• 4(current)
ASUS Eee Box EB1501 (+ alternative 1501 models EB1501U and EB1501P) discussion thread
Btw, it's not just RC1 that does it, I've just installed and tested the 9.11 Camelot final version and does it too under Win7 & LiveCD.

I've also just tested 9.04 Live (in nvidia mode) and with video playback set to autodetect it does the same thing, or specifying VDPAU it actually appears to work (though might still be a TOUCH fast it's watchable).

How do I ensure VDPAU mode is being used in 9.11 (especially running in Win7)?

Thanks!
FG
frankgobbo Wrote:Hi all,

Wondering if somebody can help. I've tried with XBMC RC1 running on Win7 and also the live CD on my Asus EB1501.

Most videos work fine, but I have trouble with HD stuff. 1080p is almost unplayable (eg Terminator Salvation 1080p sample) and 720p is jittery (eg Top Gear any season 14 720p mkv rip).

I can't really explain it. Sound is fine, but video it'll play approx 1 second too slow and 1 second too fast. So although overall the timing is right, it's got this weird slow/fast/slow/fast thing going on.

Can anybody help? It's using 50%+ CPU time so I'm not convinced it's taking full advantage of the acceleration..

Thanks
FG
ahem... under win there is NO vdpau acceleration (vdpau stands for "Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix", and i'd like to underline the 'UNIX part)
i guess you have to wait for dxva acceleration to be completed, but, if it was up to me, i'd head to the windows forum Smile
Okay fair call. How do I enable it on the 9.11 live CD then? I didn't see anywhere in the menu for it.

I'll bin windows on it (not fussed about it) and install the live CD.. either that or I'll install ubuntu and compile it myself.

Thanks
FG
vdpau is enabled by default in the live cd, i don't think you need to set anything, just run a video and press play (or 'o' on the keyboard)... if you see ffmpeg_vdpau as a filter, it's ok, if you see a skippy movie and no vdpau than it is not Smile
It's definitely skippy. It's the same using the 9.11 live CD as it is the 9.04 live CD with "auto detect" set. Once I set it to VDPAU on the 9.04 live CD it played flawlessly.

I couldn't see VDPAU as able to be set anywhere in 9.11 but I'll look again.
Okay yeah I'm a spaz, just found it. Okay so plays fine under live. I think I'll just compile my own XBMC and install ubuntu and do it properly.

Cheers!
Hi,

i run this Box with Win7. Does anybody have an idea to run the Remote control better?
Actually it does only react to few buttons.
The direct jump to Video, Musik, Pictures does not work, also the colour buttons the numerical buttons and the Info button! :-(
No chance to get the context menu with this remote.
Would ne so glad if somebody has any solution for that.

Nitehawk
I've been playing around with this (I'm now running Ubuntu 9.10 and XBMC 9.11 final) and I have a problem with horizontal tearing on video playback under either VGA or HDMI output.

I've tried playing around with the refresh rate of my TV (it's a Pioneer PDP436-HD plasma) and all the sync settings I could find but nothing seems to fix it. It's particularly noticable on fast moving scenes. Note that my xbox360 doesn't have this issue so it's not the TV being unable to keep up.

Under video settings -> playback, I have:

Render method: VDPAU set. What would you recommend for the rest of the settings?

Adjust display refresh rate to match video and sync playback to display are currently disabled. If I enable either of them it doesn't change. If I enable sync playback to display, what choice should I use? Audio clock / video clock (resample audio) / Video clock (drop/dupe audio) are the options.

Any advice you can give is appreciated.

Thanks
FG
frankgobbo Wrote:I've been playing around with this (I'm now running Ubuntu 9.10 and XBMC 9.11 final) and I have a problem with horizontal tearing on video playback under either VGA or HDMI output.

I've tried playing around with the refresh rate of my TV (it's a Pioneer PDP436-HD plasma) and all the sync settings I could find but nothing seems to fix it. It's particularly noticable on fast moving scenes. Note that my xbox360 doesn't have this issue so it's not the TV being unable to keep up.

Under video settings -> playback, I have:

Render method: VDPAU set. What would you recommend for the rest of the settings?

