• 5(current)
ASUS Eee Box EB1501 (+ alternative 1501 models EB1501U and EB1501P) discussion thread
Did everyones EB1501s come with the IR remote? Mine didn't Sad

Looks like I'll be buying an MCE remote and dongle from elsewhere!
ant_thomas Wrote:Did everyones EB1501s come with the IR remote? Mine didn't Sad

Looks like I'll be buying an MCE remote and dongle from elsewhere!

I believe the Remote is "optional"

I am hoping the keyboard and mouse are not optional as the one I have bought doesnt state if it comes with Keyboard/Mouse Sad
kamina Wrote:Does anyone know where I would start searching if I want to change some of the key mappings on the remote?

edit: Seems Lircmap.xml has quite a few buttons commented out. Referencing this page, could I (for example) remove the comments around this:

Code:
<!--red>Red</red-->

And change it to this:

Code:
<red>myvideo</red>

So that the red button would take me directly to the video's ("myvideo" being a remote "button string")?

Taking this a bit further, could I change it to:

Code:
<red>ShowSubtitles</red>

As "ShowSubtitles" is one of the listed actions...

Or am I thinking about this somehow incorrectly?

simple answer: no
short explaination: that buttons aren't recognized by irw and i really don't know how to make lirc recognize them
btw, as far as i can remember lircmap doesn't work as you would like it to... it maps lirc codes to standard buttons, but all the actions are mapped in keymap
eluSive_NZ Wrote:I believe the Remote is "optional"

I am hoping the keyboard and mouse are not optional as the one I have bought doesnt state if it comes with Keyboard/Mouse Sad

That's a shame.

No idea if yours will come with keyboard and mouse but mine did. The ebay seller did state it would though. I definitely like the keyboard, very nice and useful!
Mine came with the keyboard, mouse, remote and the spdif adapter(?). I was kind of dissapointed because I thought some review mentioned getting a wireless keyboard and mouse with the computer. Can't complain though, I think it's a very nice box.
Does anyone else have an airport extreme basestation? I was getting full speed downloads for 5-10 seconds, then the wireless would die completly for 60-90 seconds and then work again for a short moment.

Following instructions I found, I installed linux-backport-modules packages and managed to get rid of the disconnects, but downloads still max out at 2-10KB/s. I dug out an old airport express and with that the wireless works as expected (of course .g is pretty slow).

I did notice that disabling WPA made things work a bit better with the airport extreme, but still not perfectly. Without encryption I could download at 100-300KB/s (my other computer downloads at about 10MB/s with my 100mbit connection).
kamina Wrote:Mine came with the keyboard, mouse, remote and the spdif adapter(?). I was kind of dissapointed because I thought some review mentioned getting a wireless keyboard and mouse with the computer. Can't complain though, I think it's a very nice box.

It looks like I got the wireless keyboard and mouse instead of the remote. Would've prefered the remote Sad
ant_thomas Wrote:It looks like I got the wireless keyboard and mouse instead of the remote. Would've prefered the remote Sad

I got the wireless keyboard and mouse with mine, they rock, it makes this a great media centre PC and with the wireless I can just put them in a draw and they're available whenever I need them. The keyboard especially is nice to use.

I bought a Microsoft original media centre remote with USB receiver, plugged it in, worked straight out of the box. Yours for about $30 from ebay, with a couple of programmable buttons.
Did anyone get the optical digital audio output working with XBMC and Ubuntu on the EB1501? It works in Windows 7 when I switch the digital output from HDMI to SPDIF, but in linux I cannot even see the red light from the cable tip. I already tried several asound.conf files with no luck. I now use the HDMI out, which works ok, but my TV doesn't passthrough DTS so I would like to go directly to my amp (no hdmi) with the optical cable.

Thanks for any help!
Sorry to bump, but any info on optical audio output with the EB1501? Thanks
stefanwa Wrote:Sorry to bump, but any info on optical audio output with the EB1501? Thanks

What info do you wanna know about the Optical Out?
nitr8 Wrote:What info do you wanna know about the Optical Out?
It looks like I can't get the optical spdif to work. HDMI audio passthrough works fine, but not the optical. I already tried several asound configs, but I can't even see "a red light" from the cable tip, which I can see when using Windows 7.
Got the optical spdif working now!
I updated ALSA to the latest version, added "options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig" to alsa-base.conf, used the .asoundrc posted in this thread and played around with the alsamixer settings. Which action cured the problem, I don't know...
Hi guys!

Those who run linux flavor XBMC on EB1501 what installation method did you choose?
- Install from Live CD to disk?
- First install full linux, then XBMC linux?
- Installer script like XCI? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69753

I'm pondering the best way as I'd like also install Samba (to share disk to my Win laptops), Cups to share printer to the network and download tools like torrent and plowshare etc.
If anyone is interested...

I'm running XBMCLive (XBMCfreaks version) from a USB stick and got the Asus MCE remote to work with these instructions here.

It's handy when I don't want to wait for the ipod touch to find the network Smile

I got the "european" EB1501 with an internal IR eye.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASUS Eee Box EB1501 (+ alternative 1501 models EB1501U and EB1501P) discussion thread0