• 3(current)
[MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor)
Well, apparently, third time's a charm since after my latest xbmc install the home script thing now works as it should. Sorry to waste everyone's time.
wyrm Wrote:batrad, checkout the first post of this thread, download link is available there. Sorry, have been ill with flu, so next release has been delayed, hopefully in a week or two. Hope to have a couple of new features (maybe even fanart list view) and possibly some screen shots as have decided to change the basic look of xTV a little.

Wyrm (xTV SAF)

np.. hope you feel better soon

eagerly waiting for the Fanart mod...
Just noticed this thread. I know that the version of the xTV skin that I used as a base for making my list-view w/fanart mod had some problems with the newer XBMC builds (e.g., "add source" didn't work), so I just tried this out and saw that that this skin seemed to be more compatible with the newer XBMC versions. Anyways, FWIW, I copied my modded files over to this skin and they seem to work fine. So if you want list-view w/fanart, just follow the instructions in my thread using this skin as your base and you should be good to go.
waiting for Wyrm to post the latest build that includes Fanart...
batrad Wrote:waiting for Wyrm to post the latest build that includes Fanart...

batrad,

Really I could release at just about any time as I try to work on one thing until its working, then move onto the next issue. The name of the skin is xTV SAF (spouse acceptance factor). While I don't mind the eye candy, it does not really increase said factor (sometimes it actually can reduce it), so I would prefer to work on SAF things and leave eye candy for latter.

Have to admit that the hardest part of adding Scott R's fanart mod to my mod was getting the conditional visibility working properly so that it can be turned off if the 'BOSS' does not like the eye candy.

I would like to finish cleaning up menus and the strings file and see if I can't get an alternative navigation method working (having problems getting the required script working), so I'm aiming for release this weekend, but not sure if I can manage it.

Wyrm
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
wyrm Wrote:Have to admit that the hardest part of adding Scott R's fanart mod to my mod was getting the conditional visibility working properly so that it can be turned off if the 'BOSS' does not like the eye candy.
Just out of curiosity, do you really think it's worth the added effort just to allow this to be toggled on/off? A couple of thoughts/opinions on this:

1) The fanart itself neither improves nor diminishes usability, though it can diminish the speed of scrolling, and that does have the potential of diminishing usability (though from my daily usage of this, this loss in speed is nowhere near to the point of frustrating the user experience or making things feel "slow" or unresponsive).

2) I would consider seeing or not seeing fanart as more of a house-wide decision. IMO, usability is improved by having a consistent experience on all of your XBMC streamers. So having one skin on one box/TV and another skin on a different box/TV is going to make things more difficult for your spouse/children if they have to ever use both boxes/TVs. If you're using the xTV skin on all of your boxes, make a decision as to whether you like fanart or not, and if you do, you should show it on all of your boxes. If you don't, the problem is solved by not pulling/storing the fanart on your server. My mod will, when it doesn't find fanart for a particular movie, display the available boxart/poster instead.
Scott R Wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you really think it's worth the added effort just to allow this to be toggled on/off? A couple of thoughts/opinions on this:

1) The fanart itself neither improves nor diminishes usability, though it can diminish the speed of scrolling, and that does have the potential of diminishing usability (though from my daily usage of this, this loss in speed is nowhere near to the point of frustrating the user experience or making things feel "slow" or unresponsive).

2) I would consider seeing or not seeing fanart as more of a house-wide decision. IMO, usability is improved by having a consistent experience on all of your XBMC streamers. So having one skin on one box/TV and another skin on a different box/TV is going to make things more difficult for your spouse/children if they have to ever use both boxes/TVs. If you're using the xTV skin on all of your boxes, make a decision as to whether you like fanart or not, and if you do, you should show it on all of your boxes. If you don't, the problem is solved by not pulling/storing the fanart on your server. My mod will, when it doesn't find fanart for a particular movie, display the available boxart/poster instead.

