• 3(current)
[LINUX] Add VAAPI (VA API) Video Acceleration API support?
CrashX Wrote:What videocard do you have ? Did you pass any arguments to make during compile to support vaapi ?

Ubuntu 9.10+ATI HD4670+XvBA0.6.10+OGL4preview drivers. I follow the instrucctions of the wiki

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_compi...ource_code
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ian/Ubuntu
Here my first .deb i hope work ok. for all people who whant to try vaapi without compile

http://www.divshare.com/download/11053178-fed
Hi all,

With regard to the new version XBMC, somebody Knowns if xbmc 10.05 is going to completed support for VAAPI??

I would like run xbmc whith intel chip

Thanks
djhalmy:

If by intel you mean the gma500 then it all depends on if intel get's their ass into the game and releases drivers can be used. Current drivers don't support render to pixmap which we absolutely require to work. (found this out yesterday)

For the more normal intels with G4X chipsets, it aught to work already, thou have no hardware to test it.

<edit> Truth with alot of modification. the above link about intel gma's are better to look at. You need full accelaration for it to work in xbmc.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:If by intel you mean the gma500 then it all depends on if intel get's their ass into the game and releases drivers can be used. Current drivers don't support render to pixmap which we absolutely require to work. (found this out yesterday)

Hmmm, I was hoping that this new VA-API support would mean I could run this on a fit-pc2. That platform does support full 1080p video playback on Linux using a modified mplayer version, using VA-API.

Is there something special about the way XBMC uses VA-API that would prevent it from doing the same (the remark about "render to pixmap" above)?

Quote:<edit> Truth with alot of modification. the above link about intel gma's are better to look at. You need full accelaration for it to work in xbmc.

Not sure I understand you here. For one, there's no link...

Maarten
I meant this link....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#T...phics_core

And no, the fit-pc2 doesn't work at the moment. It's a driver issue which should be solved whenever intel releases the moorstown platform (they will release new drivers that are backword compatible).

The fit-pc2 has a GMA500 aka Poulsbo, it does not support rendering (vaPutImage) to pixmap which is an absolute requirement for it to work in xbmc.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

elupus Wrote:I meant this link....
And no, the fit-pc2 doesn't work at the moment. It's a driver issue which should be solved whenever intel releases the moorstown platform (they will release new drivers that are backword compatible).

The fit-pc2 has a GMA500 aka Poulsbo, it does not support rendering (vaPutImage) to pixmap which is an absolute requirement for it to work in xbmc.

Am I summarizing this correctly as: XBMC with VA-API requires vaPutImage driver support which is currently not available in the GMA500/Poulsbo drivers but the GMA500/Poulsbo hardware could support that call via a driver update. So it's a matter of waiting for Intel to add that support to their drivers, which is expected with the Moorestown drivers release (is there any expected date for that?!?).

Correct?
Yup correct.. Only thing i've heard is june/july

srv1973 Wrote:Am I summarizing this correctly as: XBMC with VA-API requires vaPutImage driver support which is currently not available in the GMA500/Poulsbo drivers but the GMA500/Poulsbo hardware could support that call via a driver update. So it's a matter of waiting for Intel to add that support to their drivers, which is expected with the Moorestown drivers release (is there any expected date for that?!?).

Correct?

I wonder how the Fit-PC2 was rendering without vaPutImage then in Mplayer?
elupus only you're working on vaapi? I just checked the source commit and just see your nick in terms vaapi. Really thank you very much your effort, is greatly appreciated Smile
Hi

Great work on the VAAPI stuff, will really help a lot of us power conscious users.

Is there any indication of this being available in the next LIVE version?

And if so when can we expect the new LIVE version to be shipping?

EDIT: I got it working using the deb from Megacubo. Although a lot of extra packages were needed. I also got it autostarting Megacubo version but I'm suddenly missing all my fanart/poster. If I login on the minimal fluxbox and run xbmc from there I get posters but editing the .xsession file to start /usr/local/bin/xbmc instead of /usr/bin/xbmc equals no poster.

The VAAPI is although working on my AMD 780G+4850e setup. There is some greenish about the picture. Using the 10.2 fglrx drivers and XvBA0.6.11 and libva1_0.31.0-1+sds11. So it definitely works although the greenish has to go away :-). Ill wait for the next live edition unless someone has an idea to fix the missing thumbs/fanart using Megacubo package.

Best
Linnemann
AMD Phenom x4 9150e
785G with HD4200 IGP (rv600 based I think . . .)
512mb allocated system ram to video memory
3 gig DDR2 667

Hacked XBMC Live HD install:
Ubuntu server x86
gcc build environment added
XvBA-video 0.6.10-1
libva-0.31-1
ATI propietary drivers 10.3
XBMC dependencies
XBMC svn 29376 compiled from scratch

I get weird rastering I guess you would say. Sorry, my video terminology is probably not ideal. Audio is fine; the movie is playing, but I get garbage on the screen. Most often it's only partial and on the right while the rest of the video is squeezed into a smaller frame to the left.

Unfortunately I'm at work. I will post screenshots and logs when I get home.

I had a question about the splitted desktop libraries. I installed libva because xvba asked for it. But I also noticed a xvdpau-video library that is described as a backend for vaapi. Will I need that as well? Should I even be concerned about adding these packages separately or will they be built from the main source?

I have tried a number of things from switching codecs to installing the preview drivers and then reverting back. Nothing seems to change.

Thanks.
libva is what is required to compile xbmc. the vdpau backend is needed if you have a nvidia card, the xvba if you have a ati

Ok I think I get it now. Thanks for clarifying.

. ----- XvBA (ATI)
. /
. libva --
. \
. ------ VDPAU (nvidia)
OK got it working. Most of my issue was incompatible codecs. Any further explaination would expose my idiocy. =)

My hardware probably puts me at the low end with an IGP and shared system ram, lower speed DDR2, and a 1.8 gig processor. And still, playback is flawless on my setup. This is good news! I have not tested 1080p movies. I cant get my monitor into 1920x1080 even though its supposed to support it. I will hook up my HDTV later this week and post a few screenshots.

Also I'm up to r29433 compiled from svn.

• 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Add VAAPI (VA API) Video Acceleration API support?1