HOW-TO create/make a skin for XBMC
(dijon @ dec. 14 2004,23:27 Wrote:does this visor 1.1 skin work with 16:9 tv's it seems that it has a 4:3 background image. what are the background dimensions for 16:9 tv's do they need to be in a different folder from the standard images?
look at the first post on the first page in this thread - 16x9 and 4:3 have the same dimensions.

for the folder structure (16x9) look at the default skin:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xb...%20mayhem/
i create a preview of skin,maybe someone create it :d
is there a way to see the progress of your skin without always booting up your xbox to test it. i guess what i am asking is if there is a perl port of some sort that will allow an xbmc dash look.

or

can i install mediaportal x and skin that? are they similar. i ask before i try, sorry.

edit:

answered my own question. just installed mediaportal and see that they are the same format. with some minor differences.
i want to know how to get the program that allows you to create textures.xpr, xbmctex.exe. can someone give me the link or send me the program?

ty

drcord
it's in cvs, you have to compile it.
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
everybody keeps pointing to the skinning.txt file in the xbmc home directory. this file is incomplete. it barely mentions anything about the button control. i'd also like to know more about the other 6 controls that get no explanation whatsoever in that file.

all you people that know how to do this stuff, why is it you all just say "figure it out on your own"? why can't you help advance the knowledge of others by answering questions you know the answers to?

that's just as bad as most linux punks who say "read the man pages!" except here there are no man pages.
supersnail: the reason there is no documentation is because noone has written any.

if you can assure me that you will write documentation in the online manual about whatever control you are enquiring about, i'm more than happy to answer your questions.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(jmarshall @ june 24 2005,11:49 Wrote:supersnail: the reason there is no documentation is because noone has written any.

if you can assure me that you will write documentation in the online manual about whatever control you are enquiring about, i'm more than happy to answer your questions.
why should i assure you that i will write the documentation. you're the one that has the knowledge, you write the docs.

i just want to make a custom skin for my box, i can't do that without learning how. i can't learn how unless someone writes it down and makes it available, whether in the manual or in the answer to an inqusitive post.
yes, i have the knowledge. however, i am a developer - what i think is good documentation is not what people like yourself (ie users who are coming to xbmc cold) find is good documentation. good documentation for beginners is written by beginners.

if you aren't prepared to share with others (via documenting what you learn), why should someone else do it for you?

many others have managed just fine with what we currently have - they've done it by finding stuff out themselves, and asking specific questions when they stumble across something they don't know. unfortunately, not enough of them wrote down what they'd learnt in a place such as the online manual.

i've offered to help you (and any skinner) out, but i'm not going to answer the same questions over and over - thus my simple request.

cheers
jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Quote:yes, i have the knowledge. however, i am a developer - what i think is good documentation is not what people like yourself (ie users who are coming to xbmc cold) find is good documentation. good documentation for beginners is written by beginners.

any documentation is better than none. and who says i am a beginner? just because i don't have hundreds of post's on this forum doesn't mean diddly. i have been using modded xboxes and creating custom skins for other dbrs since before xbmc was available. the difference is they had decent docs and people willing to openly share what they had learned. to say that docs for begginers is written by beginners is inaccurate and beside the point. i don't want docs for begginers. i want details. i want clear and understandable, but not dumbed down. i don't want a walk thru. i want an explanation of the tags and how they relate to each other.

Quote:if you aren't prepared to share with others (via documenting what you learn), why should someone else do it for you?

that's kinda the pot calling the kettle black, eh?

Quote:many others have managed just fine with what we currently have - they've done it by finding stuff out themselves, and asking specific questions when they stumble across something they don't know. unfortunately, not enough of them wrote down what they'd learnt in a place such as the online manual.

most of those many others are developers (like you) or elitists (like you) who use their knowledge like a carrot on a string, to hold sway over people like me who don't have the knowledge. i have asked specific questions. i asked for explanations for the controls in home.xml that aren't explained in the online maual, more specific, i am looking for information on the "listcontrol" control.

Quote:i've offered to help you (and any skinner) out, but i'm not going to answer the same questions over and over - thus my simple request.

who says you will have to answer the same question more than once? for a developer, your bs isn't so bright. answer the question once in a public forum, or better yet answer the question by updating the wiki. the answer is there when people search for it after that. your "simple request" is nothing but more elitist bs. take responsibility for the project you are working on. make the information accesible. if you've got time to teach me, take that time to inform everyone.
(supersnail @ july 03 2005,04:15 Wrote:i am looking for information on the "listcontrol" control.
why just you simply ask your specific question here in the forum?

you may find usefull information either here in the graphics-forum, in the support forum or at the forums from chokemaniac.

the excellent forum from chokemaniac with a lot of skinning infos:

http://chokemaniac.xbmc.org/index.php

quick information about skinning in general:
my webpage
what is it you need to know about the listcontrol?

further to bobrooney_78's links, you can always pop in to #xbmc on efnet and i (or anyone else that knows) will be quite willing to answer any queries you may have.

This is a well deserved bump. Anyone know where to find the source code?
NVM found for the 2.0.1 source code.
I'm confused on the resolutions here, although it should be a pretty basic thing :p

I created a simple 720x480 image to get started playing around with this. I took the PM3 skin and essentially ripped everything out of it except the settings button, and then put my image in using an image control. the image control is set for 0,0,720,480. However when my image is displayed it does not fill the entire screen.

I am testing using the XBMC_PC, in NTSC 4:3 mode, and I have set it to pixelsize, and aspect ratio.

What am I missing?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO create/make a skin for XBMC0