Media Fanart/Artwork Guide
stokedfish Wrote:Yeah, same here. It picks up folder.jpg but fanart.jpg gets ignored. Weird.

Hmmm...

weird, weird, weird... but I did a scrape on my music for get artist info, and miraculously the fanarts have now appeared, pulled from my local source, not the scraper.
Unfortunately, I don't have time to really look into this... and since I'm changing SVN all the time, updating skins, AND fixing some broken tags and organising my media for the 1000th time... there are too many variables for me to figure what the issue is! (without spending ages interrupting my work)
I am running PM3.HD skin with svn25010. When I scan my movies for updates the fanart.jpg is not being picked up. I have it setup as hierarchical, some are mismatched and stacked, but all folders containing fanart.jpg should take priority over other files from what I've read. I also can't tell if XBMC is reading my movie.nfo files are if it's actually connecting to IMDB to scrape -- I'll have to fire up tcpdump to find out, but I suspect that it isn't reading the movie.nfo file. Are there any specific options that I need to set within "Set Content" and the IMDB "Settings" menus?

TIA.
agroman Wrote:I am running PM3.HD skin with svn25010. When I scan my movies for updates the fanart.jpg is not being picked up. I have it setup as hierarchical, some are mismatched and stacked, but all folders containing fanart.jpg should take priority over other files from what I've read. I also can't tell if XBMC is reading my movie.nfo files are if it's actually connecting to IMDB to scrape -- I'll have to fire up tcpdump to find out, but I suspect that it isn't reading the movie.nfo file. Are there any specific options that I need to set within "Set Content" and the IMDB "Settings" menus?

TIA.

OK, this may sound like dumb question... but what's making you think the fanart isn't being picked up?... a screen shot would be good.
It IS fanart you're expecting to see right, and not the Movie front covers?

(just checking!)
AnalogKid Wrote:OK, this may sound like dumb question... but what's making you think the fanart isn't being picked up?... a screen shot would be good.
It IS fanart you're expecting to see right, and not the Movie front covers?

(just checking!)

I found that I had to change the content setting to none and confirm the deletion of all entries in the database for that path. Upon re-scan the fanart.jpg is being read and displays in the background. Now, I'm having trouble with the movie.tbn files being read in. I have found that I can select "Movie Info -> Get Thumb" and it will read the remove movie.tbn file, but why won't it load them automatically? Is there something else that I need to clean up in my library??

Thank you!
Gonna bump this instead of making a new thread, hope thats okay.

I've downloaded a new poster for Heroes Season 4 and named it season04.tbn and put it in the correct folder with the others. It shows as the new poster when I open it in Paint. However, XBMC does not update the poster. I've tried to remove and add Heroes but it still shows the old poster.

What am I doing wrong?

Using r32748-Dharma with Confluence skin
Wow, the one of the best informational threads yet!!!!!

I've wasted hours scouring the net looking for a comprehensive guide. All I could find is are pieces here and there. In fact, I had just started creating my own document when I came across yours! An you actually keep the OP updated as well! Wish more users would do that!

This needs to be added to these main pages:
Thumbnails - XBMC
Extra fanart - XBMC

Thank you, thank you!
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
How should the folder organization of movie sets be handled?

For instance, (assuming I'm using the nfo <Set> tag for each movie):
a) Create a "Media Library\Movies\James Bond Collection" main folder and then within it have each movie in its' own folder?
b) Don't use a "James Bond Collection" folder and simply put each movie in its' own folder within the main "Media Library\Movies" folder?

Does it matter which of the above approaches I use?
You don't need to have each movie in a <set> folder. So, (B) seems to be correct. I have a folder called "Movies" and inside are folders for each movie. Some of them are part of a set, but xbmc figured that out by nfos or scraping.
(2012-09-04, 08:28)Vaikin Wrote: You don't need to have each movie in a <set> folder. So, (B) seems to be correct. I have a folder called "Movies" and inside are folders for each movie. Some of them are part of a set, but xbmc figured that out by nfos or scraping.

Thank you for for replying Vaikin. Should I assume that it will still work if I choose to use a movie set folder? Seems like better organization rather than having them scattered everywhere through a library.
Not sure. Best bet, make a dummy directory with some movies and then 1 folder with a set of movies inside. Add it to xbmc and see if it works or not.

For me, having set movies gathered in their own folder is unnecessary. The whole idea about using xbmc, for me at least, is so that I don't have to screw around and search through a gazillion files trying to find the one I want. Xbmc organizes everything, so why bother?
This should be a 'sticky' topic !
I had to make a thread asking about some of the things covered here but had I known I wouldnt have had to.

Thanks to the OP and all those who helped !

PLEASE STICKY !
Although some of the information, specifically movies, is out of date (ie. wrong) with respect to Frodo, so before any sticky-ing occurs it should be updated.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I have lo res fanart on a music artist and trying to change to hi res. Tried few things:
1. Changed the fanart.jpg inside the actual folder where the artist and album reside
2. Added fanart.jpg (new hi res) inside the album folder as well as the artist folder.

eg: Artist fanart.jpg
Album 1 fanart.jpg
Album 2 fanart.jpg

3. Navigate to Music, Album (or Artist) on main menu, highlight the album (or Artist) hit "C" and album information (or...) then go to Get Fanart - browse to the hi res fanart and hit ok

(hi res and low res pictures are different pictures so i can ensure i am actually changing them)

I dont know the architecture of xbmc but one time i had a similar issue with extrafanart in movies and i was directed to delete (rename original first) textures.db - i tried this also.

4. I also deleted entire music library, and re-added it.

Where is this darn fanart hiding?

Love XBMC and all you folks developing a knock out product!!!

Many thanks in advance ...
@dugan26: I've written a script (thread here) which may be of use to you - you'll be able to see which file is being used in the local texture cache, you'll be able to delete it (just the file+row of the offending artwork, not the entire texture cache) and also force an update of the cache (for just that album or artist, or your whole library).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-03-08, 15:45)MilhouseVH Wrote: @dugan26: I've written a script (thread here) which may be of use to you - you'll be able to see which file is being used in the local texture cache, you'll be able to delete it (just the file+row of the offending artwork, not the entire texture cache) and also force an update of the cache (for just that album or artist, or your whole library).

you rock! I will try this tonight! Love you "script" guys! haha enjoy your weekend and many thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Fanart/Artwork Guide4