How to save upscaling method?
Hello All,

Since last week I have got XBMC running on ASROCK ION 330. Sine I'm new user of the system I obviously like many others have got some issues that I would like to resolve. I'm running UBUNTU 9.04 + latest SVN (I tried the stable one but I did not really improve the situation) + VDPAU drivers (1.85 or 1.90 ).
So the issue .. jerky video does not matter what is on the screen simple DVD or HD/MKV. The performance during the play shows high CPU utilization (top shows 100-115%) constantly. I have poked around and found that the issue can be resolved by changing during play "Video Settings" - > "Scaling method" from Nearest Neighbor (which seems to be the default one) to Bilinear" (would be great to know what is the difference). Anyways this change brings down CPU utilization down to ~60% and frame drops are gone. Well most of you would say "good,save the config and enjoy" but now is the tricky part - "Set as default for all movies" just does not work Sad .. it does not store this config .. and any time when I try to play another movie I must go trough this procedure again, and again... So .. is it a bug or a feature?
Is there a config file that I may change manually to set this option to be a default one? Please advice ...

Regards
K.

P.S. I saw some posts about high CPU utilization during idle of XBMC .. so I have noticed the same CPU has ~70% utilization by doing nothing ... or I assume nothing .. there are not auto library updates enabled ... nothing .. but it is always somewghere between 70-100% ... Stable release has the same ... so does anybody know what is this?
Hmm.. that is weard.. it should default to bilinear.

Not sure that "Set as default..." is used that much, but aught to work.

Fastest solution is probably to remove your current user settings and start from scratch..

Just rename your .xbmc folder to something else in your home catalog.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I just set it to bicubic in rev 24064 DX for windows and used "set for all movies". The setting worked as it should. If it isn't for you, then I'd do as elupus suggested. I checked each scaling option, and all would stick as they should when then choosing "set for all movies".
elupus Wrote:Hmm.. that is weard.. it should default to bilinear.

Not sure that "Set as default..." is used that much, but aught to work.

Fastest solution is probably to remove your current user settings and start from scratch..

Just rename your .xbmc folder to something else in your home catalog.

Thanks a lot for very prompt feedback! I did what you have said ... and it solved the issue but ... it came back and I found the way how to reproduce. Please let me know if it is a bug or a feature Smile If in the global Settings -> Videos - > Player -> "High quality upscaling" is enabled (in my case it is set for SD content only) then you can re-produce the issue , if this option is disabled then you are right everything works fine and the default one I see "bilinear" . I don't know if it is important but when I set HQ upscaling I leave default upscaling method "Bicubuic", if I set this method to VDPAU xbmc crashes any time when I try to play any movie but I guess this is entirely different issue.

Regards
K.
kingaru Wrote:If in the global Settings -> Videos - > Player -> "High quality upscaling" is enabled (in my case it is set for SD content only) then you can re-produce the issue , if this option is disabled then you are right everything works fine and the default one I see "bilinear" .
Regards
K.

The option under settings/video/player is "software based only" and will always override the options in the OSD. The options in the OSD (ie bicubic, bilinear, etc) are hardware based and will use less resources then software based since your gpu does the rescaling. Most gpu cards within the last 3 years or so do fine with their built in rescaler.
uncertainty Wrote:The option under settings/video/player is "software based only" and will always override the options in the OSD. The options in the OSD (ie bicubic, bilinear, etc) are hardware based and will use less resources then software based since your gpu does the rescaling. Most gpu cards within the last 3 years or so do fine with their built in rescaler.

I see... thanks a lot for the explanation! However ... since I'm not the first one who got confused by this, would it make sense to have a single setup instance for these features so people would not mix one with another ?

My 0.02
Regards and thanks again for your help
K.
Is that "Settings -> Videos - > Player -> "High quality upscaling" setting still in the current linux SVN? I don't have it in the windows version. It was removed a while ago wasn't it?
kricker Wrote:Is that "Settings -> Videos - > Player -> "High quality upscaling" setting still in the current linux SVN? I don't have it in the windows version. It was removed a while ago wasn't it?

I run latest Linux SVN and it is still there ...

K.
it's removed now...
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to save upscaling method?0