Studio Flag duplicates and a proposed way of fixing
With some of the newer skins, there are quite a number of studio flags included, many of them duplicates because of differing strings in the studio field of the database.

IMO this is a major issue in the way studio flags are currently displayed. Between different scrapers and (even sometimes the same ones) there are a myriad of variants in the strings returned for every studio. What would be great is if we had a list of main studios in a studios.xml file (as part of xbmc, not the skins) like so:

Code:
<studio id="21">
  <string>20th Century Fox</string>
  <string>20th Century-Fox Film Corporation</string>
  <string>20thcenturyfox</string>
</studio>

and then just have a listitem.studioid so that we can call up studio id="21". You could then display 21.png within the skin. Regular Expressions might even be the way to go in this file (but I would more than likely require some help to implement in the code).

I'm not a particularily strong C++ coder, but it might be something I can manage. If it's something that's percieved as workable I might give it a go when I get some time.
Thinking about this issue a bit more, it's probably a better method just to "normalise" the studio before it hits the DB. So still have an easily editable xml type file, and compare with the xml before adding a studio to the DB.

So:

Code:
<studio name="20th Century Fox">
  <alias>20thCenturyFox</alias>
  <alias>20thCF</alias>
  <alias>20th Century-Fox</alias>
  <alias>20th Century Fox Film Corporation</alias>
</studio>

When scanning a movie, compare against the xml, if it matches any of the <alias> values, rename to <studio name=""> value.

Not sure if this is a good way of doing things, or if it's viable performance wise?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Studio Flag duplicates and a proposed way of fixing0