Unable to open hebrew named files in Ubuntu
I've installed minimal Ubuntu with XBMC - everything works great - the only issue is that XBMC is unable to read or open Hebrew named files. Those files appear as HuhHuh.avi and clicking them simply does not do anything. I've added the Hebrew support and keyboard layout to Ubuntu and fully able to type in Hebrew but still can't see the file names
logictester Wrote:I've installed minimal Ubuntu with XBMC - everything works great - the only issue is that XBMC is unable to read or open Hebrew named files. Those files appear as HuhHuh.avi and clicking them simply does not do anything. I've added the Hebrew support and keyboard layout to Ubuntu and fully able to type in Hebrew but still can't see the file names

You can not read the files in Ubuntu or in xbmc ?
Are them mounted from a samba share or they are on a hdd ?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i've only checked it from XBMC, as i use minimal Ubuntu without X. I'll check if i can see those files when connecting to SSH. The files are on a mounted path - should the encoding of the mount be specified in fstab?
even from SSH it shows question marks.avi, tried editing fstab and installing hebrew support, also played with locales - still nothing... Sad
What are you exporting the files from? Does that server support Hebrew files over cifs/nfs/whatever? Make sure is exporting them first then work back from there.
the shares are from windows, where i see all the names in hebrew. is there anything i need to add to the fstab? i'm using cifs. thanks a lot for the responses
logictester Wrote:the shares are from windows, where i see all the names in hebrew. is there anything i need to add to the fstab? i'm using cifs. thanks a lot for the responses

What i use for Hungarian chars:
Code:
//10.1.0.124/Share /home/user/Mount cifs credentials=/etc/.smbcred,gid=users,uid=user,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0550,dir_mode=0770 0 0

I think utf8 should be ok.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
alanwww1 Wrote:What i use for Hungarian chars:
Code:
//10.1.0.124/Share /home/user/Mount cifs credentials=/etc/.smbcred,gid=users,uid=user,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0550,dir_mode=0770 0 0

I think utf8 should be ok.

utf8 worked!!! thanks a lot
I have the same kind of problem with 9.11 Live mounting my external drive with no utf8 support. I have a lot of single-character Chinese named folders which can't be differentiated by the current mounting process (so 60 some-odd folders all mount as ?, and the 60-whatever folders ALL wind up opening up to the same files.

I think the solution will be something like these:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=454780&postcount=5
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=246...stcount=15
but I'm not sure how to do this for any external vfat hard drive as opposed to a share.

Anyone out there that can give me a hand? I'm guessing this is a job for fstab, but beyond that I don't know what exactly to do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to open hebrew named files in Ubuntu0