• 6(current)
[LINUX] Add VAAPI (VA API) Video Acceleration API support?
I tried it with r30380. Compile was ok for me, but with an nvidia backend i have a lot of problems:

- Playback is "jumpy". Frames get still for a few refreshes, sometimes go back and forth on frames.

- Sometimes i get low framerates.

- i lost all interlacing options.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Just checked the trunk and now VAAPI is there.

Unfortunately the playback is somehow broken.
I've a 720p display but the source is 1080p.
What I see looks somehow like this:

Code:
--------------------
|     X     |       |
|------------       |
|                   |
--------------------

The upper left rectangle (the one with the cross) shows some part of the film but the lower and right area is only showing graphics errors.
It seems that it's somehow some 1080p/720p scaling issue!?
The X-rectangle seems to have the 720p size compared to the rest of the screen.
The part of the film which is shown within the X-part is only the left upper part of the film itself - so it's not scaled down to fit into the X-part.

Any idea? I'll check it with 720p sources later.

Cu
Markus
There are no interlace handling support with vaapi.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Hi elupus. Do you guys have any plans to support de-interlace with vaapi?
If the api adds support for it yes, but that is not the case currently.

Hey elupus,

is there a way we can help to track down the problem with the jumpy frames? Just for the case you cannot reproduce the error.
Anyone else suffering from a green tint / tinge when using vaapi and a Radeon HD4550?

Regarding jumping frames, I would check the Audio / Video sync options to make sure Audio is synced to Video and not vice versa
elupus,

the strange screen behaviour is due to the lacking de-interlace-support?
720p sources look beautiful... I wouldn't expect my 1080 sources to be 1080i... or didn't I get the point? :-) Thanks!
Markus72:
Nah your issue is something else.

I tried all sync options, but the video was still jumpy.
And xbmc is going into zombie mode if I stop a movie, but this seems to be related to the current state of the svn.
I can confirm the jumpy experience even if sync is enabled.
If sync is enabled I also cannot cancel a movie or quit xbmc without having zombies.
I can confirm, that this also happens with the version bundled with Mythbuntu.

@hal2100: ATI GPU?

@elupus: maybe a stupid question, but shall we enter these issues into a bug tracking tool?
Yes, hd3200 afaik, an onboard igp. 780 something chipset.
Have a hd4200 onboard igp, 785 chipset...

But I have to correct myself - seems to be a driver issue with that sync thing... MythTV also zombies if opengl-sync is enabled and proprietary driver is used... so it's rather a driver than a xbmc issue.

Opensource driver works fine with it but not with xbmc... :-)
Smile 
Good to see that there is some development going on with VAAPI now. I tested it yesterday on my HTPC with an onboard ATI HD4200. When I purchased all the parts for my HTPC I read a lot about hardware decoding and every website claimed that ATI is currently the best on the market. What they didn't say that this is just the case for windows. Under Linux the hardware decoding was never really supported. Sadly. So I never fully unleashed the power of my HTPC. It was just sitting there since September last year.

I used the paa from yavdr and was able to activate VAAPI but the picture was lightly green and when I stopped the movie xbmc froze. I guess I just wait for the next stable XBMC release. I just sold my Silverstone GD01MX case anyway on eBay. Looking for a new one when VAAPI is usable.

Never the less keep up the good work! XBMC is great!Nod
Yup do enter vaapi related issues on bug tracker. Make sure VAAPI is in the topic of it. Try to keep them bunched together thou on similar issues / hardware. Feel free to add me on the cc list of them.

• 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Add VAAPI (VA API) Video Acceleration API support?1