[LIVE] Starting my Journey
I am about to embark on rolling out XBMC in my house. I think I have the architecture figured out - Have a HP Home Server on its way to jump start me on the back end (and I got a good deal on it). I am about to order the first Acer Aspire Revo AR1600 for the client where I am going to install XBMC LIVE.

I have just a few questions as there is a TON of activity in this forum, and honestly I am not sure what I am looking for.
  • How do I create content for the library?
  • How do I manage the library?

I apologize for not finding this info, but like I said - there is a ton of info, most of it very complicated and I am just starting out and would like to keep it simple at this time
Perhaps you could be a little more specific in your questions. What do you mean when you say, "create content"? Like, how do you shoot and edit movies and tv? I'm assuming not, but a little more info would be helpful.

Answering that question should help with the second one. XBMC does not require much in the way of library management. You point it at your folders, it goes to work.
Yes I can -

My want is to eliminate my 400 disc DVD changer and get those DVD's in a format (.iso?) on a share. Asking the forum on how best to do this ... I'd like to keep the DVD experience available and best resolution available.
Do you want dvd menu's and extras or just the movie?
Yes I want the menu's and extras, just like the DVD experience :-)
Then in that case just rip the dvd to an iso image. I use dvdshrink, but pretty much any app will work for it.

Rip them and then save them using sensible names, i.e

Movie Folder
-The Matrix
--The Matrix.iso
Welcome to the world of XBMC.

I currently am using WHS as my back end and really have enjoyed how easy it is to set up and use. One thing that I found is to use the Videos fold that is already provided, and then add on folder for movies and then another for TV, if you are going to have tv shows on there too.
So long and thanks for all the fish.
prae5 Wrote:Then in that case just rip the dvd to an iso image. I use dvdshrink, but pretty much any app will work for it.

Rip them and then save them using sensible names, i.e

Movie Folder
-The Matrix
--The Matrix.iso

Adding (year) will make them more scraper friendly. eg The Matrix (1999)/The Matrix (1999).iso
timothy Wrote:Yes I can -

My want is to eliminate my 400 disc DVD changer and get those DVD's in a format (.iso?) on a share. Asking the forum on how best to do this ... I'd like to keep the DVD experience available and best resolution available.

Welcome to the club and I did the samething you are about to embark on around 4 years ago when I sold my sony 400 dvd changer on ebay and setup a htpc.......You will never look back once you are done ripping.....Its an awesome experience...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Starting my Journey0