xbmc's plugin framework & documentation needs improvement
The have really great and detailed Python Documentation.
http://dev.plexapp.com/docs/

Also they have Plug-in Example Creator. We have Script for this already but not updated for a long time.
http://dev.plexapp.com/tools/plugin_kickstart/
Feel free to add to our python documentation. Voinage's tutorial is OK but not great... all it takes is someone willing to write it up!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
I'm being upset because all this tree app(Boxee,Plex,XBMC) have different plugin construction. To much work for just one plugin on different apps. If this 3 app have same plugin construction we would have wonderful opportunity...

Yes you are right but our xbmc modules documentation(Inside the C code) not good enough either. Plugin tutorial just help on the beginning. After that I look other plugins for info.

Edit: Are XBMC Devs any plan to work together with Plex&Boxee for plugins construction?
queeup Wrote:I'm being upset because all this tree app(Boxee,Plex,XBMC) have different plugin construction. To much work for just one plugin on different apps. If this 3 app have same plugin construction we would have wonderful opportunity...

Yes you are right but our xbmc modules documentation(Inside the C code) not good enough either. Plugin tutorial just help on the beginning. After that I look other plugins for info.

Edit: Are XBMC Devs any plan to work together with Plex&Boxee for plugins construction?
Boxee's plugins are the same. They also have 'apps' that are like our scripts + some special magic juice (XULRunner, etc). I am hopeful the Devs will either work with boxee or come up with something comparable.

I don't have a mac, but afaict Plex's plugins use the closed source Plex Media Server, so it is doubtful any collaboration there will be possible.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
Hmm Plex have plugin framework package. It's download like plugin and all other plugin use that framework package for work. I'm not sure is it open or closed sources but If you want I can send you by e-mail for some research or send you a script for download all plex plugin and framework.

Boxee apps combine python code and skin on same file. I hate that. You did great job on The Big Picture script. I prefer plugins because Scripts to complicate for me.
the plex stuff is a complete and utter hack that won't ever come anywhere near our code if i have anything to say about it (which i happen to do fortunately). that's the open parts of it, i don't even want to see the parts they feel the need to hide.
I'm not say they have better code then XBMC. It's not possible because you guys working hard on the core and they don't need to work on the XBMC code.

Actually they are not hiding plugin framework code. I don't think it's closed source. It's just python codes for making easier like parsing date or cache URLs for plugins etc..
http://plugins.plexapp.com/apps/62/versi...t/download

Eventually we will have our built-in plugin system.
spiff Wrote:the plex stuff is a complete and utter hack that won't ever come anywhere near our code if i have anything to say about it (which i happen to do fortunately). that's the open parts of it, i don't even want to see the parts they feel the need to hide.

I tried Plex on my Mac and agree with you there. They hardly seem to update their main program, just the the plugins.
Voinage's tutorial is OK but not great...

Please correct then RW..... Seems to have been OKAY for a lot of people.
Better documentation is always most welcome! What Voinage has done is really great.

If there is a specific problem that needs addressing, it really only needs two things to make it happen:

1. Someone to describe the problem in detail.
2. Someone to write the docs to tackle that problem.

The lack of the first bit is often the biggest stumbling block - if you are relying on people who know more about the system than you do to document it, then you need to tell those people exactly what it is that you don't understand, and exactly what could be done to make it easier for you.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Voinage Wrote:Voinage's tutorial is OK but not great...

Please correct then RW..... Seems to have been OKAY for a lot of people.

I didn't mean to offend, I certainly couldn't have done better!

<deleted>
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log
jmarshall Wrote:if you are relying on people who know more about the system than you do to document it, then you need to tell those people exactly what it is that you don't understand, and exactly what could be done to make it easier for you.

Ok. Then I'm starting.

First, class ListItem->setInfo->infoLabels pydocs not clear enough. Some times I don't understand values. Is it srt,int,float etc...(Yea I know it's clear enough on listitem.cpp source file) For example Video and Music Rating value works different way. I have no idea How Music Rating works and what is the valid value.. I don't want to ask all my problem all the time. If docs clear enough I don't need to ask this silly questions.

Plugins really important for XBMC. (Its my opinion) Endless sources for Video/Music etc.. Should be take seriously.
I started using Plex a few days ago after running into some troubles with XBMC. Everything went away when using Plex.

With XBMC I had slow networking browsing, even while plugged in to the network. Buffering all over the place, even with 700 meg divx movies. I had audio screeches... LOUD noise while watching a scene that would last a second or less, but long and loud enough to make everyone in the room jump. Full screen issues, every time I opened the program it would open on the laptop display instead of the TV. Just a bunch of stuff that made it not so family friendly.

I moved to Plex for watching movies and things just worked. This made my wife happy.
Then I installed some of the Plex plug-ins (while sat on the couch and using the remote from within Plex) and I'm hooked. Sorry XBMC, you are my first love and I can't wait to try out the next version, but right now I'm using Plex.

I'm hanging out on these forums and watching, and waiting...
KODI running on...
Acer Aspire Revo | 2 x iPad Mini
HP Touchsmart | AppleTV | Raspberry Pi
rene Wrote:I started using Plex a few days ago after running into some troubles with XBMC. Everything went away when using Plex.

With XBMC I had slow networking browsing, even while plugged in to the network. Buffering all over the place, even with 700 meg divx movies. I had audio screeches... LOUD noise while watching a scene that would last a second or less, but long and loud enough to make everyone in the room jump. Full screen issues, every time I opened the program it would open on the laptop display instead of the TV. Just a bunch of stuff that made it not so family friendly.

I moved to Plex for watching movies and things just worked. This made my wife happy.
Then I installed some of the Plex plug-ins (while sat on the couch and using the remote from within Plex) and I'm hooked. Sorry XBMC, you are my first love and I can't wait to try out the next version, but right now I'm using Plex.

I'm hanging out on these forums and watching, and waiting...

That's nice, how are dvd iso's playing Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc's plugin framework & documentation needs improvement0