XBMCLive (Error 2: Share not available)
FishOil Wrote:I have a ZOTAC MAG and am completely satisfied with the way it works. I used the XCI script to install XBMC. This is a standalone HTPC. I cant think of any function that does not work as it should (including SMB streaming).

Give the XCI script a try.

...thats exactly the script i am using. hah. so, im not sure then. maybe i will reload it and give it a shot.
So i have tried everything that has been listed, from changing packet, Adding IP address as share, reinstall after reinstall, Updating the SMB files from Ubuntu, uninstalling Live asistant.

I think i know what is the problem in my scenario anyway. I have two " servers" fro my SMB sharing and an Acer revo 3610 for a player. Have had nothing but issues playing with both of the machines running Windows 7. My one Server will share and play non Live version of XBMC no problems. But my LIve version on my ACER tons of issues. I have built 6 of these units, every on of them has had issues.

So i did the registry edit adding Smb2 line with " 0 " to disable, and voila worked. I did only one machine first, and the other machines did not like that one anymore.... wouldnt share with it anymore at all. So its eveident if you have Windows 7 machines, and i mean plural they prefer to communicate through SMB2 format. Which wont let Live share with them at all. So after i disabled SMB2 on all the machines. Not a problem now, two more machines built for people and every one of them works fine now.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=461741&postcount=2

do this on every Windows seven machine on network, including any laptops. They will flip to SMB2 if this is not done.

I couldn't figure out why they wouldnt work at my house, but deliver the unit to Client works in there Environment fine. But most people only have one " Server " running the windows 7. So it defaults to SMB sharing, only when two machines are on the network running 7 they flip to SMB2 and will not accept SMB at all. Hope this helps everyone, i have been experimenting with different installs and different machines using Live, and this is my conclusion.
I had used the xci-script to install xbmc.
And had the same problem too,
when i had used domain names for my nas in the sources.xml
i changed the name to an ip-address and it worked without error!!!

Hope it help someone
can you explain that a bit more therealwakka?
all i had to do was add these to my sources.list
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main restricted universe multiverse

and then
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Press THANK USER if I Help
i did a complete reinstall of live with the xci script.

and straight away, when i tried to add sources via smb in xbmc, i got the error.

i managed to fix the error, by adding in the source manually, and using the ip address, instead of the actual name of the server.

everything is working perfectly now.
Not sure if this has been resolved and I admittedly don't know much about linux but I also kept getting "error 2" when I tried to browse for smb shares.

I got it corrected by editing

Code:
/etc/samba/smb.conf

Specifically I did the following:

1. made sure my workgroup name was correct.
2. un-commented i.e. removed the semicolon from
Code:
name resolve order=lmhosts host wins bcast
3. un-commented and changed
Code:
;   interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 eth0
to
Code:
interfaces = ra0
4. un-commented
Code:
bind interfaces only = yes

Rebooted and my shares came right up.

As you can see I am using wireless, my supposition is that some how it was defaulting to eth0 which is unplugged and that is why I was getting the error.

Regards
David
Thanks for that, worked perfectly for me Smile

davhas35 Wrote:Not sure if this has been resolved and I admittedly don't know much about linux but I also kept getting "error 2" when I tried to browse for smb shares.

I got it corrected by editing

Code:
/etc/samba/smb.conf

Specifically I did the following:

1. made sure my workgroup name was correct.
2. un-commented i.e. removed the semicolon from
Code:
name resolve order=lmhosts host wins bcast
3. un-commented and changed
Code:
;   interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 eth0
to
Code:
interfaces = ra0
4. un-commented
Code:
bind interfaces only = yes

Rebooted and my shares came right up.

As you can see I am using wireless, my supposition is that some how it was defaulting to eth0 which is unplugged and that is why I was getting the error.

Regards
David
solved
Just to add, I had this issue now with Dharma Beta 3. I was using the Night Skin when I was unable to add smb share to my media. I think switched to Confluence and it was fine, I added the sources when back to Night Skin and all seems fine?! Strange, I didn't do anything else different.
But this one did:

http://littleq.net/2010/05/xbmc-issues-with-smb/

just for the record and the chance that someone will seek this info in the future

=)
chris2922 Wrote:Yes muDD you're right, looks like the process of installing XBMCbuntu doesnt include the Samba Client or File System. Or at least not with the guide i used:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

Without Samba we can't browse our smb shares.

I've just installed XBMCbuntu from scratch and taken slow/small steps towards fixing this in the hope of working out exactly what we all need to do. Works for me now, and as someone said in an earlier post - it actually scans and scrapes a hell of a lot faster if you 'mount' the shares. About 1-2 seconds per film as it just did my collection.

