DIRECTX build - autoswitching and vsync changes
@A600: What type of GPU do you have? If anything, CPU usage should be lower using exclusive mode I should think.

No idea about SRT subs - shouldn't make any difference whether in exclusive mode or not I should think - it's just rendering fonts after all.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

UPDATE: There was a bug that prevented second monitors resolution showing up in the spinner.

It's fixed in r24192. If someone with 2 monitors can test it out I'd be most grateful.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:@A600: What type of GPU do you have? If anything, CPU usage should be lower using exclusive mode I should think.

An Nvidia 8400GS. I forgot to comment that windowed mode doesn't have the high CPU usage problem.
jmarshall Wrote:UPDATE: There was a bug that prevented second monitors resolution showing up in the spinner.

It's fixed in r24192. If someone with 2 monitors can test it out I'd be most grateful.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thanks for working on this Jonathan Smile

The settings for the second monitor now appear, but fullscreen still goes to the primary monitor. I think the CopyRect from r24161 may still be needed? And changing from D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT in RenderSystemDX to 1 (for the secondary monitor) results in it going to the second monitor.
A600 Wrote:So far, it seems to work pretty well but I noticed two bugs:

- High CPU usage when in the gui.
- SRT subtitles aren't displayed with fullscreen (windowed mode works fine)

I compiled r24159 and the bugs aren't there so I guess the autoswitching and vsync changes are the culprit.

Hi to you all !! Keep up the good work guys ! I've had the same problem with
the auto refresh rate feature which is now working properly , but when
the res was normally changing to 23.976 hz the subs where not appearing.

I've solved it by doing the following . Go to the xbmc profile folder (windows version )
, default is appdata/roaming/xbmc/userdata and edit the file guisettings .
It's a little mess in there but you have
to find the line that has to do with 1920 * 1080 23.98 hz resolution
(or with what ever resolution you are having the problem) .
Then locate the parameter <subtitles>1250</subtitles> .
You have to change the value 1250 to something lower .
In my case 1050 worked just fine and the subs are now officialy working !!

I hope this helps whoever has this similar problem and in a future svn the bug
will be automatically resolved.

Oh . And forgive me if i did something wrong in my way of posting (this is my first time).
Wanted to post my findings from last nights testing session i did.

I ran about 20 different videos at varying rates/resolutions/framerates.

Here's what I found

With VSYNC turned ON and Auto Refresh Rate turned OFF:
1.) Pressing "Tab" show main menu causes the entire application to "hang" and become unresponsive to keyboard and mouse. Screen turns white, and stays white until I CRTL-ALT-DEL force windows to repaint the screen. I have close the program by ending it in the task manager.

2.) After about 4 or 5 videos, the next video played will sometimes not show anything (black screen) or show the first rendered frame and freeze at that frame. Steps to return to the desktop are the same as those in #1.

3.) Pressing "Esc" to move to main menu causes the same problems #1. Steps to return to the desktop are the same as those in #1.

4.) Stepping forwards or backwards in a video will sometimes cause the issue described in #1. Steps to return to the desktop are the same as those in #1. It does not matter which step size (small, regular, big) is used.

With VSYNC turned ON and Auto Refresh Rate turned ON:
1.) Pressing "Tab" show main menu causes the entire application to "hang" and become unresponsive to keyboard and mouse. Screen turns white or flashes white periodically while showing XBMC in the main menu, eventually staying white until I CRTL-ALT-DEL to force windows to repaint the screen. I have close the program by ending it in the task manager.

2.) After about 4 or 5 videos, the next video played will sometimes not show anything (black screen) or show the first rendered frame and freeze at that frame. Steps to return to the desktop are the same as those in #1.

3.) Pressing "Esc" to move to main menu causes the same problems #1. Steps to return to the desktop are the same as those in #1.

4.) Stepping forwards or backwards in a video will sometimes cause the issue described in #1. Steps to return to the desktop are the same as those in #1. It does not matter which step size (small, regular, big) is used.

5.) Monitors definitely switches to different refresh modes which was confirmed when I saw my monitor using different underscan/overscan settings at 24Hz. I don't believe my monitor was switching when I tried a 30fps video, which isn't a terribly big deal.

Other Notes:

Playback was noticeably smoother than before. I didn't even need to use to Auto Refresh Rate because of how well it played with just VSYNC enabled.

Whenever video playback froze, sound continued to play until I forced XBMC to close via the task manager.

Leaving XBMC in debug mode, would also cause it to become unresponsive when playing a video sometimes.

