' high priority, optimised all image and XML files to take up a small footprint and it seems to be working. We only have 250megs of RAM to work with and a bad processor but so far so good.

I'm on the bit where I'm optimising the fan art, I've temporarily disabled DDS in advancedsettings.xml so that I can optimise the JPG files (currently set at .tbn). My question is this; A current fan-art downloaded with a file size of 100kb, when optimised with certain tools gives me a 50-60% optimisation, so let's say it's reduced to 50kb in file size. If I then enable DDS in advancedsettings.xml, will it re-encode the existing optimised 50kb file or will it download the original file, re-encode, then save as a DDS, ultimately negating the initial optimisation?

Thank you.

Two things...

1. Optimizing image size (i.e. size in bytes) by tweaking the jpeg/png compression settings is not going to have much if any impact on performance on an Apple TV. It will save disk space of course, but it won't make the images load much faster. The time delta between reading a 100kb file and a 50kb file is going to be virtually zero - the disk i/o (which is actually pretty fast since it is flash based) is completely eclipsed by the rendering overhead. The bottleneck is in the GPU, and everything ends up being a bitmap eventually so the byte size of compressed images is mostly irrelevant.

No matter how much you compress the on disk version of an image, it's size once it reaches the framebuffer is width x height x bitsPerPixel (with the exception of native GPU compression formats - see 2). If you want to increase performance, you should be reducing the resolution of the images, not optimizing the compression.

2. Apple TV's using OpenGL ES and do not support DXT textures (which is what xbmc produces currently when the useddsfanart option is set). As things are now, useddsfanart won't work on an Apple TV. Support for PVR texture compression (which is similar to DXT and serves roughly the same purpose on Apple devices) may be added in the future, but as of right now it is not supported.

Anway, to answer your specific question (caveats mentioned above aside): If you enable dds xbmc will compress the version of the image it already has in it's cache - it will not re-download the image.
galvanash Wrote:2. Apple TV's using OpenGL ES and do not support DXT textures (which is what xbmc produces currently when the useddsfanart option is set). As things are now, useddsfanart won't work on an Apple TV. Support for PVR texture compression (which is similar to DXT and serves roughly the same purpose on Apple devices) may be added in the future, but as of right now it is not supported.

Actually, on OpenGLES devices, DDS compression does benefit. XBMC will still compress them and while CPU is used to decompress, this seems faster than using png/jpg decompression.

I'm looking into PVR compression but it does have more restrictions than DDS, w must equal h and both must be a power-of-two. PVR can also suffer from boundary edge ringing. The one disadvantage of PVR compression is there is no way to compress on the fly on the native ARM device.
This may have been covered before, but is there a way to export the DDS images as well as TBN when exporting Libraries?
I have the advanced setting working perfectly for all my fanart - way snappier than it was before.

Way back in this thread I read
Quote:"It's already done by default for skins, through the .xbt file."

Is this definitely the case for all skins? With my puny atom processor, changing between screens with different wallpapers can be quite sluggish. I would love to be sure that as much work as possible is being offloaded to the ION GPU.

There are no .dds files in my skin folder. Are there any files I could manually convert to .dds to get snappier performance? (running BackRow)

Thanks!
I am planning on following this guide

http://htpcguide.info/index.php?option=c...&Itemid=62

After the initial conversion do I need to schedule the conversion regularly or will XBMC handle this
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Compressed textures for FanArt - testing here with XBMC 2009-10-05 (r23431) or newer1