Following an install of XBMCbuntu, when you get the Error 2 Share Not Available error do this to fix:

*note: im using a remote linux command line program called Putty.exe to log in to my XBMC box. (google it) This way i can run command line stuff on a windows machine with the internet to hand should i get in a mess. Its also handy for copy/pasting longer commands into Putty.*

If you installed Ubuntu Server 9.10 and then XBMC you'll find the 'xbmc' user doesnt have root privaliges. If this is the case, either add the 'xbmc' user to the sudoers list, or log in as your main user - a member of 'sudoers'.

From the command line Install 'smbfs' & 'smbclient' (Samba File System & Samba client):

sudo apt-get install smbfs smbclient

This installs about 50mb of stuff and then returns to the prompt.

My NAS box has a static ipaddress so for me i need to enter the following command to check for shares now i have samba installed:

smbclient -L 192.168.1.xxx -U%

You'll have to change the ip to match yours, or use the 'name' of the server instead.

Now to get that extra bit of scraping speed we will 'mount' the shares locally rather than scan for them each time.

To mount you need to create a local folder to serve as a mount point for each share. I have 2 shares on my NAS box, one called 'Film' and one called 'TV'.

So i create 2 folders in my 'xbmc' users /home folder.

Im currently logged in as my /root enabled user (so i could install samba earlier) so i changed login here (closed Putty.exe and reopened it).

Now im logged in as 'xbmc' i created 2 folders:

cd ~
mkdir film
cd ~
mkdir tv

To mount the 2 shares on my NAS to these 2 local folder each time i boot up i need to edit the 'fstab' file. This requires /root privs again, so if you have to, change users again by loggin out and back in. Then as your root powered user:

cd ~
cd /etc
sudo nano fstab

This file is a bit confusing to be honest. Just go to the bottom of the file and enter as many new lines as you need new mounts. I have 2 to add.

My NAS has a username/password system in place. I have had to add the credentials to the end of the mounting commands - change them to match yours or remove them if you have none.

Mine look like this (2 lines only for me, so theyre different colours in case your screen is squashing them):

//192.168.1.xxx/share/TV /home/xbmc/tv smbfs auto,username=xbmc,password=xbmc
//192.168.1.xxx/share/Film /home/xbmc/film smbfs auto,username=xbmc,password=xbmc

Now 'Ctrl-X' to exit, press 'Y' to save, then 'Return' to overwrite your existing 'fstab'.

Now reboot, and when back in XBMC, instead of trying to 'browse' for a source in 'smb', go into 'home' and use your mount points.

This has just worked for me fine. If you cant be arsed with the whole mounting thing, just going back to the top of this post and entering:

as root at command line will fix the Error 2 Share Not Found error. Im just so impressed with the added speed this method got for me i thought id share.
Oh dear, that was a terrible pun....

This worked great for me. The thing I struggled with for a while was the username and password. Its the username and password on your server/computer etc. I wrote "xbmc" because I thought it was the username/password for my HTPC. But this works! Big Grin
For me to get smb shares working I did

Code:

at command line and then went into xbmc settings to network, went to the "SMB client" option and then selected the workgroup name as though I was going to edit it. It already had the correct name so I just hit enter again to apply it, then hit escape and it asked me "XBMC needs to restart to apply your settings". Hit okay and xbmc restarts (not reboot) and SMB shares could be found now.

Hope this helps
chris2922 Wrote:I've been using XBMCLive on a usb stick for years without this problem, but ive just installed XBMCbuntu to a hard drive, and error 2 share not available appeared when i tried to browse to my smb share.

Booting from the usb stick raises no such problems, so its not the remote drive thats the issue for me.

I fixed this problem on my install by adding user 'xbmc' to the sudoers list.

Im using SSH from a Windows box, so entered 'sudo visudo' and added a line uner my admin account that adds 'xbmc' to the admin list. Remember, its case sensitive.

Hope this fix works for the rest of you.

This is pretty much what did it for me, I had to add back my xbmc user to the list of users (sudoers) and make it admin.

So from prompt: sudo adduser xbmc
Then to make it admin: sudo adduser xbmc admin

But now my xbmc will only boot to the prompt andnot straight to xbmc. I have to log in, type startx, then it boots xbmc. Then I can access my shares no problem. But why is it not booting into xbmc on its own?
adam71o Wrote:For me to get smb shares working I did

Code:

at command line and then went into xbmc settings to network, went to the "SMB client" option and then selected the workgroup name as though I was going to edit it. It already had the correct name so I just hit enter again to apply it, then hit escape and it asked me "XBMC needs to restart to apply your settings". Hit okay and xbmc restarts (not reboot) and SMB shares could be found now.

Hope this helps

After trying everything else, this is what worked for me

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCLive (Error 2: Share not available)0