• 2(current)
[AppleTV] Launcher 3.2 testing
MaestroDD Wrote:mltobing, Amet, infohound112, tuckbodi thanks for testing and reporting back!

bmartani, as already mentioned in my first post, the version is not ready for public use, and only people who are comfortable with the command line should install it. We developers would be thankful, if you respected this. Please feel free to post a howto once we think this version is ready, although I don't think it'll be needed.

Sorry (shamefaced), gratitude and excitement overcame me in my eagerness to share and I admit it read but forgot the part where MaestroDD did say you should be comfortable with commandline, my bad.
Running smooth with beta1
btw, samba server is also running !

Just follow the link on awkward TV for 2.0

Cheers
Launcher 3.2 file does no exists ...

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/858897/XBMC/L...-debug.run
I have installed Launcher 3.2 beta 1 and am running the nightly build of XBMC (r24155). I access all my files from a NAS using NFS (I manually installed mount_nfs on the ATV). XBMC is streaming the files from the NAS without issue.

Thanks for the update!
fastscirocco Wrote:The instructions seemed perfectly clear to me but as I see others are getting confused this noob will try to clarify for others what to do.

Step 1. If you have not let your Apple TV update to 3.0 and want to try it you need to turn the updates back on and let it update. If you did a factory restore you need to have it update to 3.0, or if you are already at 3.0 read on.

Step 2. After it has updated to 3.0 apply your patchstick as normal, this is done to get SSH capability back.

Step 3. Log into your Apple TV via SSH using a tool like putty.exe, download link is here:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtat...nload.html

Step 4. Then type (no quotes) "wget http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/858897/XBMC/L...-debug.run"

Step 5. Then type (no quotes)"chmod +x Launcher-3.2.alpha1-debug.run"

Step 6. Then type (no quotes)"./Launcher-3.2.alpha1-debug.run" and enter the appropriate password (like it says, usually "frontrow") and answer "y" when it asks to restart the finder.

Go back to your ATV now, there should be a "Launcher" option. Download XBMC and install as usual. At this time it does not fix Boxee.

However DO NOT update Launcher as it will install version 3.1 and you will lose the "Launcher" options...yeah I learned that the hard way! ;-)

Just have few questions
====================

1) I am on ATV 3.0 the patch stick you have referred can I use the old patch stick I have created for ATV 2.4 ?

2) Also the file "Launcher-3.2.alpha1-debug.run" do I need to download this from a place ( if so pls provide the link) and then copy and type the command in the step #4
satyamb Wrote:1) I am on ATV 3.0 the patch stick you have referred can I use the old patch stick I have created for ATV 2.4 ?
yeah!
satyamb Wrote:2) Also the file "Launcher-3.2.alpha1-debug.run" do I need to download this from a place ( if so pls provide the link) and then copy and type the command in the step #4
the wget command will retrieve the file from the server.
confirming beta1 launcher works for me, but the 'software menu' doesn't .
TeknoJnky Wrote:confirming beta1 launcher works for me, but the 'software menu' doesn't .

"software menu"s author is MIA. It will be removed from the next patchstick.
MaestroDD Wrote:update to beta1

changed:
- cleanup in update controller
- added images in Settings and Downloads

As a major problem with ATV updates is always screen release (meaning Finder doesn't let XBMC/Boxee come to front), testing this aspect would be nice. Disconnect TV, reconnect, XBMC still running, screensaver, etc.

new Launcher-3.2.beta1-debug.run

For in-Launcher updates, just add an additional update source with:
Code:
defaults write com.teamxbmc.xbmclauncher XBMCAdditionalDownloadPlistURLs -array-add http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/858897/XBMC/update_urls.plist

Thanks again for testing!

cheers,
mdd

Hi,

- added the update source
- updated to 3.2(beta 1) - new icons
- TV(via HDMI) off/on - XBMC still running
- unplug HDMI / plug back in - XBMC still running

I hope thats what you meant by Disconnect

Let us know if you need more testing done
Cheers
Zeljko
MaestroDD Wrote:Hi,

as some of you might know, Apple released a 3.0 software update for the ATV, which renders Launcher (< 3.2) unusable.

