[AppleTV] Problem Displaying Unicode in MP3 Tags?
Hello. I'm a long time XBMC on Xbox user and have just switched over to XBMC on AppleTV. I had run it on AppleTV briefly when it was first released, but ended up going back to Xbox. Now that I have my Broadcom card on order, I'm back, excited about the upcoming HD playback!

I'm using XBMC r24183. I've noticed that unicode characters are showing oddly when looking at MP3 files. In File mode, for instance, when I navigate to the bôa - Get There (2005) folder, it displays correctly, but when I enter the folder and view the MP3 files, it shows the artist as:

Bôa

Similarly, when I navigate to Björk - Gling-Gló (1990), it displays fine, but if I go into the folder, I see the artist as:

Björk

I use Last.fm to scrobble my tracks. When I play and submit tracks from those two artists, bôa shows up on the Last.fm website as Bôa, but Björk shows up fine!

I've noticed this problem using PM3.HD and Rapier.

Because I'm a new AppleTV user, I thought I would post the issue here before submitting the bug officially. It could be that I'm missing something obvious in the settings...
Have you specified the correct charset in Settings->Appearance->Region?

Note that this has zero to do with platform - it'll do the same thing on every platform.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I have the following settings:

Region: USA
Language: English (US)
- Charset: Default

Which is also how I have my Xbox set. Another odd thing I've just noticed is that artist and song titles on MP3 tracks are being cut off at 30 characters. I have a few albums in the M4A format and I'm not seeing the tags get cut off there. Could XBMC for AppleTV be reading just the ID3v1 tags? Could this be causing the problem with unicode characters?

The only thing I have in my advancedsettings.xml related to <musiclibrary> is <prioritiseapetags>true</prioritiseapetags>, which I also have on my Xbox. To be sure, I removed it and restarted XBMC on AppleTV, but the problem persists.

I'm seeing this in File mode, so I don't think it could be related to a corrupt Library or anything.

Although unrelated, I don't hear any navigation sounds at all in either PM3.HD or Rapier. Even if I change Navigation Sounds from Skin Default to Bursting Bubbles, I still don't hear anything. Very strange.

This morning I updated from yesterday's build (r24155) to today's (r24183) hoping something flukey was going on, but no luck.
To satisfy my curiosity, I reverted back to the stable build, 9.0.4.1. Doing this has fixed two of my three problems. Navigation sounds are back and I am now able to browse to set the path for backgrounds, something that resulted in an empty browse box on the latest builds.

Unfortunately, the MP3 tag problem remains: unicode characters don't show properly and ID3 tags are cut off at 30 characters.
KevinSartori Wrote:Although unrelated, I don't hear any navigation sounds at all in either PM3.HD or Rapier. Even if I change Navigation Sounds from Skin Default to Bursting Bubbles, I still don't hear anything. Very strange.

Nav sounds have been disabled until we can replace SDL_Mixer which is causing problem with coreaudio like crashing and hanging. see http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/23978
Supply an example mp3 file.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Sure, I hope Megaupload is okay:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SJV59BGS
jmarshall, did you have any luck reproducing this on your end? It occurred to me after uploading and posting that I should have edited one of the tags so that it ran more than 30 characters so you could check that too.

Here's a new MP3. I've changed the Song Title tag to "TheQuickBrownFoxJumpsOverTheLazyDogs", so you could see it cut off and only display "TheQuickBrownFoxJumpsOverTheLa". Also, I added a bunch of unicode characters to the Artist tag: bôa ö ó Þ ð é æ ä. I've clipped the file to 30s, so it's less than 1MB now and uploaded it to my Comcast server space:

http://home.comcast.net/~p-l-m.blogspot/...g.Test.mp3

Let me know when you have it so I can remove it on my end! I would love to see this fixed!
I have the file.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Assuming that it's supposed to show "boa" followed by a bunch of other random characters separated by spaces, it works fine in win32.

Will test OSX in a bit.

Shows up identically on OS X as well.

EDIT: Unless prioritiseapetags is on. Looks like dll inconsistencies.

Fixed in r24450/51.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Problem Displaying Unicode in MP3 Tags?0