[LINUX] SVN Repo Installer Problems
lkraav Wrote:xbmc default is to disable all externals. whoever wrote the gentoo ebuild obviously just didnt think much of that and flipped the --enable switch. everything else probably works quite ok, except for python.

Right, I know that default is to disable externals, but ultimately it is desirable to use external packages whenever possible. Using private copies of libraries means more security risks as private copies inside applications rarely get patched when the system library is patched. It also bloats the size of applications, especially in the case of the both the ffmpeg and Python libraries which are very large.

Many distributions (including Fedora) have explicit policies in their packaging guidelines against using private copies because of such security and bloat issues and will either need to patch or may ultimately refuse to accept such packages. So it's in the long-term interest of getting XBMC into as many distributions as possible to ultimately fix this.

I was hoping that there were some XBMC developers working on getting Python scripts and plugins working via external Python libraries.
Ok, so how do I get this thing working in LIVE?
my thread is here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61677
fiveisalive Wrote:Right, I know that default is to disable externals, but ultimately it is desirable to use external packages whenever possible. Using private copies of libraries means more security risks as private copies inside applications rarely get patched when the system library is patched. It also bloats the size of applications, especially in the case of the both the ffmpeg and Python libraries which are very large.

Many distributions (including Fedora) have explicit policies in their packaging guidelines against using private copies because of such security and bloat issues and will either need to patch or may ultimately refuse to accept such packages. So it's in the long-term interest of getting XBMC into as many distributions as possible to ultimately fix this.

I was hoping that there were some XBMC developers working on getting Python scripts and plugins working via external Python libraries.

all valid points. while xbmc isn't really an internet-facing app, any security problems could still be exploited simply by letting user download and execute malware.

i went through this query: http://trac.xbmc.org/query?status=accept...changetime

look at #5404, #5416, #7754
xbmc-pvr-ppa-odk68, Gentoo x86 3.0.7-pf, xorg-server-1.11.2, mesa-7.11, nvidia-drivers-290.10
lkraav Wrote:xbmc default is to disable all externals. whoever wrote the gentoo ebuild obviously just didnt think much of that and flipped the --enable switch. everything else probably works quite ok, except for python.

Please explain. I need to get python working.
outleradam Wrote:Please explain. I need to get python working.

what is there to explain, everything has been said in the thread.
xbmc-pvr-ppa-odk68, Gentoo x86 3.0.7-pf, xorg-server-1.11.2, mesa-7.11, nvidia-drivers-290.10
^^ Well, if the soloution is to downgrade, what version? What files are effected by this enabled switch... what is the --enabled switch?

Does Gentoo have anything at all to do with live? It looks like a different version of linux then ubuntu.
outleradam Wrote:^^ Well, if the soloution is to downgrade, what version? What files are effected by this enabled switch... what is the --enabled switch?

Does Gentoo have anything at all to do with live? It looks like a different version of linux then ubuntu.

yes it is different enough. you should probably hop on IRC for help.
Ok, so does this have anything to do with my issues with LIVE? I have no access to irc from this military network.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] SVN Repo Installer Problems0