xbmc -only- display
Hi Folks,

I need some advice on if this is possible. My xbox is dying and was looking at something to replace the hardware. So far my best option I found is a htpc running off usb.. etc etc.

My friend suggested that maybe if I could run xbmc from my pc I could save some cash.

Sounds good but I don't want the person using the tv to have access to my computer. I was thinking of a virtual pc running xbmc to the tv but really I have no idea.

Ideally - The person turns on the tv (chooses input) and xbmc is on it. All the remote does is access xbmc and no other functions of the pc.

My pc is the home server and is on all day. Specs are:
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 X58+ICH10R QPI 6.4GT/s DDR3 2000
Intel Core i7 920 Processor LGA1366 2.66GHz 8MB Cache CPU
Gigabyte GTX260(216SP) 896M OC DDR3 PCIE2.0 2xDVI TV-Out HDCP HDMI
Patriot 6G(3X2G) DDR3 1600 Tri Kit CL8 Viper

Is this possible or should I just bite the bullet and get a htpc? Any suggesions are appreciated.sor
No worries. Hardware section coming up.

As to the question, if you leave the computer running all the time, you can also leave xbmc on at all times and include only those functions that you want to use with eventghost.

You would still be able to access the computer through windows shares and possibly a webserver like the utorrent webui, but wouldn't be able to use it in any other way.
With Windows... no clue

With Linux. Not easy, but not impossible. Look up 'multi-seat'. Basically you'd have them setup as different monitors for different users. I believe they've gotten to the point where they can use 2 video cards to hardware accelerate both displays.

If you really have to run windows.... run that in the virtual machine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc -only- display0