• 4(current)
severe judder in vdpau
pilluli Wrote:Make sure ffplay *is* using vdpau.
You were right, ffplay was using software.
I compiled mplayer and used vdpau h264 codec and output.
No judder.
Its 5mins to compile mplayer, no extra configure options are needed and ffmgeg ppas include vdpau codec. Would be cool if you could try also.
where do you select mplayer in xbmc?
Ritzie Wrote:where do you select mplayer in xbmc?

Nowhere, mplayer is a video player, pilluli suggested to check the sample to ensure modeline, driver etc. are not the problem.
r0ck3t Wrote:You were right, ffplay was using software.
I compiled mplayer and used vdpau h264 codec and output.
No judder.
Its 5mins to compile mplayer, no extra configure options are needed and ffmgeg ppas include vdpau codec. Would be cool if you could try also.

Ok, i have tried mplayer vdpau as you suggested in my 24hz mode and I can see *no* judder. I have tried both vdpau and software and there is no difference in mplayer. For vdpau I have used the following command line:

mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffvc1vdpau sample.vc1

motd2k, do you see any use of ffmpeg vdpau (different than mplayer) that can cause this judder? Huh

regards,
The main difference of course is that we have an additional layer of presentation on top of that which mplayer uses. Mplayer simply presents the video into an X window, whereas we have to bind VDPAU's output into an OpenGL texture, and then present that texture via OpenGL.

The main reason i'm suspicious of it being a purely VDPAU problem is that i'm actually using very similar hardware to you on one of my machines. My 9500 displays perfectly, and my lesser Ion (with a 9400) presents perfectly too. Clearly something is wrong though.

Do 720p sources suffer the same judder? Also, do none-VC1 encodes suffer this issue?
Hi,

I have this with x264 too. Not sure if 720 is smooth. I will test that. At the moment XBMC crashes for me if I try to play the VC1 sample. My Debian testing uses a pretty old Xorg. I will upgrade that to a recent version and see what happens.
motd2k Wrote:Do 720p sources suffer the same judder? Also, do none-VC1 encodes suffer this issue?

I'm confident it also happens with x264 encoded content (mkv container). Not sure about 720p as most of my content is now 1080p but I will check. The sample was vc1 just because I thought that scene was very good to show the judder problem. In any case we may need another sample to test as I update my xbmc copy and now the sample does not work with vdpau on.. Laugh

motd2k Wrote:The main difference of course is that we have an additional layer of presentation on top of that which mplayer uses. Mplayer simply presents the video into an X window, whereas we have to bind VDPAU's output into an OpenGL texture, and then present that texture via OpenGL.

The main reason i'm suspicious of it being a purely VDPAU problem is that i'm actually using very similar hardware to you on one of my machines. My 9500 displays perfectly, and my lesser Ion (with a 9400) presents perfectly too. Clearly something is wrong though.

Ok, thanks for the explanation, maybe it is worth a shot checking the opengl configuration then. I'm using both "sync to vblank" and "allow flipping" ON (it can be checked in the nvidia configuration tool). Are you using the same?

Also, are any of you guys with the same problem using the same hardware as me? I'm using an onboard 9300. maybe is related to the card itself?

Let's see if we can track this down... Wink
Are you using dual-channel memory?
I suppose judder is the situation where the video slows down and the speeds up again?

I experience this problem with a number of test files:
  • Avatar august trailer from apple.com (downloaded to disk before playing), both i 720p and 1080p

• The living sea WMV 1080p and Dust to Glory 720p from the microsoft HD showcase.

My nvidia driver is the latest stable, but I can't remember my XBMC revision.

I have just bought an ASROCK 330 ION PC for the purpose of running XBMC, so I am of course very keen on resolving this issue.
motd2k Wrote:My 9500 displays perfectly, and my lesser Ion (with a 9400) presents perfectly too. Clearly something is wrong though.
I'm testing with a 9500GT too...
motd2k Wrote:Also, do none-VC1 encodes suffer this issue
Tested with mplayer using h264 vdpau video codec.

Another interesting thing: I was sure the sample is 24Hz because the xbmc log said so but when playing the same sample with mplayer it states it is 23.976Hz.

I think I'm using dual-channel memory. Could remove one GB to see if that makes a difference.
pilluli Wrote:I'm using both "sync to vblank" and "allow flipping" ON (it can be checked in the nvidia configuration tool).
Both OFF Big Grin
PHP Code:
Section "Extensions"

Option "Composite" "Disable"

EndSection 

can you try with this in your xorg.conf
motd2k Wrote:
PHP Code:
Section "Extensions"

EndSection 

can you try with this in your xorg.conf

I have that already in my xorg.conf, also with dual channel memory ... Confused
motd2k Wrote:
PHP Code:
Section "Extensions"

EndSection 
Also removed one stick of RAM to be sure dual channel is not the problem. Still no luck...
In nvidia-settings I have
"Sync to VBlank" OFF and
"Allow Flipping" ON
Image Settings to High Performance (was set to Quality before).
Anybody got a small sample where the judder can easily be identified? A 720p sample would also be interesting.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
severe judder in vdpau0