• 1(current)
[LINUX] Add VAAPI (VA API) Video Acceleration API support?
Lightbulb 
Before anyone complains that this is a duplicate feature request, please note that there are several other threads relating to AMD xvba support; however, none of them correctly identify VAAPI as the API to target.

Now that Intel, ATI/AMD, Nvidia and VIA hardware all support the VA-API standard, I would like to suggest adding VA-API support to XBMC to allow for ubiquitous linux HD Decode support.

See the related Phoronix Article indicating that VA-API support for ATI and Nvidia cards has now been released.

Here are that patches that add VA-API support to FFMPEG.

Support Ticket #7590 added to Trac.
We're awaiting ffmpeg to incorporate it. Once they do, things can start moving forward, though I don't know if anybody on the team is planning to work on it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Would also be nice if the documentation wasnt such a train wreck.
Was actually looking at it yesterday. But yea hardly any docs and api seems to be changing alot.

But I do agree it would be really nice to support.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Any news on this? I know this isn't upstream yet, but there are patches for ffmpeg and I think it would be awesome to have hardware acceleration with all three major gpu vendors...
I'm definitely interested in this as well, since I run an Intel X4500HD.
Looks like the hwaccel bits are in the SVN-included ffmpeg now... I just manually enabled it by building the latest libva dpkgs (from http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/libva/ using the Debian instructions on Ubuntu Karmic), installing the resulting libva1 and libav-dev, adding the "--enable-vaapi" and the five or so "--with-hwaccel=" types to the ffmpeg section of the main "configure" script and it showed the hwaccels in the list so maybe it will sort of work. Or spectacularly crash. Or make no difference since I don't have any of the supported accel backends on any of my video cards (and i run XBMC on an ancient Duron 1300 with a crap FX5200 PCI). But anyway I thought I'd mention it seems like the stuff is there now, maybe, and how to probably enable it, if anyone wanted to try getting hwaccel going with their ATI or whatnot.
OK, it crashed the compile miserably. Not ready yet, or the libVA lib version has to match what this ffmpeg expects (since apparently everything is still changing daily with vaapi/libVA). It was worth a shot.
Has anyone run metrics on it? How much will it *theoretically* offload on say a 4500 Intel chip?
Not ready for prime time so forget all hopes of this until it hits ffmpeg svn trunk.
Any updates on this?
Not really, but i'll be improving the infrastructure in xbmc while adding support for dxva using the same method. So maybe i'll look at vaapi later. Would have to use the vaapi->vdpau backend thou.

It would be great to have vaapi as a client and use the engine would like XvBA=ATI VDPAU=NVIDIA ¿Vaapi=Intel?
Would those Patches be a solution:
http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauch...yer-vaapi/
Any news on this?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Add VAAPI (VA API) Video Acceleration API support?1