Low profile sound card - Auzentech X-Studio 5.1
Hi,

I'm looking to get a low profile sound card with digital output, and came across the Auzentech X-Studio 5.1:

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-studio.php

Does anyone think this card would have a problem working with XBMC/Windows for digital audio via optical (DD/DTS)? It uses a VIA High Quality ICE 1723 audio processor.

Cheers,
Zolt
same question here...
Hi Lone Wolf. I did end up purchasing the card and it worked without a problem. I'm running it on a Windows 7 PC, and it was just a matter of installing the card, installing the drivers, and then it worked in XBMC with no issues.

Cheers,
Zolt
I have that card. It works in Linux too.

Hi there!

Do you have DD and DTS 5.1 by optical cable?

Thanks!
It does work but I have problems with it. Apparently it was made for PCIe and it was hacked to be PCI so the drivers absolutely suck.

If you must have toslink digital you need to look at other options I think, maybe even USB.

I'm still using mine via an optical cable and have never had a problem. I'm using Windows though not Linux, and the drivers have never had an issue.
Awesome.

so did you guys notice any difference to a "normal" soundcard, for example a HD6450 which has 7.1 hd soundcard onboard ?

i know it depends on the listener, on the speakers and so on, but was it the right choice for you guys and if yes, why ?
The card just passes the audio stream directly to my receiver (bitstream?), and the receiver does the rest. So I don't think it would sound any different to another soundcard that is configured to do the same. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
That is correct.

It'd be most useful to improve analogue out sound from the PC (using the G9 Multi output Cable).
Another option that I just got going is the Asus Xonar DGX. It's a low profile PCIe card that fits well in an HP Microserver, and spits Dolby Digital and DTS out the optical output to my amp.

I note that it did require compiling the very latest version of ALSA to get it going under Ubuntu/XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Low profile sound card - Auzentech X-Studio 5.10