XBMCLive (Error 2: Share not available)
chris2922 Wrote:Yes muDD you're right, looks like the process of installing XBMCbuntu doesnt include the Samba Client or File System. Or at least not with the guide i used:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

Without Samba we can't browse our smb shares.

I've just installed XBMCbuntu from scratch and taken slow/small steps towards fixing this in the hope of working out exactly what we all need to do. Works for me now, and as someone said in an earlier post - it actually scans and scrapes a hell of a lot faster if you 'mount' the shares. About 1-2 seconds per film as it just did my collection.

Following an install of XBMCbuntu, when you get the Error 2 Share Not Available error do this to fix:

*note: im using a remote linux command line program called Putty.exe to log in to my XBMC box. (google it) This way i can run command line stuff on a windows machine with the internet to hand should i get in a mess. Its also handy for copy/pasting longer commands into Putty.*

If you installed Ubuntu Server 9.10 and then XBMC you'll find the 'xbmc' user doesnt have root privaliges. If this is the case, either add the 'xbmc' user to the sudoers list, or log in as your main user - a member of 'sudoers'.

From the command line Install 'smbfs' & 'smbclient' (Samba File System & Samba client):

sudo apt-get install smbfs smbclient

This installs about 50mb of stuff and then returns to the prompt.

My NAS box has a static ipaddress so for me i need to enter the following command to check for shares now i have samba installed:

smbclient -L 192.168.1.xxx -U%

You'll have to change the ip to match yours, or use the 'name' of the server instead.

Now to get that extra bit of scraping speed we will 'mount' the shares locally rather than scan for them each time.

To mount you need to create a local folder to serve as a mount point for each share. I have 2 shares on my NAS box, one called 'Film' and one called 'TV'.

So i create 2 folders in my 'xbmc' users /home folder.

Im currently logged in as my /root enabled user (so i could install samba earlier) so i changed login here (closed Putty.exe and reopened it).

Now im logged in as 'xbmc' i created 2 folders:

cd ~
mkdir film
cd ~
mkdir tv

To mount the 2 shares on my NAS to these 2 local folder each time i boot up i need to edit the 'fstab' file. This requires /root privs again, so if you have to, change users again by loggin out and back in. Then as your root powered user:

cd ~
cd /etc
sudo nano fstab

This file is a bit confusing to be honest. Just go to the bottom of the file and enter as many new lines as you need new mounts. I have 2 to add.

My NAS has a username/password system in place. I have had to add the credentials to the end of the mounting commands - change them to match yours or remove them if you have none.

Mine look like this (2 lines only for me, so theyre different colours in case your screen is squashing them):

//192.168.1.xxx/share/TV /home/xbmc/tv smbfs auto,username=xbmc,password=xbmc
//192.168.1.xxx/share/Film /home/xbmc/film smbfs auto,username=xbmc,password=xbmc

Now 'Ctrl-X' to exit, press 'Y' to save, then 'Return' to overwrite your existing 'fstab'.

Now reboot, and when back in XBMC, instead of trying to 'browse' for a source in 'smb', go into 'home' and use your mount points.

This has just worked for me fine. If you cant be arsed with the whole mounting thing, just going back to the top of this post and entering:

sudo apt-get install smbfs smbclient

as root at command line will fix the Error 2 Share Not Found error. Im just so impressed with the added speed this method got for me i thought id share.
Oh dear, that was a terrible pun....

I'm trying to do the above but for some reason it doesn't seem to mount the drives on boot. The only thing different is the share doesn't require a username and password so i deleted the username and password parts. If i ssh into the machine and send the command sudo mount -a it asks for a password (which i leave blank) and all the shares are mounted correctly so i believe my entries in fstab are valid. Have I done something wrong?
I'd had this problem too. Fixed it my reinstall the SMB setting using this guide

http://redherring2.wordpress.com/2009/06...tup-guide/

Search for SMB
InsaneNutter Wrote:Thanks for that, worked perfectly for me Smile

Cheers worked here too!
Rainbow 
I've tried a lot of possible solutions here and in other threads about the same error under wireless and sometimes it works once, sometimes it doesn't.

The thing that ALWAYS works for me is

goto:

System > Network > SMB Client > Wins Server
Dont change anything, just click in DONE

XBMC process will ask for restart. OK. Black screen. Error 2 gone.

Weird, isn't it?
henrylol Wrote:I've tried a lot of possible solutions here and in other threads about the same error under wireless and sometimes it works once, sometimes it doesn't.

goto:

Weird, isn't it?

Hi

Thanks it does the job and I think this is the quickest and easiest way
henrylol Wrote:I've tried a lot of possible solutions here and in other threads about the same error under wireless and sometimes it works once, sometimes it doesn't.

goto:

Weird, isn't it?

That worked for me as well. Thanks for that. I installed smbfs and smbclient first though, so I don't know if that made any change, but following your advice, the error is now gone.

EDIT: This workaround does not work anymore. At first, you had to redo this procedure each time the box was restarted. Very annoying but doable since this does not happen often. However, now this not work anymore so I'm off to adding the shares in fstab instead. However, as a result, I most likely have to reimport everything again and manually check every movies for proper import. If this works, then I can live with it, but if it still screws up, I have no other choice than to roll back to Karmic and an older version of XBMC.
Problem: Instant "Error 2" when browsing for SMB sources while on wireless. It wasn't specific to a particular machine I was browsing, because I couldn't even get that far Smile

I tried many suggestions in this thread first, so I can't say with certainty that this is all you need to do, but I fixed it by simply installing Samba:

sudo apt-get install samba

Rebooted and the problem went away.
What IS this problem? It's so strange!

I was trying to get FTR add-on to work, and I just couldn't get the permissions right. As I am an IT-technician, I found it hard to admit that I had done something wrong Rolleyes
Anyways, I just continued adding video sources instead, and then I got this nasty, ugly "Error 2: share not available". BAH!
(And I thought Eden would be better...)

Anyways, I then installed samba:
Code:
sudo apt-get install samba
sudo shutdown -r now
Then I crossed my fingers, tried reaching the share through SMB again. *POW!* Workgroup is listed, open *POW!* all my computers are listed.
Finally my GBIT-network was acting as it should.
One thing; computer-name was "XBMCLIVE", under network it says "XBMC"?
This is the file "Hostname".
Changed it with:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/hostname
Then called it what I wanted.

Thanks guys!
Installing samba seems easiest. Why isn't it standard?
I had this issue and while I could not find any windows live essentials pack here is what I figured out was happening, I am running apple tv 2 on eden 11.0 running windows 7, sharing was fine on vista thru smb, I upgraded to windows 7 and the problems began although I did have it set up and had to reconfigure my settings the problem was my password, every time I changed my password on my login to windows on my pc, Xbmc requested the new password so basically all I had to do is connect to my wifi and set the password as it is on my pc and voila it works, hope that helps some one!
Smile 
Thank you sooo much. I've had this error before and was NEVER able to solve it. Just started happening with my Raspberry Pi, running XBian XBMC.... I got cross. Googled, found this forum (had been here before!)

and ...shazam... Worked.

Only difference being it's under
System -> Settings -> Services ->SMB Client !!!

Thanks a million. All EXISTING shares now work again!!! YEAH.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCLive (Error 2: Share not available)0