How to movethe Launcher Menu on the AppleTV
Here is a quick how to to move the "Launcher" menu on an appleTv to a different position on the screen. If anyone figures out how to rename "Launcher" to "XBMC" (or anything else, for that matter) please let me know.
1) SSH into your appleTv
2) type "cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns/XBMCLauncher.frappliance/Contents/"
3) type "sudo nano Info.plist" and enter the password ("frontrow")
4) use the arrow keys or pageUp/Down to scroll to the bottom of the file
5) look for a pair of lines that look like this:
Code:
<key>FRAppliancePreferedOrderValue</key>
<real>1.5</real>
6) change the number inside the <real> tags to reflect the position you want it to be in. Each existing menu item has a position value that starts at 1 and increases by 1 for each menu item, starting with Movies (Movies is 1, TV Shows are 2, Music is 3, etc). I changed the value to 3.5, which places the Launcher menu after the Music menu, in the middle of the screen. This is aesthetically pleasing for me, and logically groups the three main media categories together for those that use the native interface more frequently than xbmc.
7) press Ctrl+X to exit nano.
8) press y to save.

Now to restart Finder so the changes will be reflected.
9) type "ps awx|grep [F]inder" you will see something like this.
Code:
452  ??  S      5:23.18 /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder -psn_0_1835009
The first number is the pid. in the example above, the pid is 452
10) type "kill [pid]" replacing [pid] with the number from the above step. In this case, we would type "kill 452"
11) the Finder will quit and should relaunch. if it does not, type "open /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app"
12) Your menu is now moved
thank you
to rename "Launcher" you need to edit
Quote:/Volumes/OSBoot/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns/XBMCLauncher.frappliance/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings

then restart the finder as per the instructions in OP

Zeljko
certainly looks like the file to edit. doesn't look easy to edit though. at least not in nano like done above. looks okay in a gui editor like textmate though
prolly have to save it to ~ on the apple and use ssh to move it properly with sudo mv.
Arr MiHardies Wrote:prolly have to save it to ~ on the apple and use ssh to move it properly with sudo mv.

thats exactly how I did it.

Cheers
Zeljko

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to movethe Launcher Menu on the AppleTV0