AAC 5.1 converted on the fly to AC3 5.1 audio... how?
Hi, is there some possibility for passthrough movie sound AAC 5.1 directly to my AVR.I have Onkyo TX NR 5010 and it should be able to decoded it.XBMC Gotham is set like that : Audio output device -wasapi Tx nr 5010; number of channels 7.0; enable passthrough-on, passthrough output device-wasapi tx nr 5010,,all rest like AC-3,DTS, TrueHD etc is on. But AVR is playing only stereo 2.0. If I change manualy AVR to multichannel or Direct, it play surround, but instead of surround L/R is playing sound from Surround back L/R loudspeakers !!! How it is possible? And before, on older XBMC the AVR was able to decode AAC5.1 correctly and automaticaly as AC3 signal.Thank you.
this weeks winner of the oldest thread bump.
(2014-10-17, 17:18)helta Wrote: this weeks winner of the oldest thread bump.
Did you react on me? Very good help, thanks.
AAC can't be passed through and even if it could it's almost certain your AVR won't be able to decode it.

You don't say how you are connected to the AVR, so options are:

1. HDMI - ensure Number of Channels is set to 5.1 and the AAC will be decoded to PCM 5.1 which should show as Multichannel on the AVR, if this does not work then you could have an EDID problem (we'd need a debug log from you to see if this is the case) where the HDMI connection is reporting it can do PCM 2.0 only, in this situation you can try setting Number of Channels to 2.0 and follow guidance for SPDIF below.

2. SPDIF - ensure Passthrough is enabled and Dolby Digital Capable Receiver and Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding are selected, this will allow AAC 5.1 to be transcoded to AC3 5.1.
On my AVR manual there is , that AAC is able to decode.But anyway,it is connected: HDMI from HTPC from GPU AMD HD7700 to AVR, AvR to TV another HDMI.I met problem with PC,after new Windows 8 instalation AAC decoding stopped working, before I was using Frodo and my AVR decoded to PCM 5.1 automatically, it showed on AVR display AC-3 and played to 5.0 normally. It was set I mentioned before, 7.0 configuration, which I am using. But now with Gotham it don't work, and when I am switching on AVR Direct or Multichannel -but I must to do it manually,,it leads to 5.0 configuration, bud instead of surround channels, the sound is from surround back channels. The trick with SPDIF is bad solution -I have a lot of movies in True HD or DTS HD master 5 or 7 channels, and this best quality formats after that are not passing through HDMI and only classical DTS or AC3 is playing. I will try to get log, if I am ensure,how to do it. Thank you very much.
Your manual will be referring to the type of files it can play back from it's network connection from a media share, this does not mean it can receive AAC over HDMI.

The Number of Channels setting has nothing to do with passthrough, so for True HD or DTS HD it doesn't matter what it is set to, you will always get full 7.1 to the AVR even if it's set to 2.0, this is because this setting only applies to audio decoded by XBMC to PCM.
Ah, yes, you are right, I have checked the manual. But even if I am setting to 2.0, the AVR is unable to decoded AAC 5.1, it remains stereo, and SPDIF setting is cancelling TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio - when setting SPDIF in XBMC is on, the AVR don't recognize DTS HD or True HD cannels. And to be honest, the SPDIF was at Frodo, I am using now Gotham and I can not locate SPDIF setting. So, do you think, that I should send here my log? How can I do it please?
I did not say set to SPDIF, I said use the the SPDIF settings, perhaps I wasn't clear enough and that got misunderstood in translation.

Audio Output Device - WASAPI HDMI
Number of Channels - 2.0
Dolby Digital Capable Receiver - Selected
Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding - Selected

However if you are able to send TrueHD and DTS HD then you should also be able to send PCM 5.1 so you wouldn't need to do the transcoding.

If you want to get any further a debug_log (wiki) is really needed of you playing something with AAC 5.1.
Yes, I didn't understand before, now it is clear. I would like to thank you for your help, now, it is working.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AAC 5.1 converted on the fly to AC3 5.1 audio... how?0