Bluray (pgs) Subtitles Stay On Screen For Too Long + Inconsistent placement.
BurningSky Wrote:You can convert the subtitles to VobSubs (sub/idx) with BDSup2Sub and remux everything to Matroska (mkv).
But the subtitles will be blue, you must edit the idx file and modify the HTML color codes from RGB to BGR.

I used the same method - extracted the pgs' and converted them to vobsubs with BDSup2Sub though mine kept the correct colour, so you shouldn't need to do that. The timing issue with the pgs subs seems to only apply to forced subs, and i believe that issue was present in mpc-hc when i was ripping avatar last week. when extracting the forced subs pgs I noticed that the ending time stamp of each sub was incorrect in BDSup2Sub so i think the issue is with interpreting the actual pgs stream. The Method I used was save only the forced subs from the English subtitle, convert to vobsubs and remux into a mkv as burningsky said. This works perfectly though the vobsubs do appear to be a lower DPI (probs a limitation of the format).

Oh and if anyone knows how to remux pgs subtitle files into a mkv let me know as using the same method as above but saving the forced subs in pgs creates perfectly working pgs subs.
tungmeister Wrote:I used the same method - extracted the pgs' and converted them to vobsubs with BDSup2Sub though mine kept the correct colour, so you shouldn't need to do that. The timing issue with the pgs subs seems to only apply to forced subs, and i believe that issue was present in mpc-hc when i was ripping avatar last week. when extracting the forced subs pgs I noticed that the ending time stamp of each sub was incorrect in BDSup2Sub so i think the issue is with interpreting the actual pgs stream. The Method I used was save only the forced subs from the English subtitle, convert to vobsubs and remux into a mkv as burningsky said. This works perfectly though the vobsubs do appear to be a lower DPI (probs a limitation of the format).

Oh and if anyone knows how to remux pgs subtitle files into a mkv let me know as using the same method as above but saving the forced subs in pgs creates perfectly working pgs subs.

Clown BD can extract and remux Forced PGS .Sup from a bluray to mkv.... i'm not sure that is exactly what your asking for...

....I agree the lower DPI must be a limitation of vobsubs, the Low DPI Compared to the Bluray video is alarming. I've noticed an option in BDSup2Sub to 'Fix too short frames' I'm not sure this will solve the time stamp issue of forced subs but am going to test it out now, using the SUP(BD) Output to pursue the higher quality.....

*** EDIT: Was not what I hoped.
tungmeister Wrote:I used the same method - extracted the pgs' and converted them to vobsubs with BDSup2Sub though mine kept the correct colour, so you shouldn't need to do that.

Which version of XBMC are you using? I'm using 28256 and the subtitles are blue. Huh
tungmeister Wrote:I used the same method - extracted the pgs' and converted them to vobsubs with BDSup2Sub though mine kept the correct colour, so you shouldn't need to do that. The timing issue with the pgs subs seems to only apply to forced subs, and i believe that issue was present in mpc-hc when i was ripping avatar last week. when extracting the forced subs pgs I noticed that the ending time stamp of each sub was incorrect in BDSup2Sub so i think the issue is with interpreting the actual pgs stream. The Method I used was save only the forced subs from the English subtitle, convert to vobsubs and remux into a mkv as burningsky said. This works perfectly though the vobsubs do appear to be a lower DPI (probs a limitation of the format).

I just ran into this bug last night after muxing my first MKV with a PGS sub track.

The track did not include any forced subs, but when I displayed this subtitle track with the 31795 SVN I observe that the subtitles stay on the screen indefinitely, until the next subtitle appears. So, in essence, this is not a forced subtitle issue, it affects any PGS tracks I suspect.

It's pretty annoying. On the flip side, many streamers are not capable of displaying high resolution .idx/.sup either, so we are sort of screwed here if we have multiple devices in the home that we want to play our files on.
I noticed that my pgs subtitles stay on the screen approx 20 sec before fading away. Is this an xbmc issue?

I am using Clownbd to rip my blu-rays into just m2ts files with pgs subs.
It's a ffmpeg issue more exactly (which we use).

Oddly thou there is no bug report on the issue on their bugtracker.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

just wondering if there's been an update on the subs being displayed for too long?

Will it possibly be fixed for Dharma?
If it's of any value, I am seeing this too with an .m2ts file with non-forced subs (I just have them turned on anyway). So it does not appear to be MKV or forced-sub specific.

On a fairly unrelated note, I just installed Windows 7 onto my Revo 1600 yesterday (I had been using XBMC for XP and XBMC Live previously). I did upgrade the RAM to 2GB. I've been trying to play with Windows Media Center to see if I could be happy with that, since it does support live TV / DVR functionality, but Media Browser doesn't feel as snappy as XBMC and I couldn't get MKV's to play internally even with a codec pack installed. Today I decided to try out XBMC on Windows 7 and was quite happy to see how well my high-bitrate content played and that forced subs were working for my Avatar MKV rip (despite the bug this thread is highlighting). So all of that was just to say...you guys are great!
Follow-up question: Is there a workaround to this problem? (e.g., pressing play/pause to get the on-screen subtitles to disappear)? I tried a couple of things but it didn't seem to help.
Hello Scott_R,
An issue exists for more than one year on the XBMC bug tracking site, but it is still frozen.

For my part I search for the .srt subtitles and do not use the one ripped from the blu-ray.

Benoit
I was just wondering if there was any progress. I personally use suprip to convert my .sup files to .srt, or sup2sub as xbmc can take upto 1080p on sub/idx files.

So it's only really a matter of convenience.
Well, so far I've used MakeMKV for all of my most recent Blu-ray rips and it allows me to check off the forced subtitles and rip them without much thought/effort on my part, so I definitely like the simplicity of that. Is it possible to extract that subtitle information from the MKV file to convert it into a format that XBMC will play more happily, or would I need to go back to the source disc and rip it all over it again?
You can extract the subtitles with mkvextractgui and convert it to .srt, .sub/.idx, whatever...
BurningSky Wrote:You can extract the subtitles with mkvextractgui and convert it to .srt, .sub/.idx, whatever...

i like this gui - http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVExtractGUI-2 'mkvextractgui' is no longer being developed
Same problem here. Also, sometimes one 'event' (a line or 2) gets skipped. Has somebody already submitted a bugrepot @FFMpeg? I can't find one so I'll see if I can do something.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bluray (pgs) Subtitles Stay On Screen For Too Long + Inconsistent placement.0