Encoding DVD's?
Hi Folks

I have just downloaded (and I am loving) the latest xbmc version...nice work!

Now, I've just added my entire music collection - fully ID3 tagged (no album art though hopefully this will be found!?!) to the app and this sits happily on an external drive connected to the PC via USB.

I just bought a 1TB USB based HD today for my DVD collection - around 150 DVD's....what i wanted some advices on was the best:
1) Format to rip to (I have 1TB but dont need any more than regular DVD quality)
2) How this should then be added to my new "Movies" library...

I am using DVDFab4 Platinum - can I just rip the files to a folder for each film then use it that way via XBMC i.e. just as is, as if I were abotu to burn to a blank DVD or do I need something different?

Tahnks for any help!

Colm
colm Wrote:Hi Folks

I have just downloaded (and I am loving) the latest xbmc version...nice work!

Now, I've just added my entire music collection - fully ID3 tagged (no album art though hopefully this will be found!?!) to the app and this sits happily on an external drive connected to the PC via USB.

I just bought a 1TB USB based HD today for my DVD collection - around 150 DVD's....what i wanted some advices on was the best:
1) Format to rip to (I have 1TB but dont need any more than regular DVD quality)
2) How this should then be added to my new "Movies" library...

I am using DVDFab4 Platinum - can I just rip the files to a folder for each film then use it that way via XBMC i.e. just as is, as if I were abotu to burn to a blank DVD or do I need something different?

Tahnks for any help!

Colm

welcome to the forum ...

1.) For a native ripp ... (a iso) the disk space is not enough .....
For 150 movies you would need at least 1,2 T (8GB for one movie)

2.) Transcode the movies to h264 . Do it with your purchased software /
with Handbrake / or with my ripper-script --- (it contains allready handbrake)

3.) Ripp the movie to folders and add the folder to the library...

Regards
Hans
If you rip just the main movie of your DVD it would help.
Encoding a 150 movies wouldn't be much fun and is time consuming personally I would rip just the main movie and single audio track to mkv using "Make MKV" alternatively do the same to ISO
Thumbs Up 
Cheers for the help guys.

I havent ever ripped and RUN from Hard drive...I did rip and burned to blank DVD i.e. the video_ts stuff but that was purely to back up my discs so I never run them off the hard drive.

But, as I say, just got the 1 TB Hard drive and figured I'd rip them all (over time, it will take some time for sure - last time it took me 20-30 mins for an average disc, each disc). So, what I was trying to do was figure it out how best as I say (cheers for your replies) as DVD Fab has options (other than copying) to rip for things like PSP, iPOD etc - Im really noob when it comes to what format Id need for purely PC - obviously my XBMC is rigged to my TV ... its a 32" decent TV so Im looking for hte quality to be as good as possible but equally, it doesnt need to be pixel perfect - really good would do Laugh

Figured I might just rip the main movie as you say (this option is there) and ditch subtitles etc ... then do I just put each film/tv series in its own folder say "film 1" with the video_ts and audio_ts type stuff and point XBMC at THESE folders? Will it then be smart enough to know the films and get the coverart via the various scrapers?

Again, sorry for dumb questions...just starting here!

Thanks again.
I encoded roughly 500 DVDs. Yeah, it took several months but I worked from newest to oldest so there was no pressing need. Eventually it all got done and now I have a very nice library using ~ 1TB of space and easily backed up. I left approximately 20 DVDs as .iso for movies I wanted to keep pristine but I would rip out just the movie with CloneDVD2 to save a bit of space.

Each night, I would rip 4-5 DVDs to my hard disk and then batch them up. I started with Fairuse Wizard 2 but I'm using Handbrake now both can batch. Tweak the settings I wanted for the discs and ran it over night. Rinse & Repeat. I did spend a few nights testing various formats and encoding speeds until I found what I liked. Then it was just an assembly line.

Copy the files to my NAS, run Ember Media Manger and do a good scrape (poster, fanart, extrathumbs) and then finally update xbmc's library.
colm Wrote:Cheers for the help guys.

I havent ever ripped and RUN from Hard drive...I did rip and burned to blank DVD i.e. the video_ts stuff but that was purely to back up my discs so I never run them off the hard drive.

But, as I say, just got the 1 TB Hard drive and figured I'd rip them all (over time, it will take some time for sure - last time it took me 20-30 mins for an average disc, each disc). So, what I was trying to do was figure it out how best as I say (cheers for your replies) as DVD Fab has options (other than copying) to rip for things like PSP, iPOD etc - Im really noob when it comes to what format Id need for purely PC - obviously my XBMC is rigged to my TV ... its a 32" decent TV so Im looking for hte quality to be as good as possible but equally, it doesnt need to be pixel perfect - really good would do Laugh

Figured I might just rip the main movie as you say (this option is there) and ditch subtitles etc ... then do I just put each film/tv series in its own folder say "film 1" with the video_ts and audio_ts type stuff and point XBMC at THESE folders? Will it then be smart enough to know the films and get the coverart via the various scrapers?

Again, sorry for dumb questions...just starting here!

Thanks again.

Little hint :

Use a nas with raid-1 or someday you have bloody surprise at the
day on witch the hd fails ...
linuxluemmel Wrote:Little hint :

Use a nas with raid-1 or someday you have bloody surprise at the
day on witch the hd fails ...

Sorry buddy....no idea what this is! I'm new to this stuff ;-)
I have 154 dvd's ripped (main movie) on my 1tb external drive and have 155 gigs left.
You should seriously take a look at Make MKV its fast and freeware and you can just rip the main movie or only the parts you want straight to one file .mkv, it doesn't encode the movie it just puts it in a mkv container instead of vob

Single files are much better than multiple vob files IMHO
I only decrypt out the main movie and 5.1 audio track using dvd shrink. I use dvdshrink to also compress each movie IF it goes over dvd5 size. I currently have 723 DVDs taking up about 3TB.

Re-encoding to h.264 or something will take a lot LONGER and you will be able to fit 150 dvds just using dvd shrink anyways.

I use dvdfab if there is sufficient copy protection and then run the files through shrink to compress and save as iso.
>>X<<' Wrote:You should seriously take a look at Make MKV its fast and freeware and you can just rip the main movie or only the parts you want straight to one file .mkv, it doesn't encode the movie it just puts it in a mkv container instead of vob

Single files are much better than multiple vob files IMHO

I actually used that with all my movies. I only had 2 dvd's I had to redo that didn't work right. Its a really good app.
colm Wrote:Sorry buddy....no idea what this is! I'm new to this stuff ;-)

A nas NAS is NETWORK-ATTACHED-STORAGE and can be be built
with failure-tolerance ... (this is for example caled RAID-1 or RAID5)

If you copy all your movies to a single disk ... and this disk has a failure
.... all your movies are gone ...

Cu Hans
2.) Transcode the movies to h264 . Do it with your purchased software /
with Handbrake / or with my ripper-script --- (it contains allready handbrake)

Where is this script?

Is it setup to handle more than one, like a whole directory full of ISO's to mkv?
check out handbrake, I use it for everything. I don't use the official release as that is quite old, but one of the dev releases.

I rip the DVD to ISO using DVDshrink, then use Handbrake. But it can probably do it direct from DVD. I rip first as I queue up a bunch to encode overnight and while I am at work. The queue is the best feature for doing lots of encoding.

I encode to x264, but it takes a long, long time, 2-3 hours on a Q6600, but it gives great quality with smaller file size. Would make the most of your 1TB drive.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Encoding DVD's?0