DIRECTX build - autoswitching and vsync changes
Noticed that elupus fixed the flashing white I saw in 24246. Can't wait to check it out later tonight.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
azido, I'm a big "not fan" of people telling other people that they don't need what they need. Meaning I have great respect for everybody's needs. Computers, after all, are here to do our bidding (at least so far).

On the other hand, your usage pattern could hardly qualify, don't you think?

I sincerely hope that there will be a way of providing you with what you need, but from other programs/media centers experience and browsing their respective forums and communities, I doubt it would be wise to do without exclusive mode. For many configurations it's the only sure way of getting properly smooth playback.
ashlar Wrote:On the other hand, your usage pattern could hardly qualify, don't you think?

umh, dunno. that's the way of my usage for xbmc since day one. that's the reason why i connected my tv to the computer at all.. i am very happy with the situation of having a pc fast enough to both serve as media center running on tv while doing other stuff on primary monitor. i was even more happier when i found the app translating my remote commands to keys usable for xbmc is able to use the AutoIt command "ControlSend" which furthermore even enabled me to still use my remote with xbmc while i'm doing something else like browsing or whatever. that opened the possibility of having my family sitting beside me watching a movie and having control over xbmc while it doesn't have to be in focus and i can do something completely else.

finally this made me lucky that i don't have to buy another pc just for xbmc, since all can be done on the one i already have.

and now that xbmc for windows seems to go dx-exclusive in the future with THAT behaviour (completely disappearing as soon as i click on something else on screen#1) i'm about to loose all that comfort. i guess you imagine that somehow means a worst case for me.

given that, i hope i will be able to create GL builds for windows in the future, since they still work the way i want them to.
cheers,azido :;):
I use my xbmc i a much simular way as Azido , i browse (read this forum and such Wink while the mrs and our kids watch a movie at the same time . im just hoping that there will be some kind of workaround for the individuals that use the setup in this way.
jmarshall's suggestion seems like a reasonable approach. Though, I have no idea how difficult it would to implement.
ATI HD3200 Onboard
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
I've already done it, as there was a similar system setup for OSX (though the logic was the other way around there). Just gotta test it out. It won't be in Camelot Alpha 1, but will be in the next alpha/first beta.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I also use XBMC on my second monitor (TV) while doing things on my primary monitor. Either my wife's busy watching something and I'd rather go on the computer or vice-versa. It's nice being able to use both at the same time... like checking utorrent for my tv episodes status while we're busy watching last weeks episode :p

It sounds like it'll be a while for that non-exclusive mode advanced setting to be put into the current builds? I'll just stick without updating for a while. 24114 is working great for me at the moment!
Quote:I also use XBMC on my second monitor (TV) while doing things on my primary monitor.
+1

Quote:I suspect the number of people who are using XBMC _non_focused_ on a second screen while doing other stuff on the first screen is minimal.

Given that there's likely no way to ensure that XBMC doesn't lose exclusivity on focus to some other window, I propose an advanced setting that allows non-exclusive mode (and thus no guarantee of vsync).
Yes, we are probably a minority with that screen setup and exclucive mode should probably be the default, but I had no playback problems in non-exclusive mode. I think the advanced setting is a good idea.
jmarshall:
DX non exclusive on vista/win7 with aero enabled will never tear.. Thus exclusive is pointless.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:jmarshall:
DX non exclusive on vista/win7 with aero enabled will never tear.. Thus exclusive is pointless.

thank you Wink
jmarshall Wrote:I've already done it, as there was a similar system setup for OSX (though the logic was the other way around there). Just gotta test it out. It won't be in Camelot Alpha 1, but will be in the next alpha/first beta.

Cheers,
Jonathan

i would be more than happy to do a dx build with your diffs included to test.
elupus Wrote:jmarshall:
Right. Because XP users don't matter now? Since when?

Edit: question coming from a Windows 7 user.
ashlar Wrote:Right. Because XP users don't matter now? Since when?

Edit: question coming from a Windows 7 user.

i guess this wasn't meant to exclude xp users, but to make clear using an advanced setting for non-exclusive dx usage will not harm the users video experience as long as aero is part of his os and it's activated.
Much in the same way DX10 doesn't work in XP. I would venture to say that fully supporting 2 more recent Windows versions would be better than supporting the older version.

It doesn't mean it wont work, just means that vsync and no tearing isn't guaranteed (as I perceive what the earlier posts were about).

Nod
ATI HD3200 Onboard
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
joshuass Wrote:Much in the same way DX10 doesn't work in XP. I would venture to say that fully supporting 2 more recent Windows versions would be better than supporting the older version.

It doesn't mean it wont work, just means that vsync and no tearing isn't guaranteed (as I perceive what the earlier posts were about).

Nod

i suspect fullscreen dx in exclusive mode (whatever that means, i dunno shit about that at all) does somehow guarantee the best possible video performance on xp xbmc can give? then i'd say go for it to make them happy. many ppl with valid reasons don't upgrade to vista/win7 and should still have the best they can get.

and if i can get the same experience with an alternative method that keeps xbmc staying on screen#2 without having focus because aero somehow magically takes care of all that tearing and vsync trouble (which in fact i can confirm though i don't know the technical reason) - i would love to have that method being available for my above reasons.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DIRECTX build - autoswitching and vsync changes0