AC-3 5.1 audio issues?
I am running XBMC v9.04.1 on a Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 running OS 10.5.6. I have my computer connected via optical out my HT processor, the Theta Casablanca III. I have been trying to play dvd's and .mkv files using XBMC and while I am not having any issues with he video I am having issues with the audio. In XBMC settings, I have selected digital in the audio output section and have DD and DTS selected, under audio output device I have selected built-in output and I have downmix multichannel un-selected. While playing a movie I see that the audio stream is AC3 5.1 and audio output is set to digital. All I hear from my speakers is a high pitch chattering. This happens with all of the movies I try to play through XBMC. If I play the same movies through VLC or the dvd player app. I get dts and dd 5.1 working just fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve
As far as I understand it, Macs won't send 5.1/DTS. You have to use analog output. Otherwise, you just get static and noise. I seem to remember that there is a hack to get it to work, but I got very mixed results from it and disabled it. Here's an article that explains the issue.
476429 Wrote:As far as I understand it, Macs won't send 5.1/DTS. You have to use analog output. Otherwise, you just get static and noise. I seem to remember that there is a hack to get it to work, but I got very mixed results from it and disabled it. Here's an article that explains the issue.

Not true, 5.1 and dts are wrapped in a special way in XBMC code. It does work, I just can't remember if the wrapping was in XBMC v9.04.1
Cool! That's good to know. I'll give it a try when the next version is officially released (as I fear nightly builds :-).
476429 Wrote:Cool! That's good to know. I'll give it a try when the next version is officially released (as I fear nightly builds :-).

lol, never fear the reaper.
so how do you get 5.1 from xmbc?
Probably doesn't work with v9.04.1
You need to try with a recent build. But there is no nightly build for ppc...
Will make one available soon, so that you can give it a try.
xbmc.log: /Users/<username>/Library/Logs/xbmc.log
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Have the audio issues been fixed with version 9.1.1
speters415 Wrote:Have the audio issues been fixed with version 9.1.1

I just tried it and no. No more clicking, but no sound at all if the only track is AC3 passthru :-(
AllanMarcus Wrote:I just tried it and no. No more clicking, but no sound at all if the only track is AC3 passthru :-(

More info please, You can start by giving more info, what mac, what OSX version, posting to pastebin the xbmc.log file is always helpful so we can see exactly what is going on.
Mac OS X 10.5.8
PPC G5

Where might I find the xbmc log file?
AllanMarcus Wrote:Mac OS X 10.5.8
PPC G5

Where might I find the xbmc log file?

seem my sig
Hi,

I have the following problem: 5.1 AAC encoded sound does not produce 5.1 channel sound for me. I hear only some popping sound on my receiver and it shows that I have stereo input only.

I have DTS and AC3 switched on in XBMC. In case of channel downmix to stereo, I have stereo sound.
Is there a way of having AAC 5.1 produced in 5.1 on ATV?

My config is the following:

[HTML]OS: ATV 2.3
Platform: ATV
Launcher: 3.1
Install Method: Launcher
XBMC 9.11: Alpha2
[/HTML]

movie:
http://pastebin.com/m388288d9

xbmc log:
http://pastebin.com/m34af0af5

Looks I only have problem with AAC encoded multichannel.

Movie like this plays fine on the AV Receiver in 5.1 sound:
Code:
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
   Video #1
      Format : AVC
      Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
      Format profile : [email protected]
      Format settings, CABAC : Yes
      Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
      Muxing mode : Container [email protected]
      Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
      Duration : 1h 40mn
      Bit rate : 1 532 Kbps
      Nominal bit rate : 1 618 Kbps
      Width : 720 pixels
      Height : 460 pixels
      Display aspect ratio : 1.852
      Frame rate : 23.976 fps
      Resolution : 24 bits
      Colorimetry : 4:2:0
      Scan type : Progressive
      Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.193
      Writing library : x264 core 67 r1153M 7b6ce6a
      Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy_rd=0.8:0.4 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=12 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=1618 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
      Language : English
   Audio #6
      Format : AC-3
      Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
      Codec ID : A_AC3
      Bit rate mode : Constant
      Bit rate : 448 Kbps
      Channel(s) : 6 channels
      Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
      Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

In general, what is PulseAudio to CoreAudio switch all about in 9.11? What should it bring?

cheers,
sircube
sircube Wrote:Hi,

I have the following problem: 5.1 AAC encoded sound does not produce 5.1 channel sound for me. I hear only some popping sound on my receiver and it shows that I have stereo input only.

I have DTS and AC3 switched on in XBMC. In case of channel downmix to stereo, I have stereo sound.
Is there a way of having AAC 5.1 produced in 5.1 on ATV?

My config is the following:

[HTML]OS: ATV 2.3
Platform: ATV
Launcher: 3.1
Install Method: Launcher
XBMC 9.11: Alpha2
[/HTML]

movie:
http://pastebin.com/m388288d9

xbmc log:
http://pastebin.com/m34af0af5

Looks I only have problem with AAC encoded multichannel.

Movie like this plays fine on the AV Receiver in 5.1 sound:
Code:
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
   Video #1
      Format : AVC
      Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
      Format profile : [email protected]
      Format settings, CABAC : Yes
      Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
      Muxing mode : Container [email protected]
      Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
      Bit rate : 1 532 Kbps
      Nominal bit rate : 1 618 Kbps
      Width : 720 pixels
      Height : 460 pixels
      Display aspect ratio : 1.852
      Frame rate : 23.976 fps
      Resolution : 24 bits
      Colorimetry : 4:2:0
      Scan type : Progressive
      Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.193
      Writing library : x264 core 67 r1153M 7b6ce6a
      Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy_rd=0.8:0.4 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=12 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=1618 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
   Audio #6
      Format : AC-3
      Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
      Codec ID : A_AC3
      Bit rate mode : Constant
      Bit rate : 448 Kbps
      Channel(s) : 6 channels
      Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
      Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

In general, what is PulseAudio to CoreAudio switch is all about in 9.11? What should it bring?

cheers,
sircube

Please don't trim xbmc.log, there are bits that I need to see that you have cut out.
Reproduced. Clean and complete log here.

http://pastebin.com/d9f25e24

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AC-3 5.1 audio issues?1