Please check spec of new HTPC
Hey folks,

New on here and new to XBMC, which looks fantastic, I cant wait to use it!

After being out of the home build scene for years Im a little "rusty", now shopping around for components to build a new HTPC so grateful if you can check my initial spec and if its bad choice, good choice, insufficient or overkill.

Mainly for HTPC use, mostly being served media from a home NAS/media server I will also build. Occasionally to be used for surfing, but no gaming use.

Small SSD chosen to install XBMC on for fast boot up times, can always install 2nd drive if I decide to install more media locally.

Will install XBMC for Linux as I understand will utilise hardware acceleration of GPU?

Spec as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 3.16GHz
Antec Fusion Remote HTPC Case - Black
OCZ Vertex Series 30GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive
Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 450W ATX2.2 Modular SLi Compliant Power Supply
OCZ Platinum Series 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel
MSI M3-F Intel G31 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Scythe Mini Ninja CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GV-N98TSL-1GI Fanless 9800GT 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Cheers,
JP.
I'd say a lot overkill, looks like a pretty nice desktop build.

Search for the Zotac Ion threads on this hardware forum and you'll get the idea. Post back if you're lost.
Ideal for XBMC under windows overkill for linux, if your always going to keep linux as your OS then you could save yourself a load of cash
Thanks for the replies guys, thats great.

Which part of the system is overkill? Im sure I read somewhere that the Atom CPU struggles with HD/bluray content, isnt that what the Zotac kit uses?

Cheers !
grumpybeard Wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, thats great.

Which part of the system is overkill? Im sure I read somewhere that the Atom CPU struggles with HD/bluray content, isnt that what the Zotac kit uses?

Cheers !

The CPU is overkill because under linux using a nvidia card the CPU should hardly be doing anything when playing back video the GPU does most of the work, Zotac is a nvidia Ion product so the same applies

Atom will only get a workout when using the GUI Laugh
>>X<<' Wrote:Atom will only get a workout when using the GUI Laugh

Don't let this quote scare you away from the zotac atom boards. Check out the threads and also THIS video of the GUI in action.
tstack77 Wrote:Don't let this quote scare you away from the zotac atom boards

Think you took my comment the wrong way I didn't mean it couldn't cope with the GUI I just meant that's when the CPU will be doing the most work, not during video playback in fact I'm still considering getting an Asrock Ion myself Wink
>>X<<' Wrote:Think you took my comment the wrong way I didn't mean it couldn't cope with the GUI I just meant that's when the CPU will be doing the most work, not during video playback in fact I'm still considering getting an Asrock Ion myself Wink

Ha, no worries Laugh

I knew what you meant, just clarifying for the op since he's new to the game.

hugs Cool
The ion is great, a lot of users use this for XBMC.

The setup you proposed is for linux overkill (as pointed out before). If you like a little more power than the atom gives you, you can pick a energy efficient cpu (a cheap one) combined with a vdpau capable graphic processor unit (gpu).

Your videocard is also overkill. Personally I would go for a nvidea 9500 512mb passive cooled. This one can do advanced deinterlacing. If you don't watch 1080i media, you can go for an even lighter and more energy efficient gpu.

as an alternative you could look into an mainboard with an onboard 8300 or 9400 gpu (this way you don't have to buy extra videocard anymore. The 8300 sells for about 60 euro's. An energy efficient cpu should also go for around 60 euro's.

These are just suggestion, everything depends on your personal choices en needs.
Hey I didnt want to start any fight over Asrock Ion capabalities between you guys!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, food for thought. I'll make my ever changing mind up this week and let you know whats on the shopping list, and will do a build log when I get the parts.

Thanks again, appreciated!

Oh, and I downloaded XBMC for Windows to see what its like, it looks awesome, although my laptop cant quite handle it. Roll on new system!
[quote=grumpybeard]Thanks for the comments and suggestions, food for thought. I'll make my ever changing mind up this week and let you know whats on the shopping list, and will do a build log when I get the parts.
QUOTE]

I assume your ever changing mind kept changing Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please check spec of new HTPC0