The Woxter i-cube 750 - a xbox replacement option?
Recently I read a review about the Woxter i-cube 750. I guess I'm not the only one hoping for a HD capable XBOX replacement in the near future. Has anyone tried to install linux/xbmc on it?

Specs: http://www.c4i.com.pl/PDF/FTiCube750english.pdf

review (translated from Dutch): http://translate.google.com/translate?pr...ry_state0=

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
This looks like one of those boxes like popcorn hour, where an Intel/AMD cpu is not used. If so, it'll be much trickier to install anything like XBMC on this, but I could be reading the specs wrong.
The article lists it as using an Realtek chipset for the video decoding. I think this is just another of these low-cost media players that are popping up. They usually don't have and 3D capabilities either. I don't think this can run XBMC - ever.

If you are looking for a xbox replacement look for an Nvidia ION based system.
Hi,

I bought one Friday to replace my XBOX. I have more and more MKV and nor the XBOX or the 360 can read that format.
It's a "nice" little box with everything I need (except the ugly gui and the gigantic remote). I'm gonna "try" to install XBMC on it. It's a Linux VENUS 2.6... and Busybox is installed. I can access it via telnet.

Were can I introduce myself ? It's my first post...
Renaud Wrote:Hi,

I bought one Friday to replace my XBOX. I have more and more MKV and nor the XBOX or the 360 can read that format.
It's a "nice" little box with everything I need (except the ugly gui and the gigantic remote). I'm gonna "try" to install XBMC on it. It's a Linux VENUS 2.6... and Busybox is installed. I can access it via telnet.

Were can I introduce myself ? It's my first post...

You can't install XBMC on it it, the device uses a Realtek chipset running linux but it is not x86 based which is what is required for XBMC that and it does not have a GPU either.

The GUI is indeed horrendous I have the same player from another company expect is called the AC Ryan PlayOn HD.
Thanks for the responses. To bad it can't run on these kind of low-budget HTPC solutions. There are so many different versions popping up and looking at the capacity they have it should be well enough for XBMC. This one seemed especially interesting because of the internal SATA HDD option, the option to add wifi (n) and most of all the scart connector.

It's probably been discussed... But is it not worth the effort to make XBMC compatible with the chipset (if possible at all)? I bet even a lot of commercial products would choose to use XBMC instead of developing and maintaining their own versions of the embeded software. This would be a huge benefit for the XBMC community and XBMC itself!

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
There is work done on making XBMC compatible with ARM based systems. But since XBMC needs a 3D processor that is OpenGL 2.0 (ES) capable, most of the systems will not run it. Even if XBMC could run on the Realtek chip there is still no way of making the user interface available on these machines. This is also the reason why most of these small machines have very ugly user interfaces - they are as simple as possible because the the machines can't handle anything fancy. Simply having the decoder chip for HD content and various codecs simply isn't enough for XBMC.
Ok, I get it. It's a no-go .
I wouldn't want XBMC without it's pretty face. Thanks for clearing that up Smile

Yeah, and have you ever used a Popcorn Hour? Slllooowwww.

And I hear about many XBMC users switching to them -- however, I just don't get that..
Starstream Wrote:You can't install XBMC on it it, the device uses a Realtek chipset running linux but it is not x86 based which is what is required for XBMC that and it does not have a GPU either.

The GUI is indeed horrendous I have the same player from another company expect is called the AC Ryan PlayOn HD.

Do you know any other FW to instal on it??

I have also a ACRyan PlayonHD, that is pretty much the same hardware...
Aren't there any USB 3D accelerators, that could support the 2D video card? Maybe a useless question, I'm just trying to think out of the box Smile

would anyone build me a good system with the lcd screen and every single thing you can put on an an xbox drivin by xbmc? I could figure it out but i would pay good for someone to do it for me..and customize the system as well..i would also have a game list of xbx/ps2 games i would lvoe to have preinstalled along with all the normal emulators...
(2014-09-26, 05:06)marine33 Wrote: would anyone build me a good system with the lcd screen and every single thing you can put on an an xbox drivin by xbmc? I could figure it out but i would pay good for someone to do it for me..and customize the system as well..i would also have a game list of xbx/ps2 games i would lvoe to have preinstalled along with all the normal emulators...

That... has nothing to do with this thread, and XBMC has nothing to do with xbox anymore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Woxter i-cube 750 - a xbox replacement option?0