Debug logs showed no errors when freezing up. The only messages I could glean from it were when the threads were closed (automatically due to me closing XBMC from the task manager).
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
oDium Wrote:I've solved it by doing the following . Go to the xbmc profile folder (windows version )
, default is appdata/roaming/xbmc/userdata and edit the file guisettings .
It's a little mess in there but you have
to find the line that has to do with 1920 * 1080 23.98 hz resolution
(or with what ever resolution you are having the problem) .
Then locate the parameter <subtitles>1250</subtitles> .
You have to change the value 1250 to something lower .
In my case 1050 worked just fine and the subs are now officialy working !!

Thanks for the tip!

An easier way is to calibrate the screen and change the subtitles position.
A600 Wrote:Thanks for the tip!

An easier way is to calibrate the screen and change the subtitles position.

I am glad if the above method works for you my friend but I tried that
with absolutely no success. Whenever i was
calibrating the subs at 1080p60 , the new alligned position only
worked at that exact resolution.

When the auto refresh rate is turning my refresh at 23 hz
the subs are off again. There is no sub calibration when the
video is playing at the correct resolution and refresh , so i couldn't do it
from there either.

I also tried the following with no success. I changed the resolution and
refresh rate manually from my desktop and entered xbmc. Xbmc was
reporting a weird resolution then (1080i24) . But i am sure that my
lcd was set in the correct 1080p23 . I calibrated the subs , started a movie
without auto refresh rate ( because logically the refresh rate was already
correct) , the movie played as smooth as silk but again no subs!!

And finally one other thing i noticed is that when i manually switched back
at 1080p60 from 1080p23 and entered xbmc all the previous calibration was lost!
Hope all these helps if someone experiences something like that .
jmarshall Wrote:UPDATE: There was a bug that prevented second monitors resolution showing up in the spinner.

Cheers,
Jonathan

setup: screen 1(monitor) with 1680x1050 res. screen 2(TV per vga) with 1360x768 res, os win7, graphics by ati hd3650.

compiled both 24200 GL and DX for testing this with different results:

1. GL:

selection "1360x768@60Hz at Screen#2" is available again. when selected though, xbmc stays on screen #1, but in a "resized" fullscreen variant without any borders aligned on top left of the screen.
screenshot:

2. DX:

selection "1360x768@60Hz at Screen#2" is available again. when selected, xbmc changes the resolution of screen #1 to fit 1360x768. in addition, sidebar gadgets of windows move to screen #2. looks like it switches primary/secondary screen. on closing of xbmc all reverts back.

not tested any video playing because of that behaviour of the ui.

tell me if/when you need logs and/or gimme a pm when you need further testings.
cheers,azido :;):
I have the following little problem: When I stop a video, the cursor is not placed at the position of the last played video file in the video file list, but to some other position in the list. This is quite annoying when browsing through different videos, does anybody else have that problem?
Please don't hijack the thread! Make your own instead.
Subtitles problem should be easy to fix.

Fullscreen problem is not as easy as I thought it would be. In fact, it's a right pain in the arse. Entire D3DDevice needs tearing down and restarting.

I do, however, have it working, though I'm not 100% satisfied with it as yet.

The freezing problems are interesting - I have absolutely no idea what could cause that, but will attempt to reproduce.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Since the debug logs aren't showing anything really useful, I'm trying to think of any other reporting resource in Windows that could potentially help. Perhaps something was written in the event logs in Windows.

Also, to go into a little more detail about the freezing issue I see, there are some peculiar things going on:

Like, the time it takes for XBMC to show a completely white screen, after hitting tab or esc while showing a video is not exactly a finite amount time. Sometimes no flashing occurs and the screen just goes white. Other times, the screen exhibits 1 or more seconds of flashing, where I can clearly make out the XBMC gui. During the flashing I can successfully invoke XBMC to do something via the keyboard or mouse. Once the screen stays white, XBMC is no longer controllable in any fashion (though the mouse still registers movement).

Sorry if I can't convey what I am seeing in a better way :/
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
@joshuass:

If you're around NOW, pop onto IRC please, #xbmc on freenode, and ask for me.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

it's the first time that the auto refresh rate switching is working on my system Big Grin

The testing was done on a Windows 7 system with an ATI4600 (Catalyst 9.9)
- Auto refresh rate:On
- VSync: On
- Sync to audio (passthrou)

1920x1080x24 -> working
1920x1080x50 -> working
1920x1080x60 -> working

Switching from GUI to VIDEO and vice versa -> working

Result -> Cool

Thank you very Jonathan... best Windows version I ever tried...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DIRECTX build - autoswitching and vsync changes0