Scott R,

Don't take my views as criticism of you or your views, but I'm looking at this skin purely from a unsophisticated users point of view. For example, I have included a 'wall' view (but you did not probably see it due to it not being available in 16x9 yet). The wife does not like it, as "It's a bit busy", instead she prefers a nice simple 'list' view. I LOVE eye candy, but I can also see how it can be distracting for others, thus the option to turn off anything that I think some user will not want to see.

We run XBMC on our main TV thru an Xbox(4x3 at the moment) for the benefit of the wife and kids. I'm doing all of the development on XBMC running under Winblowschunks XP. So the household policy for XBMC is whatever the wife tells me it is (makes for a happier life for me Wink).

So if I release something and you guys think, 'Why the hell did he do that' and 'When the hell is he going to include ...' , you just need to filter it thru the above philosophy.

Having said that, at some point I intend to have fanart available anywhere that would make sense to include it and to have media flagging available as well (another thing the wife and kid's care not a jot about).

BUT, to those people still running on the Xbox, just remember, too much eye candy will start causing you problems. This is the reason why some of the 'nicer' looking skins will not run on the Xbox.

If people would like to make mods to my mod, feel free, just remember that at the moment I am making quite a few changes all over the place. I can almost guarantee that your mods will break between each release.

Wyrm (xTV SAF)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

xTV is the primary skin on both my XBOX's in the house. The only reason I use fanart is its easier for my 6 year old and my mother to select the movie they want to watch and not have to bother with the small font from 10 feet away

Don't use the Library view as its too slow on the XBOX, so xTv List view with fanart rocks in my house
Opps, posted this to the wrong thread, probably better posted here

Wyrm

Sorry for the delay of the new release, but I have decided to add some version checking to make sure people are running an appropriate version of XBMC. At this stage you need to be running a nightly build with a svn of about 21000. I have been testing using svn 21923, so if you use a nightly build from after that you should see no problems (I hope Wink ).

Hope to now have the next release out by mid week. Features include :

• Fanart in List and Wrap views
  • ALL menu items except for System and Play disk can be removed in Home menu
  • Updated Skin settings menus (things have moved in some cases and a number of new setting have been added)
  • Music Videos link now on the Home menu
  • Reworked the Video onscreen display
  • A number of small visual changes
  • 16x9 support of previous xTV SAF changes, PAL and PAL16x9 should now be identical
  • And a number of bugs squashed (I Hope Wink)
I have probably forgotten a number of things, but will try to make sure the release notes accurately match what I have done.

Wyrm (xTV SAF)

Nice to read Big Grin I love your mod xtv. Thx for doing this. Is there a way to run it on macos ppc ?
this does leave some of us original XBox owners out :-(
Don't know where to look for the latest nightly builds...
batrad Wrote:this does leave some of us original XBox owners out :-(
Don't know where to look for the latest nightly builds...

batrad,

No, not at all. Google 'T3ch XBMC' or even 'XBMC nightly builds'. There are builds available latter that the Babylon 9.04 that is listed on the main XBMC site (I'm using one at the moment in fact). Not hard to find, just not sure of the legal status, so you need to do 30 seconds of Googling to find them.

Wyrm (xTV SAF)

Hi Everyone,

Sorry it's taken a while, but here is a 'English only version of the next release. I need to organise translation of strings.xml for non English speakers. If I can have a couple of people play with this while I am organising the translations, hopefully I wont have the situation I had last time where I had to release a bug fix right after the main release.

[url=http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AORGCLLM][/url](No Longer available, about to post update)

I will add this to the first post and get bram77 to upload it to the xbox google skin project when I finalise the translations .

Wyrm (xTV SAF)

Wyrm,

Thanks for the update..
batrad Wrote:Wyrm,

Thanks for the update..

batrad,

So does that mean that you were the only person whom downloaded the 'English Only' version? Have you found any problems as yet?

Have a couple more translations to look after, Google Translate and I are doing our best, but it takes a little while and is a bit tedious. Hopefully will have it done in a day or so.

Wyrm (xTV SAF)

• 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor)3