Adjust display refresh rate to match video and sync playback to display are currently disabled. If I enable either of them it doesn't change. If I enable sync playback to display, what choice should I use? Audio clock / video clock (resample audio) / Video clock (drop/dupe audio) are the options.

Any advice you can give is appreciated.

Thanks
FG

This might not work for you, but do try it, it worked for me:

- 1st Backup the xorg.conf file for safety

sudo su

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

- then edit the xorg.conf file

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

- add

Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling=Native"

- in the "Device" section, save, exit, reboot.

====================

- Test Refresh rate and resolution:

xrandr

- and

nvidia-settings -nt -q RefreshRate

===================
this has been discussed a lot before, did you ever try to search... anyway, first disable all effects on ubuntu desktop, second add
Code:
Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it should work
Spot on, thanks heaps for your help Smile
dewen Wrote:EB1501 seems have bug for lancard detection
"The Realtek Network Controller was not found",

Fix : remove everything connect to EB1501
( power cord, USB device, Lan.....)
wait for few minutes,
plug-in everything
the OS system will detect lan card and install the driver.

I am experiencing a similar problem when trying to do a LIVE (9.11 RC1) install on HDD on the eb1501:

No network interface detected. You may need to load a specific module for your network card.

that must be some kinda issue with the eb1501 which doesn't recognize the network card right away, but what you suggested fixed it for me as well at the end.
at least for windows. I still haven't tried to run the LIVE to HDD installation yet, cause last time it screwed up my windows installation due to that network issue.

therefore my question to be 100% sure:

is the 9.11 camelot LIVE install to HDD able to create a dual boot?
is it safe to do so when windows is already installed on one partition taking the whole space of the HDD?
what's the correct way of partitioning it during LIVE install to keep the windows installation working?

currently windows xbmc takes about 50sec to boot into the application, can i expect the installed LIVE on HDD to be faster?

couldn't wait any longer so I gave it a try and here are the result
(to sum it up- 9.11Camelot DOES create automatically dual boot like XP + XBMC-Live HDD and XBMC-Live on HDD is significantly faster than booting into XP and autostart)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=482...stcount=15

btw. thanks to xbmc and all the great effort behind it. hope to be able to enjoy the pleasure soon on my side - just need to get that little thingie setup first :p
Has anyone had the chance to pop it open and see if a thicker (3mm thicker then standard) drive would fit inside?

Hopefully I get mine on Monday or Tuesday and would like to get a bigger drive right away...

edit: opened and confirmed, only standard thickness will fit. There is a video on youtube documenting the opening and showing the inside of the box.
I just bought this PC and have a few questions. So far I love the little machine, except I am getting a slight stutter every few seconds on Hulu. It runs almost completely smooth, but I get a little split second hicup about every 8-10 seconds. It is ever so slight, but enough to screw with your eyes and make it an unpleasant viewing experience.

I am getting this stutter on the low and medium video setting too on Hulu, not just the High setting. Also, the stutter is noticable in the small screen, not just the full screen. The weird part is that I am able to stream 1080p YouTube smoothly through YouTube with the latest Adobe Flash 10.1 Beta 2 + Nvidias latest ION Beta drivers. Why can I stream YouTubes HD videos at full screen 1080p, but not Hulu's Low videos in a small window? This just does not make sense.

So, it is not a 'horsepower' issue. It seems to be an issue on Hulu's side. I sent their support team an email. No telling what is wrong. Why is technology still so damn difficult?! It's 2010 for gods sake.
Does anyone know where I would start searching if I want to change some of the key mappings on the remote?

edit: Seems Lircmap.xml has quite a few buttons commented out. Referencing this page, could I (for example) remove the comments around this:

Code:
<!--red>Red</red-->

And change it to this:

Code:
<red>myvideo</red>

So that the red button would take me directly to the video's ("myvideo" being a remote "button string")?

Taking this a bit further, could I change it to:

Code:
<red>ShowSubtitles</red>

As "ShowSubtitles" is one of the listed actions...

Or am I thinking about this somehow incorrectly?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASUS Eee Box EB1501 (+ alternative 1501 models EB1501U and EB1501P) discussion thread0