Media Fanart/Artwork Guide
i was reading through your instructions - so this does not work on Windows?
Also is there a link to download the script?
(2013-03-08, 17:06)dugan26 Wrote: i was reading through your instructions - so this does not work on Windows?
Also is there a link to download the script?

I haven't tested it on Windows (I run OpenELEC, so Linux) but as long as your XBMC PC has Python 2.7 then I don't see why it shouldn't work, though you'll need to provide a suitable configuration in the properties file to account for your Windows setup. I'll be interested to know if it does/doesn't work - if the latter I'll do what I can to make it work (within reason!)

The download instructions are in the first post of the thread, it's not a link as such as you just need to run wget to pull down the script (or paste the url into your browser and save as etc.) The instructions are a bit Linux-centric, sorry about that.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
got cha- will give it my best efforts ...
Yea that is a bit over my head - I took down your script - but im not much of a code guy ..

I was able to dig into the fanart cache and manually change the name of the file i was trying to over-wright and that worked. But what i cant understand is what is the point of having a file inside my folder called fanart.jpg if xbmc does not look at that - or does it look at that the very first time, then store that into cache? How does that work exactly? anyone?

Second question- when i hit C on the artist and i pick get fanart and point to the fanart i want why does that not work?

Third and final - (sorry) what about an artist that shows no Fanart (like from a local band) and i put a file in the artist folder called fanart.jpg - XBMC does not pick that up either - nor does the C get fanart option.

Anyone can explain this process? much appreciated
(2013-03-08, 19:08)dugan26 Wrote: Yea that is a bit over my head - I took down your script - but im not much of a code guy ..

If you get stuck let me know. I realised earlier that the way I've formatted the output could mean it's a bit of a mess when running in an 80 column Windows cmd shell, but I think you can reconfigure cmd to use more columns... in ssh on Linux you can just resize the window to view more columns etc.

(2013-03-08, 19:08)dugan26 Wrote: I was able to dig into the fanart cache and manually change the name of the file i was trying to over-wright and that worked. But what i cant understand is what is the point of having a file inside my folder called fanart.jpg if xbmc does not look at that - or does it look at that the very first time, then store that into cache? How does that work exactly? anyone?

XBMC should look at it the local file once, then cache it locally on the XBMC client so that in future the image is pulled from the faster cache, rather from the original source. I also think XBMC is supposed to periodically look at the local version of the image and compare it with the cached version (presumably using a hash), and refresh the cache if it the local version has changed, however that's never worked for me (hence the script).

By querying the local texture cache you can see if it has used your local file (fanart.jpg) or pulled in something random from the internet. If it's pulling in something random from the internet rather than using your local file, then chances are it's a naming problem of some kind. Certainly, the Universal Movie Scraper should be pulling in local artwork if it is named correctly.

(2013-03-08, 19:08)dugan26 Wrote: Second question- when i hit C on the artist and i pick get fanart and point to the fanart i want why does that not work?

Again, this is why I wrote the script. It's a major pain in the a@se that when you update a poster or fanart on the local filesystem with a new image, XBMC refuses to use/display the new file and continues to use the older cached image. For instance, if you have a file called folder.jpg on your NAS which has already been cached, and you replace it with a better version, but keep the filename the same (as you would/should), it's impossible to replace the older cached version by refreshing XBMC with the newer local artwork. Total PITA. Hence, the script, which fixes that problem (albeit it's just a workaround, as fixing the fundamental issue/bug would of course be best).

(2013-03-08, 19:08)dugan26 Wrote: Third and final - (sorry) what about an artist that shows no Fanart (like from a local band) and i put a file in the artist folder called fanart.jpg - XBMC does not pick that up either - nor does the C get fanart option.

Not sure about the music scrapers so much, but apparently a fanart.jpg in the Artist folder should work. If it's not working, you probably need to post in the relevant scraper thread - for Universal Music Scraper, that's here (Artists) and/or here (Albums).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Many thanks for such a detailed explanation. Enjoy your weekend!
I will update this with Frodo recommendations soon.

It's stood the test of time until now, but it's time to update it!
Like others have said this is a fantastic explanation that I wish I'd read earlier in my XBMC experience.
This really needs to go in the wiki and not be stuck in a thread on the forums.
Is there now a wiki entry with this information?
Can somebody PLEASE Help?!
I have an iPad running Kodi. In my van I have a wireless router which is connected to a hdd. This router is not connected to the internet. How do I add fanart etc without an internet connection?
I periodically move the router and hdd in to my house and connect it via lan cable to enable the download of fanart.
My problem is this.....I download odd movies and tv shows then transfer them to my hdd via FileBrowser when I'm out and about in the van I then cannot add the fanart!
Is there a way of downloading the relevant fanart when just my iPad is connected to my home network then add them to the tv show etc when I'm back in three vanHuhHuh
Question on fanart related to this guide.

I have a home "movie" with its own fanart and thumbnail.
I followed the conventions and added the jpegs to the movie directory.

When Kodi started - it scraped from the movie database different artwork with a related, but very different title.

How do I force Kodi to use MY artwork for the background art and the thumbnail?

Thanks
(2016-01-26, 02:44)mjz3348 Wrote: Question on fanart related to this guide.

When Kodi started - it scraped from the movie database different artwork with a related, but very different title.

Thanks

There is a AD setting to use Local Files, which does this for commercial movies as well as Home movies.
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
(2016-01-27, 16:50)CaptainKen Wrote:

Thanks

There is a AD setting to use Local Files, which does this for commercial movies as well as Home movies.

Where is this "AD" setting? Thanks
(2016-01-29, 18:06)mjz3348 Wrote:
(2016-01-27, 16:50)CaptainKen Wrote:

Thanks

Where is this "AD" setting? Thanks

Add-ons->Program Add-ons-Artwork Downloader->Configure-Advanced
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Fanart/Artwork Guide4