xUbuntu 9.04 (Jaunty)
XBMC 9.04 (Babylon?)
Linux Kernel: 2.6.28-14-generic

Hardware: Custom built HTPC
i386
Chip: Core 2 Duo Penryn, 32-bit (e8400)
Chipset: P43
Motherboard: ASUS P5QL/EPU
Video card: Nvidia 9800 GTX (OC'd from the factory)
NVIDIA driver: Linux-x86-185.18.36 (just updated tonight from 185.18.14).

The motherboard that I bought has an optical audio port that is not lighting up and so I cannot use digital audio. I am left using stereo from the computer's audio output port on the motherboard. I bought a splitter that splits it into the red and white RCA cables. For the devil of me, I cannot find any support on how to get it to work. I have confirmed that the optical audio is enabled in the BIOS, but beyond that its not working. Is it a problem with Linux compatibility? Can anyone help on this issue as well?

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated! Nod

If this is not the right forum to be posting this thread then you have my apologies.
XBMC 9.04 (Babylon?) - Try a newer SVN. That version is really old now.

Also post a debug log. (Read the stickies in either the linux or windows section).
Could be a faulty motherboard has the optical ever worked? I had an optical issue and tried everything to get audio working over optical in ubuntu. In the end I came to the conclusion it was hardware related as the optical light was never showing when I looked at the end of the cable. As a last resort I applied a small amount of pressure to the top of the optical link on the Motherboard and everything sprang into life, did a bit of soldering for the permanent fix. Just something to consider.
I have the same board and the same problem... just worked in windows.
Have you tried to install the latest Alsa version? The Alsa distributed with Ubuntu 9.04 is a bit old and lacks support for some newer sound hardware. I had to upgrade to Alsa 1.0.20 to get the optical output on my Asus P5N7A-VM card to become enabled.

Here's a page with instructions on how to upgrade Alsa:

http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2009/0...aunty-904/

EdgeBlade Wrote:Good evening,

Running:
xUbuntu 9.04 (Jaunty)
XBMC 9.04 (Babylon?)
Linux Kernel: 2.6.28-14-generic

Hardware: Custom built HTPC
i386
Chip: Core 2 Duo Penryn, 32-bit (e8400)
Chipset: P43
Motherboard: ASUS P5QL/EPU
Video card: Nvidia 9800 GTX (OC'd from the factory)
NVIDIA driver: Linux-x86-185.18.36 (just updated tonight from 185.18.14).

The motherboard that I bought has an optical audio port that is not lighting up and so I cannot use digital audio. I am left using stereo from the computer's audio output port on the motherboard. I bought a splitter that splits it into the red and white RCA cables. For the devil of me, I cannot find any support on how to get it to work. I have confirmed that the optical audio is enabled in the BIOS, but beyond that its not working. Is it a problem with Linux compatibility? Can anyone help on this issue as well?

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated! Nod

If this is not the right forum to be posting this thread then you have my apologies.
it worked, but with version Alsa 1.0.21.
Thank you johan77.
Just change 1.0.20 for 1.0.21 in the tutorial

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Optical Audio on motherboard will not work0