Asrock ion 330 BD, mkv. playback stutters in XBMC and VLC
Hi guys

I've bought a Asrock ion 330 BD, first I installed Ubuntu (Linux) and XBMC, playback of .mkv files ran smoothly in Ubuntu (even Killa Sample), but I had to change OS as there does not exsist a software program for BluRay disc playback for Ubuntu.

So I decided to try out Windows XP Pro as this uses less cpu than Vista. Now my problem is that even .mkv 720p stutters, both in XBMC (latest build) and VLC, I believe I have installed all necessary and drivers, but am unable to fix my problem, I really hope some of you guys can help me out.

Let me know if you need more info in order to help me :-)
Ah you can't use VDPAU in Windows. VDPAU is what makes makes you able to play your high def content without dropping frames if your cpu is not powerful enough to do so by itself. It transfers the work of decoding the video that the cpu would otherwise do to the gpu. I.E your cpu is not powerful enough to decode high def video by itself.

You currently can only offload to the GPU in xbmc linux or xbmc live which has a linux base.
First I'd like to thank you for a very fast reply crash123 :-)

Next I'd like to post a follow-up question:

So installing XBMC Live on my computer should do the trick? Are there any downsides as to using XBMC Live instead of regular XBMC?

Or would running XBMC Live from a USB stick be even better?

Would my OS still be Windows XP? I really need Windows in order to use Cyberlink PowerDVD for BluRay disc playback.
You can make a dual boot system, I dont know if this is Possible with the live cd.
Case: Ahanix MCE301 Mainboard: M3N78-VM :CPU X2 4200 MHz SSD: 2x OCZ agility 30G Ram: 2G Remote: MS MCE. MSI Geforece 210 & Asrock 330 ION.
You will have to install live to USB because it will wipe your whole drive before it installs, if you install to USB and make that your first boot device HDD second when the stick is in it will boot XBMC and when out Windows

You could always have XBMC launch an external player under windows then you could use MPC-HC or a media player using MPC-HC standalone filter or CoreAVC both have GPU hardware decoding

I use Zoom Player and CoreAVC myself, it works very well for me and you can set it to work with only certain files and different players

Instructions are in the wiki
Thanks X I think I will try dual boot, but can you tell me if CoreAVC + hardware acceleration will work together = even better performance?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asrock ion 330 BD, mkv. playback stutters in XBMC and VLC0