[AppleTV] Display resolution of 1080i?
I have searched on this subject but I haven't been able to find a clear answer. When I set the AppleTV TV resolution to 1080i, XBMC does not display videos properly (it is vertically compressed with black bars top and bottom with 16x9 content and larger than normal black bars on 2.35 content). The XBMC menu screens display properly. When I set the AppleTV TV resolution to 720p the videos display correctly. I experimented with various XBMC screen resolutions but it didn't seem to help. Is this normal with XBMC or am I doing something wrong? I would prefer to have my output set to 1080i if possible. Thanks.

Jay
jerndl Wrote:I have searched on this subject but I haven't been able to find a clear answer. When I set the AppleTV TV resolution to 1080i, XBMC does not display videos properly (it is vertically compressed with black bars top and bottom with 16x9 content and larger than normal black bars on 2.35 content). The XBMC menu screens display properly. When I set the AppleTV TV resolution to 720p the videos display correctly. I experimented with various XBMC screen resolutions but it didn't seem to help. Is this normal with XBMC or am I doing something wrong? I would prefer to have my output set to 1080i if possible. Thanks.

Jay

The AppleTV seems to prefer 720p over 1080i. Not sure why.
Which output do you use ?
Remember that AppleTV*was designed for 720p
Sounds like you need to set the picture up for 1080i in the video adjustment, by adjusting the pixel ratio.

My Phillips plasma is 'old school' HD, in as much as it supports the broadcast 1080i and 576p but no support for the 720p and has a DVI connector in place of the newer HDMI.

Using the Apple remote.. In playback press the play/pause button and then '-' to go down and then press play again to bring up the Video settings.

The go down to the pixel ratio and adjust the settings using "|<<" and ">>|". I find the default 1.0 is fine on 576p but needs adjusting to 0.66 amd the zoom to 0.98 for 'normal viewing when running 1080i. Once your happy save the setting on 'set default for all movies'.

I find setting up with a known good quality 16:9 video is the best. A 'couple of times' at best I've then needed to change the settings for individual items, but that's all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Display resolution of 1080i?0