• 1(current)
severe judder in vdpau
Hi,

I'm suffering video judder / stuttering on all of my HD videos. This only happens using vdpau and not with the software render. Using sync video to display does not help reducing the problem. vdpau keeps cpu under 10% on both cores and there is no frame drops but still the judder is very noticeable (it even passed the "wife test" and she noticed it last night Laugh ).

Been having this problem for some latest svn revisions now. I did a quick search trough the tickets/forum but didn't find anything related (judder only in vdpau). Anyone has seen this? My hardware is very common and it is strange nobody notices it Huh

Using ubuntu jaunty, nvidia driver 185.18.14, asus p5n7a-vm with onboard chipset.

Don't know if it will help but this is a log running the same video, first without judder (software renderer) and with judder (vdpau)

Anyone with similar problems?? Regards,
I've noticed it to. I wasn't sure if it was because we got a new tv or something else. I did update the nvidia drivers to the 190 beta ones. Didn't get the chance to test them yet. I'm also running jaunty with the latest svn.
sorry Ritzie but i am actually glad i am not alone with this problem... Blush sure we can help each other finding the solution.

Please let me know how the test with the nvidia beta drivers go...
pilluli Wrote:sorry Ritzie but i am actually glad i am not alone with this problem... Blush sure we can help each other finding the solution.

Please let me know how the test with the nvidia beta drivers go...

I saw a lot of judder on Phelm 123. I'm going to watch it again tonight and I'll let you know.
A sample file would help.
I'm trying to create a small sample. Does anyone know of a nice program to cleanly extract a sample from bluray m2ts files?

PD: I answer to myself, it seems tsmuxer can be a nice candidate Smile
Ok, i have a video file that shows the problem perfectly in my setup. The problem is that is a 1080p file of around 120mb ... Where can i upload it for people to test it?

thanks
Hi,

I have the same problem with vdpau and can reproduce it with any x264 encoded 1080p file. I tried different settings and builds but the problem remains. The same files play without a problem in mplayer and xine (both with vdpau support). As far as I can see there are no errors in the debug log.

I use the refreshrate switch to play my files which works very well with the software renderer.

System is Debian testing on an Asus P5Q board, 3Ghz Core2duo with a NVIDIA 9500GT in the PCI-E slot.

Glad I'm not alone on this.

Chrissi
and x.264 content stutters slightly when playing.. I don't see it in mplayer or any errors in logs.
Same here, I dont know what causes it though.
Thanks to chrissi323 for the hosting the test file is in here:

http://neiwo.org/sample.vc1

There is only the video (no audio or subs) and there is no container (mkv or avi) just the h.264 encoded video part.

If you play the file in xbmc, when the camera is panning out of the window it is very easy to see the judder occuring, if you focus on the middle window frame I can see it stuttering all the way (even on the second scene it can be very noticeable on the sides of the computer screen). However, with software rendering there is not judder whatsoever...

Please, test it and let's figure out what configuration triggers the problem.
the beta nivida drivers brought the judder down some but still very much noticeable.
Ritzie Wrote:the beta nivida drivers brought the judder down some but still very much noticeable.

Some other users have reported that they do not see judder in mplayer or vlc so my guess is that it is *not* related to the driver itself but how xbmc is using it Huh
With my setup Ion 330 ubuntu 9.04 and latest svn of xbmc,
there are a horrible amounts of judder on the panning scene of the sample.
im running nvidia drivers 190.32 beta btw.

Edit: it looked even worse in Mplayer(just chose vdpau render so probably a bad setup),
but after installing it its now smooth as a hot knifte through butter in xbmc
i have no idea what did the trick or if the judder will return.
Found ticket #6164 with what seems the same or very related problem.

As a side note, what are you guys using 32 or 64 bits ubuntu (maybe we can discard problems in one of them)? Are any of you using live?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
severe judder in vdpau0