How to use the Wii Remote with xbmc
Ikarus Wrote:I just discovered a weird problem. If I disconnect the Wii remote for the purpose of saving battery life, XBMC will stop playing after 2 to 3 minutes. The log file says something about EOF reached and error reading file. Anyone else seeing this?

definatly sounds like wiiremote is unrelated. A Debug Log is needed though.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:definatly sounds like wiiremote is unrelated. A Debug Log is needed though.

I tried it many times and it's very consistent. I start a program with the Wii remote, disconnect it and the program will stop on its own a few minutes later. If I keep the remote connected, it never does that. I'll see if I can post a debug log later today.
This is how i got wiiremote to work with my acer revo running xbmc live

Ok now we'll install blueman, this is used for the wiiremote you'll need a usb bluetooth dongle for this.
To install blueman type.

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

and add to the list.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/blueman/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/blueman/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

press ctrl and o then enter to save.
Now press ctrl and e to exit the list.

Now we need to add the blueman keys,

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 951DC1E2

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install blueman

now for the wiiremote install

sudo apt-get install xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote

Now to save the setting so it works after you reboot.

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

Add above exit 0
xbmc-wiiremote &

Save and Exit

then type

xbmc-wiiremote
(this might crash putty but everything should be working fine
Check your xbmc Smile 1+2 to sync.
Today it randomly stopped working (I'm on Jaunty, btw) . . . I find it quite strange. I rebooted the computer and it still won't work; I tried running "/etc/init.d/bluetooth restart", that didn't help either.

I even upgraded to 9.11 (which I had been intending to do anyways, after all) which installed a new version of xbmc-wiiremote. Still no dice.

Then I got an idea, and ran "/etc/init.d/bluetooth stop". After running that, and then running xbmc-wiiremote, nothing happened! This is surprising because in the past xbmc-wiiremote has spit out errors when bluetooth is down (usually because the bluetooth dongle fell out without me noticing, heh). But now it's acting completely nonplussed by the lack of bluetooth.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's up? It's gonna be kindof annoying if I have to go back to using a keyboard on my projector+xbmc computer.
XBMC on a barebones (K)Ubuntu 10.04
....on a PIII 600mHz with a GeForce 8400GS 512mb PCI, yes my HTPC can play hi-def videos despite being mostly manufactured in 1999.
type
ls usb

maybe youre stick is not recognized as "hid". or was it "hci"?

something like this:

Code:
~$ ls~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 046d:c709 Logitech, Inc. BT Mini-Receiver (HCI mode)
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:0b02 Logitech, Inc. BT Mini-Receiver (HID proxy mode)
http://www.xbmcnerds.com - german xbmc community
Hi,
i still have the problem with the wiimote, it keeps connecting and disconnecting.
I'm on ubuntu 9.10 64.
I've also installed blueman but nothing changed.
If i connect the wiimote with wmgui i never get disconnected, with xbmc-wiiremote the connection last 4-5 seconds then it disconnects and connects again.
Any help?
Did you edit /etc/rc.local ? Strange fish I've always been lucky with the wiimote worked without fail maybe its the dongle or bluetooth you're using.
lefty420 Wrote:Did you edit /etc/rc.local ? Strange fish I've always been lucky with the wiimote worked without fail maybe its the dongle or bluetooth you're using.

i tried with onother one, same result.
About editing rc.local i guess it just autostarts the xbmc-wiiremote
Unless I edit the rc.local the wiimote doesnt stay synced. I'd try edit the rc.local do a sudo reboot and see what happens. If its working it should detect the wii remote when xbmc loads you just need to sync it then with 1+2 on the wiimote.
Is it possible to use 2 Wii remotes via 2 Bluetooth dongles?
Hi guys, I'm having the same disconnection problem with my XBMC build (from SVN rev 25122) on Debian / amd64.

The Wiimote works fine for 2 to 3 seconds, then disconnects, then reconnects, then disconnects, again and again. I do not have any issue of this kind with wminput or uinput, and as one could expect editing /etc/rc.local did not help at all.

Available for tests if needed.
kwyxz Wrote:Hi guys, I'm having the same disconnection problem with my XBMC build (from SVN rev 25122) on Debian / amd64.

The Wiimote works fine for 2 to 3 seconds, then disconnects, then reconnects, then disconnects, again and again. I do not have any issue of this kind with wminput or uinput, and as one could expect editing /etc/rc.local did not help at all.

