Hardware help
I'm trying to figure out what I need for hardware for my xmas present to myself from newegg. Hah-hah. I currently have a TVIX 6500 that I'll most likely ebay if I can get an XBMC HTPC setup to replace it. My wallet is barren so doing this cheap is necessary. The main reason for abandoning the TVIX is that it tends to crash/freeze frequently enough to piss me off, and its handling of Music Files is horrendous. It doesn't play MP3s consistently(truncating) and its limited to organizing music via folders. I don't want to reorg all my music for the stupid thing, so something that has a DB of meta info for music would make me happy. Hence here I am. I'm just fairly overwhelmed with the hardware info. I'm looking at a zotac nvidia ion board with 2gb ram, but after that I'm a bit lost. The information on remotes here is tricky at best, and finding a decent cheap case is presenting me with trouble.

I saw the Acer Aspire Revo AR1600-U910H in another post and that sounded like it might be the quick and dirty way to go.

Succinctly here's my problem set and requirements.

Thanks!

Blueray Supportt = Don't Care, don't want, don't need
HD Support = 720p and 1080p files to play smoothly from LAN(gigabit)
Recording support = Don't need, nor want
OS = Linux
Storage = I want to stream everything, so whatever is cheap and quiet.
Easy of use = I'm using a TVIX now, so something similar; i.e. boot/wake to xbmc immediately,
Power on/sleep/wake = WAF(Wife Approval Factor) Requires remote,
I/O = HDMI and Optical output required; I prefer component but I think I have to take the plunge to HDMI if going HTPC route
Setup = intermediate; I run linux on my laptop for work, I run OSx86 for my fun pc
Noise level = Its a htpc, so low
Remote = I have a harmony 880, I want something that can respond to that, I've unified all my home theater components to use it, I don't want to have another remote

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware help0