We've been working with the guys from awkwardtv.org (special thanks to |bile|, the guy that does nitoTV) to get something running and currently it looks like we got it working.

As pretty much noone tested this, please use this only if you're comfortable with the commandline, ssh and such. If you're not on 3.0 yet, you might want to wait until this is working properly and a new patchstick was made.

Source / changelog available on Launcher's googelcode page

Here we go:
1) "patchstick" the 3.0 ATV
2) ssh into it and download Launcher-3.2.alpha1-debug.run
3) install Launcher chmod +x Launcher.. ; ./Launcher-3.2...
4) install XBMC with Launcher or just re-symlink your old install (ln -s /Users/frontrow/Applications/XBMC.app /Applications/XBMC.app)
5) test Wink

If something is broken, crashes, etc. please post in this thread and pastebin CrashReporter.log (~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/CrashReporter.log) and console.log (/Library/Logs/Console/501/console.log).

Thanks and happy testing! Wink

Unable to get this to work. I have reset to factory defaults and upgraded back to the 3.0. I have the 2.4 patchstick that freezes at "starting discover.." then fails. I have tried with the 3.0 dmg and the one atv-win-2.0 downloaded and created (2.4 I believe)
Hi all,

Long time follower, first time poster here...

I swear I had updates disabled on my aTV, but obviously something didn't work here, and I'm left with a 'standard' (close to useless) box!

MaestroDD Wrote:1) "patchstick" the 3.0 ATV
I no longer had a patchstick available, but followed the instrcutions from PatchStickBuilder and once again have SSH access.

MaestroDD Wrote:2) ssh into it and download Launcher-3.2.alpha1-debug.run
This URL seemes to be old, and I ended up finding and using the newer one from here: http://atv-xbmc-launcher.googlecode.com/...-debug.run

MaestroDD Wrote:3) install Launcher chmod +x Launcher.. ; ./Launcher-3.2...
Check... Easy enough

MaestroDD Wrote:4) install XBMC with Launcher or just re-symlink your old install (ln -s /Users/frontrow/Applications/XBMC.app /Applications/XBMC.app)
Launcher wasn't there (See below) so I've tried this symlink as well...

MaestroDD Wrote:5) test Wink
... And this is where I go wrong.

I should note, that following the PatchStickBuilder I have a new AppleTV menu item "Launch More!" This has four sub menu items (Applications, Scripts, Settings and About) NONE of which actually work.
When I click on them, I get the click sound, but absolutely nothing happens.

Even after completing all of the steps discussed in this thread, I still do not have any other new menu items.
How can I:
a) Fix / Delete the Launch More! menu item?
b) Add the Launcher item, so I can get to XBMC?
... Or simply c) Manually edit the menu items myself via SSH?

Any help would be appreciated!
BluBoy Wrote:[...]

This URL seemes to be old, and I ended up finding and using the newer one from here: http://atv-xbmc-launcher.googlecode.com/...-debug.run

Any help would be appreciated!

the problem is that you are using Launcher 3.1 which is not compatible with ATV 3.0

here is the link for 3.2 Beta1
Amet Wrote:the problem is that you are using Launcher 3.1 which is not compatible with ATV 3.0

here is the link for 3.2 Beta1

Hahaha - Thank you. Its working perfectly now!

While I'm here... I'm wanting to make things a bit easier for my housemates and want to rename this menu. Is there a simple file I can edit to do this?
BluBoy Wrote:Hahaha - Thank you. Its working perfectly now!

While I'm here... I'm wanting to make things a bit easier for my housemates and want to rename this menu. Is there a simple file I can edit to do this?

you mean to rename "Launcher" to "Click here to start XBMC" Smile

I am sure it can be done , not sure if there is an easy way.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Launcher 3.2 testing0