Available for tests if needed.

Seems like this is related to cwiid, it doesn't behave well under x64. there is a wiiuse client available in svn which should work.

BatterseaPS Wrote:Is it possible to use 2 Wii remotes via 2 Bluetooth dongles?

No problem, just start 2 eventclients and they should handle it. You can distinctly tell one to connect to the one wiiremote aswell if you wish (shouldn't be needed). Just know that there is zero gain in having two remotes as XBMC can't distinguish them yet.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Seems like this is related to cwiid, it doesn't behave well under x64. there is a wiiuse client available in svn which should work.
Tobias

how can i get wiiuse?
thanks
topfs2 Wrote:Seems like this is related to cwiid, it doesn't behave well under x64. there is a wiiuse client available in svn which should work.
Hi, thanks for your quick reply.

Here's what I tried:

kwyxz@ollie:/usr/local/src/xbmc/tools/EventClients/Clients/WiiRemote$ make
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/xbmc/tools/EventClients/Clients/WiiRemote/wiiuse_v0.12/src'
gcc -Wall -pipe -fPIC -funroll-loops -O2 -I. -c classic.c -o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/classic.o
gcc -Wall -pipe -fPIC -funroll-loops -O2 -I. -c dynamics.c -o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/dynamics.o
gcc -Wall -pipe -fPIC -funroll-loops -O2 -I. -c events.c -o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/events.o
gcc -Wall -pipe -fPIC -funroll-loops -O2 -I. -c io.c -o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/io.o
gcc -Wall -pipe -fPIC -funroll-loops -O2 -I. -c io_nix.c -o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/io_nix.o
gcc -Wall -pipe -fPIC -funroll-loops -O2 -I. -c ir.c -o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/ir.o
ir.c: In function 'interpret_ir_data':
ir.c:628: warning: array subscript is above array bounds
gcc -Wall -pipe -fPIC -funroll-loops -O2 -I. -c nunchuk.c -o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/nunchuk.o
gcc -Wall -pipe -fPIC -funroll-loops -O2 -I. -c guitar_hero_3.c -o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/guitar_hero_3.o
gcc -Wall -pipe -fPIC -funroll-loops -O2 -I. -c wiiuse.c -o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/wiiuse.o
gcc -Wall -pipe -fPIC -funroll-loops -O2 -shared -lm -lbluetooth release-x86_64-linux-gnu/classic.o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/dynamics.o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/events.o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/io.o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/io_nix.o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/ir.o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/nunchuk.o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/guitar_hero_3.o release-x86_64-linux-gnu/wiiuse.o -o ./release-x86_64-linux-gnu/libwiiuse.so
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xbmc/tools/EventClients/Clients/WiiRemote/wiiuse_v0.12/src'
g++ -Wall -pipe -fPIC -funroll-loops WiiUse_WiiRemote.cpp wiiuse_v0.12/src/release-x86_64-linux-gnu/libwiiuse.so -o WiiUse_WiiRemote
In file included from WiiUse_WiiRemote.cpp:18:
WiiUse_WiiRemote.h: In constructor 'CWiiController::CWiiController()':
WiiUse_WiiRemote.h:106: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'

I then ran the resulting binary WiiUse_WiiRemote and got the following (I of course pressed 1+2 to sync the Wii Remote):

kwyxz@ollie:/usr/local/src/xbmc/tools/EventClients/Clients/WiiRemote$ ./WiiUse_WiiRemote
wiiuse v0.12 loaded.
By: Michael Laforest <thepara[at]gmail{dot}com>
http://wiiuse.net http://wiiuse.sf.net
[INFO] Found 1 bluetooth device(s).
[INFO] Found wiimote (00:22:4C:8D:F9:4A) [id 1].
connect() output sock: Invalid argument
[INFO] Found 2 bluetooth device(s).
^C

Am I missing something here ? Thanks again.
topfs2 Wrote:No problem, just start 2 eventclients and they should handle it. You can distinctly tell one to connect to the one wiiremote aswell if you wish (shouldn't be needed). Just know that there is zero gain in having two remotes as XBMC can't distinguish them yet.
Hmm, so there's no way to use 2 Wii controllers for a 2-player game on XBMC Live? (I reckon it can be done on a Linux install via Xwii.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to use the Wii Remote with xbmc0