Cheap android -box?
I´m looking for cheap solution for bedroom tv to run XBMC. Would this, or something in this price class work at all: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-2-3-OS-I...1636564%26 ?
Odroid C2 running CoreElec
The G-Box Midnightt is a somewhat known-quantity in terms of running XBMC on an Android box like this... it even comes per-installed. It has some quirks but there's a fairly active user group here that can help you sort out most/many of the issues that may arise. I tried one for about a week and in terms of local/network content and general XBMC UI it seemed solid and performed mostly on-par with an ATV2. I couldn't get the Hulu plugin to work, but I didn't try any of the various firmwares and alternative XBMC builds either. In general it wasn't completely ready for prime-time for me, but for many it is... especially if you can dedicate some time to experimenting with different firmwares, builds, and general setup tweaking.
Spend a little more and get a Pivos Xios DS. The support and quality will be worth it. Unless your time is worthless.Tongue
I just ordered this: http://dx.com/p/android-4-0-google-tv-pl...ack-164039

Comments, looks and specs indicate that it´s same box as G-Box Midnight, and it´s possible to install G-Box ROM on it. I hope it´s good enough for secondary box in bedroom.
(2012-12-13, 18:25)Robgue Wrote: Spend a little more and get a Pivos Xios DS. The support and quality will be worth it. Unless your time is worthless.Tongue

Seconded. I don't have a Pivos - but it's definitely the best bet at the moment. Very active dev community - both for Android XBMC and a native Linux set-up (which replaces Android)

I've got an oddball DVB-S2 Android box I'm playing with - but that's as much to learn as to use XBMC. If I were buying something 'to just work' it would be Pivos (and I may end up with one anyway!)
Amlogic M6 Dual Core
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart...13667.html
(2013-01-19, 18:59)eskro Wrote: Amlogic M6 Dual Core

Maybe read this thread before suggesting that box?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152267

Cheers, Des.
You can wait for the android devices to get more mature XBMC builds, or you can buy a Rasberry Pi now at 1/3 the price. But there are caveats, see my sig to find out if its a viable solution for your situation.
(2013-01-19, 09:47)BoxFreak Wrote: I just ordered this: http://dx.com/p/android-4-0-google-tv-pl...ack-164039

Comments, looks and specs indicate that it´s same box as G-Box Midnight, and it´s possible to install G-Box ROM on it. I hope it´s good enough for secondary box in bedroom.

it's TopHatTv box. you can flash it with THTv4 firmware. XBMC Frodo RC3 do well with the lasted firmware they had on 14-2013. just download, unzip to sd card. use a pin to push in the AV port. you will hear click sound. hold on it while unplug and plug back the power for few second before release the paperclip pin. the android flashing process will take over from there. installl xbmc frodo rc3 after system comes back and boot into android.

you can use any usb wireless and mouse with this box.even Microsoft usb wrieless keyboard works well.

ebay has it for less. search for this

ARM Cortex A9 1GHz Android4.0 WIFI Mini PC TV BOX HDMI HD 1080P 1GB RAM RJ45 AV

other retailer markup the price for installing xbmc and charge for they service. it will not do DTS with current implementation of firmware and wierd sdpif 3.5 plug port.HuhSleepy
I´ll be just using this with TV, connected with hdmi. So only stereo-sound needed. Do you mean there´s no sound at all when playing video with DTS -track? Or does it play back in stereo, but not multichannel?
no, it will down mix dts to stereo.
I think for me Android box is better. I just need to add an hdmi-cable, and install XBMC and it´s ready to go. With RPi I should buy enclosure, usb-hub, wlan etc, and suddenly it costs as much. If XBMC doesn´t work, I can always use it with other software until XBMC works better, or until I´ll find some cheap atom-ion PC second hand.
(2013-01-21, 15:04)BoxFreak Wrote: I think for me Android box is better. I just need to add an hdmi-cable, and install XBMC and it´s ready to go. With RPi I should buy enclosure, usb-hub, wlan etc, and suddenly it costs as much. If XBMC doesn´t work, I can always use it with other software until XBMC works better, or until I´ll find some cheap atom-ion PC second hand.

Yep - though equally RPi has a large community of devs.

You can get an enclosure very cheaply (if you aren't happy with velcro) - and don't need a USB hub (particularly if you have a TV with HDMI-CEC as your TV remote will control XBMC) You're right that WiFi costs extra - but I paid very little for my Wifi USB dongle - and actually don't use it - as WiFi isn't great for streaming HD content. (Though it's generally OK for webstreaming)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap android -box?0