[REQUEST] Is there an interest for cross-compiling?
davilla Wrote:@openelec.tv, do you have any experience in building codesourcery cross-toolchain as native on Arm platform ?

no, but i can take an look on this cross toolchain. do you want install this toolchain on arm or crosscompile *for* arm?
greetings, Stephan

openelec.tv Wrote:no, but i can take an look on this cross toolchain. do you want install this toolchain on arm or crosscompile *for* arm?

Specifically, install arm-2008q3-72-arm-none-linux-gnueabi.src.tar.bz2 on an arm filesystem (ubuntu 9.04 based). This is tegra2 linux sdk. The native gcc is different than their cross-toolchain and I need the above to get the correct mfpu set. This would be for a native arm build of xbmc on tegra2 platform.
davilla Wrote:Specifically, install arm-2008q3-72-arm-none-linux-gnueabi.src.tar.bz2 on an arm filesystem (ubuntu 9.04 based). This is tegra2 linux sdk. The native gcc is different than their cross-toolchain and I need the above to get the correct mfpu set. This would be for a native arm build of xbmc on tegra2 platform.

do you cant set your needed mfpu (and others) with this toolchain? i am are little bit confused, why you use an cross toolchain on ARM to build native (for ARM)?

what do you think about to use OpenELEC`s toolchain to build for ARM?
greetings, Stephan

openelec.tv Wrote:do you cant set your needed mfpu (and others) with this toolchain? i am are little bit confused, why you use an cross toolchain on ARM to build native (for ARM)?

what do you think about to use OpenELEC`s toolchain to build for ARM?

cross-compiling xbmc is a pain if the build environment is not setup just right. Nvidia's build environment is not setup right for a large app like XBMC with it's many, many depends. This leaves building in scratchbox or native. On tegra2, native is not that slow, about 1 hour for a make -j2 from a make clean... Similar to the AppleTV.

The problem is the native gcc is ubuntu-arm 9.04 and not arm-2008q3. With the native gcc, I can't set mfpu as vfpv3-d16, so no hw floating point Sad

I also need to be careful about toolsets as I'm linking to OpenGL/ES and later OpenMax libs which are built using arm-2008q3.
davilla Wrote:cross-compiling xbmc is a pain if the build environment is not setup just right. Nvidia's build environment is not setup right for a large app like XBMC with it's many, many depends. This leaves building in scratchbox or native. On tegra2, native is not that slow, about 1 hour for a make -j2 from a make clean... Similar to the AppleTV.

The problem is the native gcc is ubuntu-arm 9.04 and not arm-2008q3. With the native gcc, I can't set mfpu as vfpv3-d16, so no hw floating point Sad

I also need to be careful about toolsets as I'm linking to OpenGL/ES and later OpenMax libs which are built using arm-2008q3.

i dont know if i right:

Ubuntu 9.04 uses gcc-4.3.x
Ubuntu 9.10 uses gcc-4.4.x

i have take an look at:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.3.4/...RM-Options
and:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.4.3/...RM-Options

and i have seen with gcc-4.4 it is possible to define --mfp=vfpv3-d16, with gcc-4.3 not.

so do you can use an ARM filesystem based on ubuntu 9.10 or upgrade gcc to 4.4.x to compile native?
greetings, Stephan

openelec.tv Wrote:--mfp=vfpv3-d16, with gcc-4.3 not.

i mean -mfpu=vfpv3-d16
greetings, Stephan

openelec.tv Wrote:i dont know if i right:

Ubuntu 9.04 uses gcc-4.3.x
Ubuntu 9.10 uses gcc-4.4.x

i have take an look at:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.3.4/...RM-Options
and:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.4.3/...RM-Options

and i have seen with gcc-4.4 it is possible to define --mfp=vfpv3-d16, with gcc-4.3 not.

so do you can use an ARM filesystem based on ubuntu 9.10 or upgrade gcc to 4.4.x to compile native?

not sure, did not glib version change from 4.3.4 to 4.4.3 ?
davilla Wrote:not sure, did not glib version change from 4.3.4 to 4.4.3 ?

an glibc upgrade can be only problematic on precompiled gcc packages if you use for example packages for 9.10 on 9.04. but you have several choices:

- try to install gcc from 9.10 on 9.04, this can be cause problems, because the packages are compiled (eventually you must upgrade some/many other libs - like glibc)
- recompile the gcc source packages from 9.10 on 9.04 - dont know if this compiles without problems on ubuntu, but this can be fixed
- install or upgrade your 9.04 system to 9.10
- look if there are gcc-4.4 packages for 9.04 (i have read there are gcc-snapshot packages for 9.04)

the safest way is upgrade to 9.10 or find precompiled packages for 9.04
greetings, Stephan

this thread is amazing to read. everything means something.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Is there an interest for cross-compiling?0