SDDVD upscaling ? [NEWB]
Hi,
I just recently discovered XBMC and I had a question about scaling. 1st, a bit about my plans.

I have about 300 DVDs and a few BluRay disks I plan to rip to a network storage system (w/o DRM). I'd like to use XBMC as my interface. I'm thinking of using a Zotac motherboard. I can run either Win XP or Linux.

Since they're the majority of my collection, upscaling of DVDs is important. What would be the best OS to use? Does XBMC act as the player or do I need additional software for that? If so, are there any recommendations?

I don't have a good grasp on XBMC yet, so please excuse if I'm asking dumb questions...
XBMC uses the CPU to decode all video in all OS's except Linux.

So if you wanted to use a Zotac board, you're gonna need a board with a Core 2 duo slot to use Windows, or an NVIDIA based chipset that supports mpeg4 hardware decoding (ION series) if you plan to try Linux.

Read the wiki about what XBMC is. Theres a lot of good information in there about its capabilities and such.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
Thanks for the info. I have read some of the wiki. Alas it's not always accurate, IE it states that Win, Mac, and Linux all use the CPU for upscaling.
As far as upscaling SD content I really don't think it matters your graphic card will handle the upscaling just by having it set to your screens resolution, as far as using software upscaling as well I've never really seen any difference between the two not with today's GPU's

You should worry more about playback of HD content, unless you have a CPU around the 3.0 GHz you want to go the linux route assuming your board supports hardware decoding otherwise its an external player under windows
I'm leaning towards Linux. A little research leads me to believe I can play bluray on the Linux if I rip to m2ts.

The Zotac ION series has the Nvidia ION graphics processor so I guess this will allow me to play Bluray and upscale SDDVD.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SDDVD upscaling ? [NEWB]0